- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Breast Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 932784, 6 pages
Handling of Radical Prostatectomy Specimens: Total Embedding with Large-Format Histology
1Section of Pathological Anatomy, School of Medicine, United Hospitals, Polytechnic University of the Marche Region, 60126 Ancona, Italy
2Department of Pathology, Reina Sofia University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, 14004 Cordoba, Spain
3Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Received 5 April 2012; Accepted 28 May 2012
Academic Editor: Vincenzo Eusebi
Copyright © 2012 Rodolfo Montironi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Egevad, “Handling and reporting of radical prostatectomy specimens,” Diagnostic Histopathology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 118–124, 2012.
- H. Samaratunga, R. Montironi, L. True et al., “International society of urological pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on handling and staging of radical prostatectomy specimens. working group 1: specimen handling,” Modern Pathology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 6–15, 2011.
- R. Montironi, A. Lopez-Beltran, M. Scarpelli, R. Mazzucchelli, and L. Cheng, “Handling of radical prostatectomy specimens: total embedding with whole mounts, with special reference to the Ancona experience,” Histopathology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1006–1010, 2011.
- G. S. Hall, C. E. Kramer, and J. I. Epstein, “Evaluation of radical prostatectomy specimens: a comparative analysis of sampling methods,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 315–324, 1992.
- A. E. S. Sehdev, C. C. Pan, and J. I. Epstein, “Comparative analysis of sampling methods for grossing radical prostatectomy specimens performed for nonpalpable (Stage T1c) prostatic adenocarcinoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 494–499, 2001.
- L. D. True, “Surgical pathology examination of the prostate gland: practice survey by American Society of Clinical Pathologists,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 572–579, 1994.
- L. Egevad, F. Algaba, D. M. Berney et al., “Handling and reporting of radical prostatectomy specimens in Europe: a web-based survey by the European Network of Uropathology (ENUP),” Histopathology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 333–339, 2008.
- B. Vainer, B. G. Toft, K. E. Olsen, G. K. Jacobsen, and N. Marcussen, “Handling of radical prostatectomy specimens: total or partial embedding?” Histopathology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 211–216, 2011.
- M. B. Cohen, M. S. Soloway, and W. M. Murphy, “Sampling of radical prostatectomy specimens: how much is adequate?” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 250–252, 1994.
- J. G. Kench, D. R. Clouston, W. Delprado et al., “Prognostic factors in prostate cancer. Key elements in structured histopathology reporting of radical prostatectomy specimens,” Pathology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 410–419, 2011.
- J. R. Srigley, P. A. Humphrey, M. B. Amin et al., “Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinoma of the prostate gland,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 133, no. 10, pp. 1568–1576, 2009.
- F. Barbisan, R. Mazzucchelli, A. Santinelli et al., “Expression of prostate stem cell antigen in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancer,” Histopathology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 572–579, 2010.
- R. Mazzucchelli, F. Barbisan, A. Tagliabracci et al., “Search for residual prostate cancer on pT0 radical prostatectomy after positive biopsy,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 450, no. 4, pp. 371–378, 2007.
- R. Montironi, L. Cheng, A. Lopez-Beltran et al., “Stage pT0 in radical prostatectomy with no residual carcinoma and with a previous positive biopsy conveys a wrong message to clinicians and patients: why is cancer not present in the radical prostatectomy specimen?” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 272–274, 2009.
- R. Montironi, L. Cheng, A. Lopez-Beltran et al., “Joint appraisal of the radical prostatectomy specimen by the urologist and the uropathologist: together, we can do it better,” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 951–955, 2009.
- R. Mazzucchelli, M. Scarpelli, L. Cheng et al., “Pathology of prostate cancer and focal therapy (‘male lumpectomy'),” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 5155–5161, 2009.