- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 698413, 12 pages
Detection and Quantification of Fluorescent Cell Clusters in Cryo-Imaging
1Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
2Department of Cardiology, The Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
3Department of Radiology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Received 18 September 2011; Accepted 16 December 2011
Academic Editor: Yibin Zheng
Copyright © 2012 Grant J. Steyer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Pittenger and B. J. Martin, “Mesenchymal stem cells and their potential as cardiac therapeutics,” Circulation Research, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 2004.
- J. V. Frangioni and R. J. Hajjar, “In vivo tracking of stem cells for clinical trials in cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 21, pp. 3378–3383, 2004.
- J. Condeelis and J. E. Segall, “Intravital imaging of cell movement in tumours,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 921–930, 2003.
- D. Roy, G. Steyer, M. Gargesha, M. Stone, and D. L. Wilson, “3D cryo-imaging: a very high-resolution view of the whole mouse,” Anatomical Record, vol. 292, no. 3, pp. 342–351, 2009.
- A. MacKenzie-Graham, E. F. Lee, I. D. Dinov et al., “A multimodal, multidimensional atlas of the C57BL/6J mouse brain,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 93–102, 2004.
- J. Nissanov, L. Bertrand, and O. Tretiak, “Cryosectioning distortion reduction using tape support,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 239–240, 2001.
- J. A. E. Spaan, R. Ter Wee, J. W. van Teeffelen, et al., “Visualisation of intramural coronary vasculature by an imaging cryomicrotome suggests compartmentalisation of myocardial perfusion areas,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 431–435, 2005.
- W. J. Weninger and T. Mohun, “Phenotyping transgenic embryos: a rapid 3-D screening method based on episcopic fluorescence image capturing,” Nature Genetics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2002.
- A. Garrido and N. P. de la Blanca, “Applying deformable templates for cell image segmentation,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 821–832, 2000.
- P. J. Sjöström, B. R. Frydel, and L. U. Wahlberg, “Artificial neural network-aided image analysis system for cell counting,” Cytometry, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 18–26, 1999.
- S. Wörz, S. Heinzer, M. Weiss, and K. Rohr, “Model-based segmentation and quantification of subcellular structures in 2D and 3D fluorescent microscopy images,” in Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 6916, pp. 69161F–69161F-7, February 2008.
- R. Bernard, M. Kanduser, and F. Pernus, “Model-based automated detection of mammalian cell colonies,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 3061–3072, 2001.
- H. J. Noordmans and A. W. M. Smeulders, “Detection and characterization of isolated and overlapping spots,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 23–35, 1998.
- M. Gargesha, M. Qutaish, D. Roy, G. Steyer, H. Bartsch, and D. L. Wilson, “Enhanced volume rendering techniques for high-resolution color cryo-imaging data,” in Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 7262, p. 72655V, February 2009.
- G. J. Steyer, D. Roy, O. Salvado, M. E. Stone, and D. L. Wilson, “Removal of out-of-plane fluorescence for single cell visualization and quantification in cryo-imaging,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1613–1628, 2009.
- L. Vincent, “Morphological grayscale reconstruction in image analysis: applications and efficient algorithms,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 176–201, 1993.
- A. Asano, Y. Kobayashi, C. Muraki, and M. Muneyasu, “Optimization of gray scale morphological opening for noise removal in texture images. Circuits and Systems,” in Proceedings of the 47th IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. I313–I316, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Hiroshima, Japan, 2004.
- J. Canny, “Computational approach to edge detection,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 679–698, 1986.
- S. D. Olabarriaga and A. W. Smeulders, “Interaction in the segmentation of medical images: a survey,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 127–142, 2001.
- J. A. Nelder and R. Mead, “A simplex method for function minimization,” Computer Journal, vol. 7, pp. 308–313, 1965.
- D. W. Marquardt, “An algorithm for the least-squares estimation of nonlinear parameters,” SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 431–441, 1963.
- A. T. Askari, M. L. Brennan, X. R. Zhou et al., “Myeloperoxidase and plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 play a central role in ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 197, no. 5, pp. 615–624, 2003.
- A. Peister, J. A. Mellad, B. L. Larson, B. M. Hall, L. F. Gibson, and D. J. Prockop, “Adult stem cells from bone marrow (MSCs) isolated from different strains of inbred mice vary in surface epitopes, rates of proliferation, and differentiation potential,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1662–1668, 2004.
- A. T. Askari, S. Unzek, Z. B. Popovic et al., “Effect of stromal-cell-derived factor 1 on stem-cell homing and tissue regeneration in ischaemic cardiomyopathy,” Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9385, pp. 697–703, 2003.