- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Breast Cancer
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 289563, 6 pages
Pretreatment Thrombocytosis as a Prognostic Factor in Metastatic Breast Cancer
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Lausanne, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Received 12 March 2013; Revised 1 June 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Bent Ejlertsen
Copyright © 2013 Athina Stravodimou and Ioannis A. Voutsadakis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. S. Bleeker and W. J. Hogan, “Thrombocytosis: diagnostic evaluation, thrombotic risk stratification, and risk-based management strategies,” Thrombosis, vol. 2011, Article ID 536062, 16 pages, 2011.
- L. F. Hernandez-Aya and A. M. Gonzalez-Angulo, “Adjuvant systemic therapies in breast cancer,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 473–491, 2013.
- S. Taucher, A. Salat, M. Gnant et al., “Impact of pretreatment thrombocytosis on survival in primary breast cancer,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1098–1106, 2003.
- G. Scatter, J. Lee, J. M. S. Bartlett, D. J. Slamon, and M. F. Press, “Guidelines for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing: biologic and methodologic considerations,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1323–1333, 2009.
- B. Dawson-Saunders and R. G. Trapp, Basic and Clinical Biostatistics, Appleton and Lange, Norwalk, Conn, USA, 1994.
- J. F. Lawless, Statistical Models and Methods for Lifetime Data, John Wiley and sons, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- J. Levin and C. L. Conley, “Thrombocytosis associated with malignant disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 114, pp. 497–500, 1964.
- D. J. Slamon, B. Leyland-Jones, S. Shak et al., “Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against her2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 11, pp. 783–792, 2001.
- V. Valero, J. Forbes, M. D. Pegram et al., “Multicenter phase III randomized trial comparing docetaxel and trastuzumab with docetaxel, carboplatin, and trastuzumab as first-line chemotherapy for patients with HER2-gene-amplified metastatic breast cancer (BCIRG 007 Study): two highly active therapeutic regimens,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2011.
- H. Shimada, G. Oohira, S.-I. Okazumi et al., “Thrombocytosis associated with poor prognosis in patients with esophageal carcinoma,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 198, no. 5, pp. 737–741, 2004.
- S. G. Hwang, K. M. Kim, J. H. Cheong, et al., “Impact of pretreatment thrombocytosis on blood-borne metastasis and prognosis of gastric cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 38, pp. 562–567, 2012.
- N. P. Symbas, M. F. Townsend, R. El-Galley, T. E. Keane, S. D. Graham, and J. A. Petros, “Poor prognosis associated with thrombocytosis in patients with renal cell carcinoma,” BJU International, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 203–207, 2000.
- R. L. Stone, A. M. Nick, I. A. McNeish et al., “Paraneoplastic thrombocytosis in ovarian cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 7, pp. 610–618, 2012.
- E. Hernandez, M. Lavine, C. J. Dunton, et al., “Poor prognosis associated with thrombocytosis in patients with cervical cancer,” Cancer, vol. 69, pp. 2975–2977, 1992.
- I. Domínguez, S. Crippa, S. P. Thayer et al., “Preoperative platelet count and survival prognosis in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1051–1056, 2008.
- M. Ikeda, H. Furukawa, H. Imamura et al., “Poor prognosis associated with thrombocytosis in patients with gastric cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 287–291, 2002.
- T. Gungor, M. Kanat-Pektas, A. Sucak, and L. Mollamahmutoglu, “The role of thrombocytosis in prognostic evaluation of epithelial ovarian tumors,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 279, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2009.
- B. Paule, J. Belot, C. Rudant, C. Coulombel, and C. C. Abbou, “The importance of IL-6 protein expression in primary human renal cell carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 388–390, 2000.
- J. Nakashima, M. Tachibana, Y. Horiguchi et al., “Serum interleukin 6 as a prognostic factor in patients with prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2702–2706, 2000.
- I. Benoy, R. Salgado, C. Colpaert, R. Weytjens, P. B. Vermeulen, and L. Y. Dirix, “Serum interleukin 6, plasma VEGF, serum VEGF, and VEGF platelet load in breast cancer patients,” Clinical Breast Cancer, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 311–315, 2002.
- D. Buergy, F. Wenz, C. Groden, and M. A. Brockmann, “Tumor-platelet interaction in solid tumors,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, no. 12, pp. 2747–2760, 2012.
- B. Ho-Tin-Noé, M. Demers, and D. D. Wagner, “How platelets safeguard vascular integrity,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 9, supplement 1, pp. 56–65, 2011.
- B. Ho-Tin-Noé, C. Carbo, M. Demers, S. M. Cifuni, T. Goerge, and D. D. Wagner, “Innate immune cells induce hemorrhage in tumors during thrombocytopenia,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 175, no. 4, pp. 1699–1708, 2009.
- L. J. Gay and B. Felding-Habermann, “Contribution of platelets to tumour metastasis,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 123–134, 2011.
- E. Gunsilius, A. Petzer, G. Stockhammer et al., “Thrombocytes ave the major source for soluble vascular endothelial growth factor in peripheral blood,” Oncology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 2000.
- M. Labelle, S. Begum, and R. Hynes, “Direct signaling between platelets and cancer cells induces an epithelial-mesenchymal-like transition and promotes metastasis,” Cancer Cell, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 576–590, 2011.
- R. Kalluri and R. A. Weinberg, “The basics of epithelial-mesenchymal transition,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1420–1428, 2009.
- T. M. H. Niers, D. J. Richel, J. C. M. Meijers, and R. O. Schlingemann, “Vascular endothelial growth factor in the circulation in cancer patients may not be a relevant biomarker,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19873, 2011.
- D. Y. Heng, M. J. MacKenzie, U. N. Vaishampayan, et al., “Primary anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-refractory metastatic renal cell carcinoma: clinical characteristics, risk factors, and subsequent therapy,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, pp. 1549–1555, 2012.