- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomedical Imaging
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 609704, 14 pages
Evaluation of Algebraic Iterative Image Reconstruction Methods for Tetrahedron Beam Computed Tomography Systems
1TetraImaging, 4591 Bentley Drive, Troy, MI 48098, USA
2Department of Physics, Oakland University, 2200 N. Squirrel Road, Rochester, MI 48309, USA
321st Century Oncology Inc., 4274 W. Main Street, Dothan, AL 36305, USA
4Department of Radiation Oncology, William Beaumont Hospital, 3601 W. Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Received 15 February 2013; Revised 2 April 2013; Accepted 2 May 2013
Academic Editor: Habib Zaidi
Copyright © 2013 Joshua Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. W. K. Kan, L. H. T. Leung, W. Wong, and N. Lam, “Radiation dose from cone beam computed tomography for image-guided radiation therapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 272–279, 2008.
- J. A. Purdy, “Dose to normal tissues outside the radiation therapy patient's treated volume: a review of different radiation therapy techniques,” Health Physics, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 666–676, 2008.
- R. R. Allison, H. A. Gay, H. C. Mota, and C. H. Sibata, “Image-guided radiation therapy: current and future directions,” Future Oncology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 477–492, 2006.
- D. A. Jaffray, J. H. Siewerdsen, J. W. Wong, and A. A. Martinez, “Flat-panel cone-beam computed tomography for image-guided radiation therapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1337–1349, 2002.
- H. Kanamori, N. Nakamori, K. Inoue, and E. Takenaka, “Effects of scattered X-rays on CT images,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 239–249, 1985.
- J. H. Siewerdsen and D. A. Jaffray, “Cone-beam computed tomography with a flat-panel imager: magnitude and effects of X-ray scatter,” Medical Physics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 220–231, 2001.
- R. Ning, X. Tang, and D. Conover, “X-ray scatter correction algorithm for cone beam CT imaging,” Medical Physics, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1195–1202, 2004.
- L. Zhu, Y. Xie, J. Wang, and L. Xing, “Scatter correction for cone-beam CT in radiation therapy,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 2258–2268, 2009.
- T. G. Flohr, S. Schaller, K. Stierstorfer, H. Bruder, B. M. Ohnesorge, and U. J. Schoepf, “Multi-detector row CT systems and image-reconstruction techniques,” Radiology, vol. 235, no. 3, pp. 756–773, 2005.
- T. Zhang, Y. Chi, E. Meldolesi, and D. Yan, “Automatic delineation of on-line head-and-neck computed tomography images: toward on-line adaptive radiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 522–530, 2007.
- C. Maaß, F. Dennerlein, F. Noo, and M. Kachelrieß, “Comparing short scan CT reconstruction algorithms regarding cone-beam artifact performance,” in Proceedings of the Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record (NSS/MIC '10), pp. 2188–2193, IEEE, November 2010.
- T. Zhang, D. Schulze, X. Xu, and J. Kim, “Tetrahedron beam computed tomography (TBCT): a new design of volumetric CT system,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 3365–3378, 2009.
- X. Xu, J. Kim, P. Laganis, D. Schulze, Y. Liang, and T. Zhang, “A tetrahedron beam computed tomography benchtop system with a multiple pixel field emission X-ray tube,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 5500–5509, 2011.
- H. K. Tuy, “Scatter correction for cone-beam CT in radiation therapy,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 546–552, 1983.
- X. Tang, J. Hsieh, A. Hagiwara, R. A. Nilsen, J. B. Thibault, and E. Drapkin, “A three-dimensional weighted cone beam filtered backprojection (CB-FBP) algorithm for image reconstruction in volumetric CT under a circular source trajectory,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 16, pp. 3889–3905, 2005.
- I. A. Feldkamp, L. C. Davis, and J. W. Kress, “Practical cone-beam algorithm,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 612–619, 1984.
- A. K. Hara, R. G. Paden, A. C. Silva, J. L. Kujak, H. J. Lawder, and W. Pavlicek, “Iterative reconstruction technique for reducing body radiation dose at CT: Feasibility Study,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 193, no. 3, pp. 764–771, 2009.
- A. C. Martinsen, H. K. Saether, P. K. Hol, D. R. Olsen, and P. Skaane, “Iterative reconstruction reduces abdominal CT dose,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 1483–1487, 2012.
- J. S. Liow, S. C. Strother, K. Rehm, and D. A. Rottenberg, “Improved resolution for PET volume imaging through three-dimensional iterative reconstruction,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1623–1631, 1997.
- J. B. Thibault, K. D. Sauer, C. A. Bouman, and J. Hsieh, “A three-dimensional statistical approach to improved image quality for multislice helical CT,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 4526–4544, 2007.
- K. Mueller and R. Yagel, “Rapid 3-D cone-beam reconstruction with the simultaneous algebraic reconstruction technique (SART) using 2-D texture mapping hardware,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1227–1237, 2000.
- B. Chiang, S. Nakanishi, A. A. Zamyatin, and D. Shi, “Cone beam artifact reduction in circular computed tomography,” in Proceedings of the Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (NSS/MIC '11), pp. 4143–4144, IEEE, 2011.
- R. Gordon, R. Bender, and G. T. Herman, “Algebraic Reconstruction Techniques (ART) for three-dimensional electron microscopy and X-ray photography,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 471–481, 1970.
- A. H. Andersen and A. C. Kak, “Simultaneous algebraic reconstruction technique (SART): a superior implementation of the art algorithm,” Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 81–94, 1984.
- B. De Man and S. Basu, “Distance-driven projection and backprojection in three dimensions,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 2463–2475, 2004.
- M. Jiang and G. Wang, “Convergence of the Simultaneous Algebraic Reconstruction Technique (SART),” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 957–961, 2003.
- H. Guan and R. Gordon, “A projection access order for speedy convergence of ART (algebraic reconstruction technique): a multilevel scheme for computed tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2005–2022, 1994.
- F. Xu, W. Xu, M. Jones et al., “On the efficiency of iterative ordered subset reconstruction algorithms for acceleration on GPUs,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 261–270, 2010.
- W. M. Pang, J. Qin, Y. Lu, Y. Xie, C. K. Chui, and P. A. Heng, “Accelerating simultaneous algebraic reconstruction technique with motion compensation using CUDA-enabled GPU,” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 187–199, 2011.
- H. Guan and R. Gordon, “Computed tomography using algebraic reconstruction techniques (ARTs) with different projection access schemes: a comparison study under practical situations,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1727–1743, 1996.
- A. Kak and M. Slaney, Principles of Computerized Tomographic Imaging, IEEE Press, 1988.
- H. Kudo, F. Noo, and M. Defrise, “Cone-beam filtered-backprojection algorithm for truncated helical data,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 2885–2909, 1998.
- A. H. Andersen, “Algebraic reconstruction in CT from limited views,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 1989.
- W. Zbijewski and F. J. Beekman, “Characterization and suppression of edge and aliasing artefacts in iterative X-ray CT reconstruction,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 145–157, 2004.
- W. Zbijewski and F. J. Beekman, “Comparison of methods for suppressing edge and aliasing artefacts in iterative X-ray CT reconstruction,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1877–1889, 2006.
- S. Matej and R. M. Lewitt, “Practical considerations for 3-D image reconstruction using spherically symmetric volume elements,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 68–78, 1996.
- F. Xu and K. Mueller, “Accelerating popular tomographic reconstruction algorithms on commodity PC graphics hardware,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 654–663, 2005.
- B. Keck, H. Hofmann, H. Scherl, M. Kowarschik, and J. Hornegger, “GPU-accelerated SART reconstruction using the CUDA programming environment,” in Medical Imaging 2009: Physics of Medical Imaging, E. Samei and J. Hsieh, Eds., vol. 7258 of Proceedings of SPIE, February 2009.
- C. Mora, M. J. Rodríguez-Álvarez, and J. V. Romero, “New pixellation scheme for CT algebraic reconstruction to exploit matrix symmetries,” Computers and Mathematics with Applications, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 715–726, 2008.