- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 621905, 14 pages
A Framework of Vertebra Segmentation Using the Active Shape Model-Based Approach
Faculty of Engineering, University of Mons, Biosys Pole, Place du Parc, 20-7000 Mons, Belgium
Received 18 December 2010; Revised 6 April 2011; Accepted 6 May 2011
Academic Editor: Hacene Serrai
Copyright © 2011 Mohammed Benjelloun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. McInerney and D. Terzopoulos, “Deformable models in medical image analysis: a survey,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 91–108, 1996.
- M. A. Kass, A. Witkin, and D. Terzopoulos, “Snakes: active contour models,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 321–331, 1988.
- C. Xu and J. L. Prince, “Snakes, shapes, and gradient vector flow,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 359–369, 1998.
- T. McInerney and D. Terzopoulos, “T-snakes: topology adaptive snakes,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 73–91, 2000.
- S. Lobregt and M. A. Viergever, “Discrete dynamic contour model,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 12–24, 1995.
- H. T. Nguyen, M. Worring, and R. van den Boomgaard, “Watersnakes: energy-driven watershed segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 330–342, 2003.
- J. A. Sethian, Level Set Methods and Fast Marching Methods, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 1999.
- S. Luo, “Automated medical image segmentation using a new deformable surface model,” International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, vol. 6, no. 5A, pp. 109–115, 2006.
- D. L. Pham, C. Xu, and J. L. Prince, “Current methods in medical image segmentation,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 315–337, 2000.
- S. Mahmoudi and M. Benjelloun, “A new approach for cervical vertebrae segmentation,” in Progress in Pattern Recognition, Image Analysis and Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 753–762, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2008.
- A. Tezmol, H. Sari-Sarraf, S. Mitra, R. Long, and A. Gururajan, “Customized Hough transform for robust segmentation of cervical vertebrae from X-ray images,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE Southwest Symposium on Image Analysis and Interpretation, (SSIAI '02), pp. 224–228, Sante Fe, NM, USA, April 2002.
- B. Howe, A. Gururajan, H. Sari-Sarraf, and L. R. Long, “Hierarchical segmentation of cervical and lumbar vertebrae using a customized generalized hough transform and extensions to active appearance models,” in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE Southwest Symposium on Image Analysis and Interpretation, (SSIAI '04), pp. 182–186, Lake Tahoe, Nev, USA, March 2004.
- T. F. Cootes, C. J. Taylor, D. H. Cooper, and J. Graham, “Active shape models-their training and application,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 38–59, 1995.
- T. F. Cootes and C. J. Taylor, “Statistical models of appearance for computer vision,” Tech. Rep., Manchester, UK, University of Manchester, 2004.
- S. Rueda, J. K. Udupa, and L. P. Bai, “Landmark selection for shape model construction via equalization of variance,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, (ISBI '08), pp. 1271–1274, Paris, France, May 2008.
- T. F. Cootes, G. J. Edwards, and C. J. Taylor, “Active appearance models,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 681–685, 2001.
- B. T. J. van Ginneken, A. F. Frangi, J. Staal, B. M. ter Haar Romeny, and M. A. Viergever, “Active shape model segmentation with optimal features,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 924–933, 2002.
- M. Benjelloun, G. Rico, S. Mahmoudi, and R. Prévot, “Vertebral mobility analysis using anterior faces detection,” in Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 897–908, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- M. Benjelloun and S. Mahmoudi, “X-ray image segmentation for vertebral mobility analysis,” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 371–383, 2008.
- M. Benjelloun and S. Mahmoudi, “Spine localization in X-ray images using interest point detection,” Journal of Digital Imaging, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 309–318, 2009.
- M. Benjelloun and S. Mahmoudi, “Semi-automatic vertebra segmentation,” in Handbook of Research on Developments in E-Health and Telemedicine: Technological and Social Perspectives, pp. 110–124, 2010.
- M. Benjelloun, H. Tellez, and S. Mahmoudi, “Vertebra edge detection using polar signature,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, (ICPR '06), pp. 476–479, Hong Kong, China, August 2006.
- J. Canny, “A computational approach to edge detection,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 679–698, 1986.
- C. Harris and M. Stephens, “A combined corner and edge detector,” in Proceedings of the 4th Alvey Vision Conference, (AVC '88), vol. 15, pp. 147–151, Manchester, UK, September 1988.
- Nhanes ii project database. National Library of Medicine. http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/proj/dxpnet/nhanes/nhanes.php.
- M. G. Roberts, T. F. Cootes, and J. E. Adams, “Linking sequences of active appearance sub-models via constraints : an application in automated vertebral morphometry,” in Proceedings of the 14th British Machine Vision Conference, (BMVC '03), pp. 349–358, Norwich, UK, September, 2003.
- M. G. Roberts, T. F. Cootes, and J. E. Adams, “Automatic segmentation of lumbar vertebrae on digitised radiographs using linked active appearance models,” in Proceedings of the Medical Image Understanding and Analysis Conference, (MIUA '06), pp. 120–124, Manchester, UK, July 2006.
- M. de Bruijne and M. Nielsen, “Image segmentation by shape particle filtering,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, (ICPR '04), pp. 722–725, Cambridge, UK, August 2004.
- T. Klinder, J. Ostermann, A. Franz, M. Ehm, R. Kneser, and C. Lorenz, “Automated model-based vertebra detection, identification, and segmentation in CT images,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 471–482, 2009.