- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 159484, 12 pages
Mineralization Potential of Electrospun PDO-Hydroxyapatite-Fibrinogen Blended Scaffolds
1Tissue Engineering Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, School of Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, East Hall, Room E1254, 401 W. Main St, P.O. Box 843067, Richmond, VA 23284-3067, USA
2School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298-0566, USA
3Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service, Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23249, USA
4Biomaterials Laboratory, School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298-0566, USA
Received 11 May 2012; Accepted 5 July 2012
Academic Editor: Mervi Puska
Copyright © 2012 Isaac A. Rodriguez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. D. Fallin, J. B. Hetmanski, J. Park et al., “Family-based analysis of MSX1 haplotypes for association with oral clefts,” Genetic Epidemiology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 168–175, 2003.
- Z. Zhang, Y. Song, X. Zhao, X. Zhang, C. Fermin, and Y. Chen, “Rescue of cleft palate in Msx1-deficient mice by transgenic Bmp4 reveals a network of BMP and Shh signaling in the regulation of mammalian palatogenesis,” Development, vol. 129, no. 17, pp. 4135–4146, 2002.
- J. R. Sandy, “Molecular, clinical and political approaches to the problem of cleft lip and palate,” Surgeon, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2003.
- A. M. Sadove, J. A. Van Aalst, and J. A. Culp, “Cleft palate repair: art and issues,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 231–241, 2004.
- J. L. Moreau, J. F. Caccamese, D. P. Coletti, J. J. Sauk, and J. P. Fisher, “Tissue engineering solutions for cleft palates,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 2503–2511, 2007.
- D. Logeart-Avramoglou, F. Anagnostou, R. Bizios, and H. Petite, “Engineering bone: challenges and obstacles,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 72–84, 2005.
- S. S. Kim, M. Sun Park, O. Jeon, C. Yong Choi, and B. S. Kim, “Poly(lactide-co-glycolide)/hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1399–1409, 2006.
- A. A. Al-Munajjed, N. A. Plunkett, J. P. Gleeson et al., “Development of a biomimetic collagen-hydroxyapatite scaffold for bone tissue engineering using a SBF immersion technique,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 584–591, 2009.
- S. S. Kim, K. M. Ahn, M. S. Park, J. H. Lee, C. Y. Choi, and B. S. Kim, “A poly(lactide-co-glycolide)/hydroxyapatite composite scaffold with enhanced osteoconductivity,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 206–215, 2007.
- J. R. Venugopal, S. Low, A. T. Choon, A. B. Kumar, and S. Ramakrishna, “Nanobioengineered electrospun composite nanofibers and osteoblasts for bone regeneration,” Artificial Organs, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 388–397, 2008.
- S. S. Kim, M. S. Park, S. J. Gwak, C. Y. Choi, and B. S. Kim, “Accelerated bonelike apatite growth on porous polymer/ceramic composite scaffolds in vitro,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 2997–3006, 2006.
- A. Abarrategi, C. Moreno-Vicente, F. J. Martinez-Vazquez, A. Civantos, V. Ramos, J. V. Sanz-Casado, et al., “Biological properties of solid free form designed ceramic scaffolds with BMP-2: in vitro and in vivo evaluation,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e34117, 2012.
- A. Elshahat, “Correction of craniofacial skeleton contour defects using bioactive glas particles,” Egyptian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 2006.
- Z. L. Ni, H. S. Liu, Q. Y. Qu, H. L. Lu, B. Yan, and Q. H. Zhang, “Using of titanium mesh for the reconstruction of skull base defect,” Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 351–354, 2006.
- E. K. Moioli, P. A. Clark, X. Xin, S. Lal, and J. J. Mao, “Matrices and scaffolds for drug delivery in dental, oral and craniofacial tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, no. 4-5, pp. 308–324, 2007.
- J. E. Zins, A. Moreira-Gonzalez, A. Parikh, E. Arslan, T. Bauer, and M. Siemionow, “Biomechanical and histologic evaluation of the Norian Craniofacial Repair System and Norian Craniofacial Repair System Fast Set Putty in the long-term reconstruction of full-thickness skull defects in a sheep model,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 271e–282e, 2008.
- J. R. Porter, T. T. Ruckh, and K. C. Popat, “Bone tissue engineering: a review in bone biomimetics and drug delivery strategies,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1539–1560, 2009.
- G. Ciardelli, P. Gentile, V. Chiono et al., “Enzymatically crosslinked porous composite matrices for bone tissue regeneration,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 137–151, 2010.
- S. Weiner and W. Traub, “Bone structure: from angstroms to microns,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 879–885, 1992.
- J. Salo, “Bone resorbing osteoclasts reveal two basal plasma membrane domains and transcytosis of degraded matrix material,” Anatomy and Cell Biology, 2002.
- J. H. Jang, O. Castano, and H. W. Kim, “Electrospun materials as potential platforms for bone tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1065–1083, 2009.
- P. A. Madurantakam, I. A. Rodriguez, C. P. Cost et al., “Multiple factor interactions in biomimetic mineralization of electrospun scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 29, pp. 5456–5464, 2009.
- W. L. Murphy, D. H. Kohn, and D. J. Mooney, “Growth of continuous bonelike mineral within porous poly(lactide-co-glycolide) scaffolds in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 50–58, 2000.
- X. Li, J. Xie, X. Yuan, and Y. Xia, “Coating electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone) fibers with gelatin and calcium phosphate and their use as biomimetic scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 24, pp. 14145–14150, 2008.
- J. Chen, B. Chu, and B. S. Hsiao, “Mineralization of hydroxyapatite in electrospun nanofibrous poly(L-lactic acid) scaffolds,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 307–317, 2006.
- D. Zhang, J. Chang, and Y. Zeng, “Fabrication of fibrous poly(butylene succinate)/wollastonite/apatite composite scaffolds by electrospinning and biomimetic process,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 443–449, 2008.
- A. Oyane, M. Uchida, Y. Yokoyama, C. Choong, J. Triffitt, and A. Ito, “Simple surface modification of poly(ε-caprolactone) to induce its apatite-forming ability,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 138–145, 2005.
- K. Shin, A. C. Jayasuriya, and D. H. Kohn, “Effect of ionic activity products on the structure and composition of mineral self assembled on three-dimensional poly(lactide-co-glycolide) scaffolds,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 1076–1086, 2007.
- T. Kokubo, H. Kushitani, S. Sakka, T. Kitsugi, and T. Yamamuro, “Solutions able to reproduce in vivo surface-structure changes in bioactive glass-ceramic A-W3,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 721–734, 1990.
- T. Kokubo and H. Takadama, “How useful is SBF in predicting in vivo bone bioactivity?” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 2907–2915, 2006.
- J. A. Hubbell, “Biomaterials in tissue engineering,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 565–576, 1995.
- S. A. Sell, M. P. Francis, K. Garg, M. J. McClure, D. G. Simpson, and G. L. Bowlin, “Cross-linking methods of electrospun fibrinogen scaffolds for tissue engineering applications,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 3, no. 4, Article ID 045001, 2008.
- M. C. McManus, E. D. Boland, D. G. Simpson, C. P. Barnes, and G. L. Bowlin, “Electrospun fibrinogen: feasibility as a tissue engineering scaffold in a rat cell culture model,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 299–309, 2007.
- C. R. Carlisle, C. Coulais, M. Namboothiry, D. L. Carroll, R. R. Hantgan, and M. Guthold, “The mechanical properties of individual, electrospun fibrinogen fibers,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1205–1213, 2009.
- R. F. Doolittle, “Fibrinogen and fibrin,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 53, pp. 195–229, 1984.
- J. K. Erban, “P-selectin and wound healing,” Behring Institute Mitteilungen, no. 92, pp. 248–257, 1993.
- P. H. Weigel, G. M. Fuller, and R. D. LeBoeuf, “A model for the role of hyaluronic acid and fibrin in the early events during the inflammatory response and wound healing,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 219–234, 1986.
- M. C. McManus, E. D. Boland, H. P. Koo et al., “Mechanical properties of electrospun fibrinogen structures,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 2006.
- S. Sell, C. Barnes, D. Simpson, and G. Bowlin, “Scaffold permeability as a means to determine fiber diameter and pore size of electrospun fibrinogen,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2008.
- A. Oyane, H. M. Kim, T. Furuya, T. Kokubo, T. Miyazaki, and T. Nakamura, “Preparation and assessment of revised simulated body fluids,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 188–195, 2003.
- C. A. Gregory, W. G. Gunn, A. Peister, and D. J. Prockop, “An Alizarin red-based assay of mineralization by adherent cells in culture: comparison with cetylpyridinium chloride extraction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 329, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2004.
- Y. Song, S. Wen, and M. Li, “The investigation on preparation & physicochemical process of nanosized hydroxyapatite powder,” in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Symposium, pp. 135–140, April 2002.
- J. C. Elliott, Structure and Chemistry of Apatites and Other Calcium Orthophosphates, Elsevier, 1994.
- H. M. Kim, K. Kishimoto, F. Miyaji, T. Kokubo, T. Yao, Y. Suetsugu, et al., “Composition and structure of the apatite formed on PET substrates in SBF modified with various ionic activity products,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 228–235, 1999.
- H. M. Kim, K. Kishimoto, F. Miyaji et al., “Composition and structure of apatite formed on organic polymer in simulated body fluid with a high content of carbonate ion,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 421–426, 2000.