- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Breast Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 921607, 8 pages
Improving Breast Cancer Outcomes among Women in China: Practices, Knowledge, and Attitudes Related to Breast Cancer Screening
1School of Nursing, Eastern Michigan University, 311 Everett L. Marshall Building, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
2Wuhan Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College and Department of Nursing, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, China
3The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Received 4 April 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Rebecca A. Shelby
Copyright © 2012 Tsu-Yin Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Bener, H. Ayub, R. Kakil, and W. Ibrahim, “Patterns of cancer incidence among the population of Qatar: a worldwide comparative study,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2008.
- A. Bener, H. R. El Ayoubi, B. Basha, S. Joseph, and L. Chouchane, “Breast cancer screening barriers: knowledge, attitudes and practices of women toward breast cancer,” Breast Journal, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 115–116, 2011.
- WHO, “Breast cancer: prevention and control,” http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/breastcancer/en/index.html.
- H. Chiun-Sheng, C. King-Jen, and S. Chen-Yang, “Breast cancer screening in Taiwan and China,” Breast Disease, vol. 13, pp. 41–48, 2001.
- J. M. Yuan, M. C. Yu, R. K. Ross, Y. T. Gao, and B. E. Henderson, “Risk factors for breast cancer in Chinese women in Shanghai,” Cancer Research, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1949–1953, 1988.
- F. Jin, X. O. Shu, S. S. Devesa, W. Zheng, W. J. Blot, and Y. T. Gao, “Incidence trends for cancers of the breast, ovary, and corpus uteri in urban Shanghai, 1972–89,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 355–360, 1993.
- Y. Zheng, C. X. Wu, and F. Wu, “Status and trends of breast cancer mortality in Chinese females,” Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 150–154, 2011.
- R. G. Ziegler, W. F. Anderson, and M. H. Gail, “Increasing breast cancer incidence in China: the numbers add up,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. 1339–1341, 2008.
- E. Linos, D. Spanos, B. A. Rosner et al., “Effects of reproductive and demographic changes on breast cancer incidence in China: a modeling analysis,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. 1352–1360, 2008.
- Hong Kong Cancer Statistics 2009, Hong Kong cancer Registry, Hospital Authority, 2009, http://www3.ha.org.hk/cancereg/statistics.html.
- E. E. Calle, L. M. Martin, M. J. Thun, H. L. Miracle, and C. W. Heath, “Family history, age, and risk of fatal breast cancer,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 675–681, 1993.
- A. Kwong, P. Cheung, S. Chan, and S. Lau, “Breast cancer in Chinese women younger than age 40: Are they different from their older counterparts?” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2554–2561, 2008.
- C. G. Lee, B. McCormick, M. Mazumdar, J. Vetto, and P. I. Borgen, “Infiltrating breast carcinoma in patients age 30 years and younger: long term outcome for life, relapse, and second primary tumors,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 969–975, 1992.
- H. Host and E. Lund, “Age as a prognostic factor in breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 2217–2221, 1986.
- A. J. Nixon, D. Neuberg, D. F. Hayes et al., “Relationship of patient age to pathologic features of the tumor and prognosis for patients with stage I or II breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 888–894, 1994.
- E. Yıldırım, T. Dalgıç, and U. Berberoğlu, “Prognostic significance of young age in breast cancer,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 74, pp. 267–272, 2000.
- B. Gerber, H. Müller, T. Reimer, A. Krause, and K. Friese, “Nutrition and lifestyle factors on the risk of developing breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 265–276, 2003.
- A. McTiernan, “Behavioral risk factors in breast cancer: Can risk be modified?” Oncologist, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 326–334, 2003.
- F. Azaiza and M. Cohen, “Health beliefs and rate of breast cancer screening among Arab women,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 520–530, 2006.
- V. Mai, T. Sullivan, and A. M. Chiarelli, “Breast cancer screening program in Canada: successes and challenges,” Salud Pública de México, vol. 51, pp. 228–235, 2009.
- S. A. Feig, “Effect of service screening mammography on population mortality from breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 451–457, 2002.
- P. Zhao, M. Dai, W. Chen, and N. Li, “Cancer trends in China,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 40, no. 4, Article ID hyp187, pp. 281–285, 2010.
- T. Y. Wu and M. Y. Yu, “Reliability and validity of the mammography screening beliefs questionnaire among Chinese American women,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 131–142, 2003.
- T. Y. Wu and W. Brady, “Mammography stage of adoption and decision balance among Asian Indian and Filipino American women,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 390–398, 2007.
- A. Kwong, “The acceptance and feasibility of breast cancer screening in the East,” Breast, vol. 17, pp. 42–50, 2008.
- J. I. Kim, K. O. Oh, C. Y. Li, H. S. Min, E. S. Chang, and R. Song, “Breast cancer screening practice and health-promoting behavior among Chinese women,” Asian Nursing Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 157–163, 2011.
- L. Zhao, S. Li, and T. Wang, “Cross-sectional study on knowledge, attitude and behavior of breast cancer screening among women in Beijing,” Chinese Journal of Public Health, vol. 24, pp. 658–659, 2008.
- M. Y. Yu and T. Y. Wu, “Factors influencing mammography screening of Chinese American women,” Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 386–394, 2005.
- B. O. Anderson, C. H. Yip, R. A. Smith et al., “Guideline implementation for breast healthcare in low- and middle-income countries: early detection resource allocation,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 8, pp. 2244–2256, 2008.
- N. S. El Saghir, C. A. Adebamowo, B. O. Anderson et al., “Breast cancer management in low resource countries (LRCs): consensus statement from the Breast Health Global Initiative,” Breast, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. S3–S11, 2011.
- C. Y. Lee, H. S. Kim, and O. Ham, “Knowledge, practice, and risk of breast cancer among rural women in Korea,” Nursing and Health Sciences, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 225–230, 2000.
- E.-O. Im, Y. S. Park, E. O. Lee, and S. N. Yun, “Korean women's attitudes toward breast cancer screening tests,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 583–589, 2004.
- P. T. Straughan and A. Seow, “Attitudes as barriers in breast screening: a prospective study among Singapore women,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1695–1703, 2000.
- P. N. Chong, M. Krishnan, C. Y. Hong, and T. S. Swah, “Knowledge and practice of breast cancer screening amongst public health nurses in Singapore,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 509–516, 2002.
- A. N. Hisham and C. H. Yip, “Overview of breast cancer in Malaysian women: a problem with late diagnosis,” Asian Journal of Surgery, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 130–133, 2004.
- G. L. Kreps and R. Sivaram, “Strategic health communication across the continuum of breast cancer care in limited-resource countries,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 8, pp. 2331–2337, 2008.
- R. Hornik, Public Health Communication: Evidence For Behavior Change, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- M. D. Slater, K. J. Kelly, and R. Thackeray, “Segmentation on a shoestring: health audience segmentation in limited-budget and local social marketing interventions,” Health Promotion Practice, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 170–173, 2006.
- T. Y. Wu and D. Ronis, “Correlates of recent and regular mammography screening among Asian-American women,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 2434–2446, 2009.