- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 956248, 14 pages
Tracking Regional Tissue Volume and Function Change in Lung Using Image Registration
1GE Global Research, Niskayuna, NY 12309, USA
2Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
3Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
4Department of Radiation Oncology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
5Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Iowa, 1402A SC, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
6Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 18 June 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ayman El-Baz
Copyright © 2012 Kunlin Cao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. W. Henderson, “Bronchoalveolar lavage,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 167–169, 1994.
- C. A. Kelly, C. J. Kotre, C. Ward, et al., “anatomical distribution of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid as assessed by digital subtraction radiography,” Thorax, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 624–628, 1987.
- J. W. Gurney, W. C. Harrison, K. Sears, et al., “Bronchoalveolar lavage: radiographic manifestations,” Radiology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 71–74, 1987.
- C. C. Chen, M. P. Andrich, and J. Shelhamer, “Abnormalities on ventilation/perfusion lung scans induced by bronchoalveolar lavage,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1854–1858, 1993.
- L. M. Gabe, K. M. Baker, E. J. R. van Beek, G. W. Hunninghake, J. M. Reinhardt, and E. A. Hoffman, “Effect of segmental bronchoalveolar lavage on quantitative computed tomography of the lung,” Academic Radiology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 876–884, 2011.
- U. Klein, W. Karzai, P. Zimmermann et al., “Changes in pulmonary mechanics after fiberoptic bronchoalveolar lavage in mechanically ventilated patients,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1289–1293, 1998.
- J. M. Reinhardt, K. Ding, K. Cao, G. E. Christensen, E. A. Hoffman, and S. V. Bodas, “Registration-based estimates of local lung tissue expansion compared to xenon CT measures of specific ventilation,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 752–763, 2008.
- E. A. Hoffman and E. L. Ritman, “Effect of body orientation on regional lung expansion in dog and sloth,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 481–491, 1985.
- Y. Yin, E. A. Hoffman, and C. L. Lin, “Mass preserving nonrigid registration of CT lung images using cubic B-spline,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 4213–4222, 2009.
- G. E. Christensen, J. H. Song, W. Lu, I. E. Naqa, and D. A. Low, “Tracking lung tissue motion and expansion/compression with inverse consistent image registration and spirometry,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 2155–2163, 2007.
- K. Cao, K. Ding, G. E. Christensen, and J. M. Reinhardt, “Tissue volume and vesselness measure preserving nonrigid registration of lung CT images,” in Medical Imaging 2010: Image Processing, vol. 7623 of Proceedings of SPIE, p. 762309, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2010.
- K. Cao, K. Ding, G. E. Christensen, M. L. Raghavan, R. E. Amelon, and J. M. Reinhardt, “Unifying vascular information in intensity-based nonrigid lung CT registration,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Biomedical Image Registration (WBIR '10), vol. 6204 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 1–12, Springer, 2010.
- K. Cao, G. E. Christensen, K. Ding, and J. M. Reinhardt, “Intensity-and-landmarkdriven, inverse consistent, B-Spline registration and analysis for lung imagery,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Pulmonary Image Analysis, pp. 137–148, London, UK, September 2009.
- Y. Yin, J. Choi, E. A. Hoffman, M. H. Tawhai, and C. L. Lin, “Simulation of pulmonary air flow with a subject-specific boundary condition,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 2159–2163, 2010.
- A. F. Frangi, W. J. Niessen, K. L. Vincken, and M. A. Viergever, “Multiscale vessel enhancement filtering,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '98), vol. 1496 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 130–137, Cambridge, Mass, USA, October 1998.
- R. H. Byrd, P. Lu, J. Nocedal, and C. Zhu, “A limited memory algorithm for bound constrained optimization,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1190–1208, 1995.
- Y. Choi and S. Lee, “Injectivity conditions of 2D and 3D uniform cubic B-spline functions,” Graphical Models, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 411–427, 2000.
- H. Shikata, E. A. Hoffman, and M. Sonka, “Automated segmentation of pulmonary vascular tree from 3D CT images,” in Medical Imaging 2004: Physiology, Function, and Structure from Medical Images, A. A. Amini and A. Manduca, Eds., vol. 5369 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 107–116, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2004.
- K. Murphy, B. van Ginneken, J. P. W. Pluim, S. Klein, and M. Staring, “Semi-automatic reference standard construction for quantitative evaluatoin of lung CT registration,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, Part II (MICCAI '08), vol. 5242 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 1006–1013, New York, NY, USA, September 2008.
- R. C. Buck, Advanced Calculus, McGraw–Hill, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 3rd edition, 1978.
- G. E. Christensen, R. D. Rabbitt, M. I. Miller et al., “Topological properties of smooth anatomic maps,” in Information Processing in Medical Imaging, Y. Bizais, C. Braillot, and R. D. Paola, Eds., vol. 3 of Computational Imaging and Vision, pp. 101–112, 1995.
- G. E. Christensen and H. J. Johnson, “Consistent image registration,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 568–582, 2001.
- S. Ukil and J. M. Reinhardt, “Anatomy-guided lung lobe segmentation in X-ray CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 202–214, 2009.