- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 636240, 11 pages
Segmentation of Pulmonary Vascular Trees from Thoracic 3D CT Images
Iowa Institute for Biomedical Imaging, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 3 July 2009; Accepted 23 September 2009
Academic Editor: M. Jiang
Copyright © 2009 Hidenori Shikata et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. A. Hoffman, J. M. Reinhardt, M. Sonka, et al., “Characterization of the interstitial lung diseases via density-based and texture-based analysis of computed tomography images of lung structure and function,” Academic Radiology, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1104–1118, 2003.
- R. D. Hubmayr, B. J. Walters, P. A. Chevalier, J. R. Rodarte, and L. E. Olson, “Topographical distribution of regional lung volume in anesthetized dogs,” Journal of Applied Physiology Respiratory Environmental and Exercise Physiology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1048–1056, 1983.
- Y. Sato, S. Nakajima, N. Shiraga, et al., “Three-dimensional multi-scale line filter for segmentation and visualization of curvilinear structures in medical images,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 143–168, 1998.
- K. Krissian, G. Malandain, N. Ayache, R. Vaillant, and Y. Trousset, “Model-based detection of tubular structures in 3D images,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 130–171, 2000.
- H. Shikata, E. A. Huffman, and M. Sonka, “Automated segmentation of pulmonary vascular tree from 3D CT images,” in Medical Imaging 2004: Physiology, Function, and Structure from Medical Images, vol. 5369 of Proceedings of the SPIE, pp. 107–116, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2004.
- L. M. Lorigo, O. D. Faugeras, W. E. L. Grimson, et al., “CURVES: curve evolution for vessel segmentation,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 195–206, 2001.
- A. Vasilevskiy and K. Siddiqi, “Flux maximizing geometric flows,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1565–1578, 2002.
- S. R. Aylward and E. Bullitt, “Initialization, noise, singularities, and scale in hight ridge traversal for tublar object centerline extraction,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 61–75, 2002.
- C. Boldak, Y. Rolland, and C. Toumoulin, “An improved model-based vessel tracking algorithm with application to computed tomography angiography,” Journal of Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 41–63, 2003.
- D. Mayer, D. Bartz, J. Fischer, et al., “Hybrid segmentation and virtual bronchoscopy based on CT images,” Academic Radiology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 551–565, 2004.
- Y. Fridman, S. M. Pizer, S. R. Aylward, and E. Bullitt, “Segmenting 3D branching tubular structures using cores,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '03), vol. 2879 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 570–577, Springer, Montréal, Canada, November 2003.
- S. M. Pizer, D. Eberly, and D. S. Fritsch, “Zoom-invariant vision of figural shape: the mathematics of cores,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 55–71, 1998.
- B. S. Morse, S. M. Pizer, D. T. Puff, and C. Gu, “Zoom-invariant vision of figural shape: effects on cores of image disturbances,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 72–86, 1998.
- G. Agam, A. Russell, S. Armato III, and C. Wu, “Vessel tree reconstruction in thoracic CT scans with application to nodule detection,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, pp. 486–499, 2005.
- C. Fetita, P. Y. Brillet, and F. J. Preteux, “Morpho-geometrical approach for 3D segmentation of pulmonary vascular tree in multi-slice CT,” in Medical Imaging 2009: Image Processing, vol. 7259 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1–12, Lake Buena Vista, Fla, USA, February 2009.
- S. Ukil and J. M. Reinhardt, “Anatomy-guided lung lobe segmentation in X-ray CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 202–214, 2009.
- S. Hu, E. A. Hoffman, and J. M. Reinhardt, “Automatic lung segmentation for accurate quantitation of volumetric X-ray CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 490–498, 2001.
- Y. Sato and S. Tamura, “Detection and quantification of line and sheet structures in 3-D images,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '00), vol. 1935 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 154–165, Springer, Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, October 2000.
- Y. Zhou and A. W. Toga, “Efficient skeletonization of volumetric objects,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 196–209, 1999.
- H. Kitaoka, B. Suki, and R. Takaki, “A three-dimensional model of the human airway tree,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 2207–2217, 1999.
- J. Tschirren, K. Palagyi, J. M. Reinhardt, E. A. Hoffman, and M. Sonka, “Segmentation, skeletonization, and branchpoint matching—a fully automated quantitative evaluation of human intrathoracic airway trees,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '02), vol. 2489 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 12–19, Tokyo, Japan, September 2002.
- T. Kitasaka, K. Mori, Y. Suenaga, J.-I. Hasegawa, and J.-I. Toriwaki, “A method for segmenting bronchial trees from 3D chest X-ray CT images,” in Proceedings of the Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention conference (MICCAI '03), vol. 2879 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 603–610, Montréal, Canada, November 2003.
- Y. Masutani, H. MacMahon, and K. Doi, “Computerized detection of pulmonary embolism in spiral CT angiography based on volumetric image analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1517–1523, 2002.
- H. Shikata, H. Kitaoka, B. Keserci, Y. Sato, and S. Tamura, “Quantitative evaluation of the spatial distribution of vessels surrounding pulmonary nodules,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Congress on Computer-Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS '00), pp. 761–766, San Francisco, Calif, USA, January 2000.
- M. Kubo, Y. Kawata, N. Niki, et al., “Automatic extraction of pulmonary fissures from multidetector-row CT images,” in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 3, pp. 1091–1094, October 2001.
- L. Zhang, E. A. Hoffman, and J. M. Reinhardt, “Atlas-driven lung lobe segmentation in volumetric X-ray CT images,” in Medical Imaging 2003: Physiology and Function: Methods, Systems, and Applications, vol. 5031 of Proceedings of SPIE, San Diego, Calif, USA, Febuary 2003.