- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 406854, 9 pages
Elastography Method for Reconstruction of Nonlinear Breast Tissue Properties
1Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
2Department of Biomedical Engineering, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
3School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
4Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Received 15 January 2009; Accepted 18 May 2009
Academic Editor: Guowei Wei
Copyright © 2009 Z. G. Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Nass, I. C. Henderson, and J. C. Lashof, Mammography and Beyond: Developing Technologies for the Early Detection of Breast Cancer, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- B. Boné, Z. Péntek, L. Perbeck, and B. Veress, “Diagnostic accuracy of mammography and contrast-enhanced MR imaging in 238 histologically verified breast lesions,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 489–496, 1997.
- M. L. Giger, Z. Huo, and C. J. Vyborny, “Computer-aided diagnosis in mammography,” in Handbook of Medical Imaging, M. Sonka, et al., Ed., vol. 2, pp. 915–1004, SPIE Press, Bellingham, Wash, USA, 2000.
- P. J. Kornguth and R. C. Bentley, “Mammography-pathologic correlation—part I. Benign breast lesions,” Journal of Women's Imaging, vol. 3, pp. 29–37, 2001.
- P. Wellman, Tactile imaging, Ph.D. dissertation, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1999.
- J. Ophir, I. Cespedes, H. Ponnekanti, Y. Yazdi, and X. Li, “Elastography: a quantitative method for imaging the elasticity of biological tissues,” Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 111–134, 1991.
- J. Ophir, S. K. Alam, B. Garra, et al., “Elastography: ultrasonic estimation and imaging of the elastic properties of tissues,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, vol. 213, no. 3, pp. 203–233, 1999.
- R. Muthupillai, D. J. Lomas, P. J. Rossman, J. F. Greenleaf, A. Manduca, and R. L. Ehman, “Magnetic resonance elastography by direct visualization of propagating acoustic strain waves,” Science, vol. 269, no. 5232, pp. 1854–1857, 1995.
- O. Rouviere, M. Yin, M. A. Dresner, et al., “MR elastography of the liver: preliminary results,” Radiology, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 440–448, 2006.
- Y. Liu, L. Z. Sun, and G. Wang, “Tomography-based 3-D anisotropic elastography using boundary measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1323–1333, 2005.
- W. A. M. Khaled, Displacement estimation analyses for reconstructive ultrasound elastography using finite-amplitude deformations, Ph.D. dissertation, Ruhr-University Bochum, Bochum, Germany, 2007.
- T. Belytschko, W. K. Liu, and B. Moran, Nonlinear Finite Elements for Continua and Structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- A. Samani, J. Bishop, and D. B. Plewes, “A constrained modulus reconstruction technique for breast cancer assessment,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 877–885, 2001.
- G. J. Han, K. B. Chandran, N. L. Gotteiner, et al., “Application of finite-element analysis with optimisation to assess the in vivo non-linear myocardial material properties using echocardiographic imaging,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 459–467, 1993.
- N. Tardieu and A. Constantinescu, “On the determination of elastic coefficients from indentation experiments,” Inverse Problems, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 577–588, 2000.
- A. A. Oberai, N. H. Gokhale, and G. R. Feijoo, “Solution of inverse problems in elasticity imaging using the adjoint method,” Inverse Problems, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 297–313, 2003.
- Y. Liu, G. Wang, and L. Z. Sun, “Anisotropic elastography for local passive properties and active contractility of myocardium from dynamic heart imaging sequence,” International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2006, Article ID 45957, 15 pages, 2006.
- A. A. Oberai, N. H. Gokhale, M. M. Doyley, and J. C. Bamber, “Evaluation of the adjoint equation based algorithm for elasticity imaging,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 13, pp. 2955–2974, 2004.
- Y. C. Fung, Biomechanics-Mechanical Properties of Living Tissues, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- M. A. Zulliger, P. Fridez, K. Hayashi, and N. Stergiopulos, “A strain energy function for arteries accounting for wall composition and structure,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 989–1000, 2004.
- H. W. Haslach Jr., “Nonlinear viscoelastic, thermodynamically consistent, models for biological soft tissue,” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 172–189, 2005.
- A. Samani and D. Plewes, “A method to measure the hyperelastic parameters of ex vivo breast tissue samples,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 18, pp. 4395–4405, 2004.
- P. Pathmanathan, D. Gavaghan, J. Whiteley, et al., “Predicting tumour location by simulating large deformations of the breast using a 3D finite element model and nonlinear elasticity,” in Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, C. Barillot, D. R. Haynor, and P. Hellier, Eds., vol. 3217 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 217–224, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- M. Kauer, Inverse finite element characterization of soft tissue with aspiration experiments, Ph.D. dissertation, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland, 2004.
- P. E. Barbone and J. C. Bamber, “Quantitative elasticity imaging: what can and cannot be inferred from strain images,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2147–2164, 2002.
- P. E. Barbone and N. H. Gokhale, “Elastic modulus imaging: on the uniqueness and nonuniqueness of the elastography inverse problem in two dimensions,” Inverse Problems, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 283–296, 2004.
- A. H. Hielscher and S. Bartel, “Use of penalty terms in gradient-based iterative reconstruction schemes for optical tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 2001.
- W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2007.