- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 517632, 11 pages
Automatic Detection of 2D and 3D Lung Nodules in Chest Spiral CT Scans
1Bioimaging Laboratory, Department of Bioengineering, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
2Urology and Nephrology Department, University of Mansoura, Mansoura 35516, Egypt
3Department of Computer Science, The University of Auckland 1142, Auckland, New Zealand
4Medical Imaging Division, Jewish Hospital, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
5Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Received 9 September 2012; Revised 13 December 2012; Accepted 14 December 2012
Academic Editor: Kazunori Okada
Copyright © 2013 Ayman El-Baz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts and Figures, American Cancer Society, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- J. P. Ko and M. Betke, “Chest CT: automated nodule detection and assessment of change over time—preliminary experience,” Radiology, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 267–273, 2001.
- B. Zhao, M. S. Ginsberg, R. A. Lefkowitz, L. Jiang, C. Cooper, and L. H. Schwartz, “Chest CT: automated nodule detection and assessment of change over timepreliminary experience,” in Medical Imaging 2004: Image Processing, vol. 5370 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 818–823, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2004.
- A. A. Enquobahrie, A. P. Reeves, D. F. Yankelevitz, and C. I. Henschke, “Automated detection of pulmonary nodules from whole lung helical CT scans: performance comparison for isolated and attached nodules,” in Medical Imaging 2004: Image Processing, vol. 5370 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 791–800, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2004.
- Y. Mekada, T. Kusanagi, Y. Hayase et al., “Detection of small nodules from 3D chest X-ray CT images based on shape features,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Congress and Exhibition on Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS '03), vol. 1256, pp. 971–976, London, UK, June 2003.
- D. S. Paik, C. F. Beaulieu, G. D. Rubin et al., “Surface normal overlap: a computer-aided detection algorithm with application to colonic polyps and lung nodules in helical CT,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 661–675, 2004.
- P. R. S. Mendonca, R. Bhotika, S. A. Sirohey, W. D. Turner, J. V. Miller, and R. S. Avila, “Model-based analysis of local shape for lesion detection in CT scans,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Medical Imaging Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '05), vol. 8, pp. 688–695, Palm Springs, Calif, USA, October 2005.
- Y. Lee, T. Hara, H. Fujita, S. Itoh, and T. Ishigaki, “Automated detection of pulmonary nodules in helical CT images based on an improved template-matching technique,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 595–604, 2001.
- P. Wang, A. DeNunzio, P. Okunieff, and W. G. O'Dell, “Lung metastases detection in CT images using 3D template matching,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 915–922, 2007.
- S. Ozekes, O. Osman, and O. N. Ucan, “Nodule detection in a lung region that's segmented with using genetic cellular neural networks and 3D template matching with fuzzy rule based thresholding,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- M. A. Gavrielides, R. Zeng, L. M. Kinnard, K. J. Myers, and N. Petrick, “A template-based approach for the analysis of lung nodules in a volumetric CT phantom study,” in Medical Imaging 2009: Computer-Aided Diagnosis, vol. 7260 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1–11, Lake Buena Vista, Fla, USA, February 2009.
- W. J. Kostis, A. P. Reeves, D. F. Yankelevitz, and C. I. Henschke, “Three-dimensional segmentation and growth-rate estimation of small pulmonary nodules in helical CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1259–1274, 2003.
- K. Awai, K. Murao, A. Ozawa et al., “Pulmonary nodules at chest CT: effect of computer-aided diagnosis on radiologists detection performance,” Radiology, vol. 230, no. 2, pp. 347–352, 2004.
- T. Messay, R. C. Hardie, and S. K. Rogers, “A new computationally efficient CAD system for pulmonary nodule detection in CT imagery,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 390–406, 2010.
- M. N. Gurcan, B. Sahiner, N. Petrick et al., “Lung nodule detection on thoracic computed tomography images: preliminary evaluation of a computer-aided diagnosis system,” Medical Physics, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 2552–2558, 2002.
- Y. Kawata, N. Niki, H. Ohmatsu et al., “Computer-aided diagnosis of pulmonary nodules using three-dimensional thoracic CT images,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Imaging Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '01), vol. 2208, pp. 1393–1394, Utrecht, The Netherlands, October 2001.
- N. Yamada, M. Kubo, Y. Kawata et al., “ROI extraction of chest CT images using adaptive opening filter,” in Medical Imaging 2003: Image Processing, Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 869–876, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2003.
- M. S. Brown, M. F. McNitt-Gray, J. G. Goldin, R. D. Suh, J. W. Sayre, and D. R. Aberle, “Patient-specific models for lung nodule detection and surveillance in CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1242–1250, 2001.
- R. O. Duda, P. E. Hart, and D. G. Stork, Pattern Classification, Wiley Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- J. Dehmeshki, X. Ye, X. Lin, M. Valdivieso, and H. Amin, “Automated detection of lung nodules in CT images using shape-based genetic algorithm,” Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 408–417, 2007.
- J. Pu, B. Zheng, J. K. Leader, X. H. Wang, and D. Gur, “An automated CT based lung nodule detection scheme using geometric analysis of signed distance field,” Medical Physics, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 3453–3461, 2008.
- X. Ye, X. Lin, J. Dehmeshki, G. Slabaugh, and G. Beddoe, “Shape-based computer-aided detection of lung nodules in thoracic CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1810–1820, 2009.
- K. Murphy, B. van Ginneken, A. M. R. Schilham, B. J. de Hoop, H. A. Gietema, and M. Prokop, “A large-scale evaluation of automatic pulmonary nodule detection in chest CT using local image features and k-nearest-neighbour classification,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 757–770, 2009.
- M. Tan, R. Deklerck, B. Jansen, M. Bister, and J. Cornelis, “A novel computer-aided lung nodule detection system for CT images,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 5630–5645, 2011.
- A. Riccardi, T. S. Petkov, G. Ferri, M. Masotti, and R. Campanini, “Computer-aided detection of lung nodules via 3D fast radial transform, scale space representation, and Zernike MIP classification,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1962–1971, 2011.
- D. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1989.
- A. Farag, A. El-Baz, G. Gimel'farb, and R. Falk, “Detection and recognition of lung nodules in spiral CT images using deformable templates and bayesian post-classification,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '04), pp. 2921–2924, Singapore, October 2004.
- A. Farag, A. El-Baz, G. G. Gimel'Farb, R. Falk, and S. G. Hushek, “Automatic detection and recognition of lung abnormalities in helical CT images using deformable templates,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '04), vol. 2, pp. 856–864, Saint-Malo, France, September 2004.
- A. Farag, A. El-Baz, and G. Gimel'farb, “Detection and recognition of lung abnormalities using deformable templates,” in Proceedings of the IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR '04), vol. 3, pp. 738–741, Cambridge, UK, August 2004.
- A. El-Baz, A. Farag, R. Falk, and R. la Rocca, “A unified approach for detection, visualization, and identification of lung abnormalities in chest spiral CT scans,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Congress and Exhibition on Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS '03), pp. 998–1004, London, UK, June 2003.
- J. W. Gurney, “Determining the likelihood of malignancy in solitary pulmonary nodules with Bayesian analysis,” Radiology, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 405–413, 1993.
- C. V. Zwirewich, S. Vedal, R. R. Miller, and N. L. Muller, “Solitary pulmonary nodule: high-resolution CT and radiologic-pathologic correlation,” Radiology, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 469–476, 1991.
- A. Farag, A. El-Baz, and G. Gimel'farb, “Precise segmentation of multi-modal images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 952–968, 2006.
- A. El-Baz and G. Gimel'farb, “EM based approximation of empirical distributions with linear combinations of discrete Gaussians,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '07), vol. 4, pp. 373–376, San Antonio, Tex, USA, September 2007.
- Z. Michalewicz, Genetic Algorithm + Data Structures = Evolution Program, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1994.