- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 170520, 7 pages
Xenograft Enriched with Autologous Bone Marrow in Inlay Reconstructions: A Tomographic and Histomorphometric Study in Rabbit Calvaria
1Medicine School, Unifesp, Rua Pedro de Toledo, 781-11 andar, 04039-032 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Unesp Dental School, 04039-032 São José dos Campos, SP, Brazil
Received 8 May 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Gissur Örlygsson
Copyright © 2012 Marcelo de Oliveira e Silva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. C. Gamradt and J. R. Lieberman, “Bone graft for revision hip arthroplasty: biology and future applications,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 417, pp. 183–194, 2003.
- R. Zimmermann, R. Jakubietz, M. Jakubietz et al., “Different preparation methods to obtain platelet components as a source of growth factors for local application,” Transfusion, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1217–1224, 2001.
- W. R. Moore, S. E. Graves, and G. I. Bain, “Synthetic bone graft substitutes,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 354–361, 2001.
- M. Chiapasco, P. Casentini, and M. Zaniboni, “Bone augmentation procedures in implant dentistry,” The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 24, supplement, pp. 237–259, 2009.
- S. E. Duailibi, M. T. Duailibi, W. Zhang, R. Asrican, J. P. Vacanti, and P. C. Yelick, “Bioengineered dental tissues grown in the rat jaw,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, no. 8, pp. 745–750, 2008.
- B. Johnstone, T. M. Hering, A. I. Caplan, V. M. Goldberg, and J. U. Yoo, “In vitro chondrogenesis of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal progenitor cells,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 238, no. 1, pp. 265–272, 1998.
- A. Khojasteh, M. B. Eslaminejad, and H. Nazarian, “Mesenchymal stem cells enhance bone regeneration in rat calvarial critical size defects more than platelete-rich plasma,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 356–362, 2008.
- K. Sato, N. Haruyama, Y. Shimizu, J. Hara, and H. Kawamura, “Osteogenesis by gradually expanding the interface between bone surface and periosteum enhanced by bone marrow stem cell administration in rabbits,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 32–40, 2010.
- H. Kawaguchi, A. Hirachi, N. Hasegawa et al., “Enhancement of periodontal tissue regeneration by transplantation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 1281–1287, 2004.
- N. Hasegawa, H. Kawaguchi, A. Hirachi et al., “Behavior of transplanted bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in periodontal defects,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1003–1007, 2006.
- F. Pieri, E. Lucarelli, G. Corinaldesi et al., “Effect of mesenchymal stem cells and platelet-rich plasma on the healing of standardized bone defects in the alveolar ridge: a comparative histomorphometric study in minipigs,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 265–272, 2009.
- A. A. Pelegrine, C. E. da Costa, M. E. Correa, and J. F. Marques, “Clinical and histomorphometric evaluation of extraction sockets treated with an autologous bone marrow graft,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 535–542, 2010.
- A. A. Pelegrine, C. E. S. D. Costa, W. R. Sendyk, and A. Gromatzky, “The comparative analysis of homologous fresh frozen bone and autogenous bone graft, associated or not with autogenous bone marrow, in rabbit calvaria: a clinical and histomorphometric study,” Cell and Tissue Banking, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 171–184, 2010.
- N. Kotobuki, M. Hirose, Y. Takakura, and H. Ohgushi, “Cultured autologous human cells for hard tissue regeneration: preparation and characterization of mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow,” Artificial Organs, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2004.
- S. Sauerbier, A. Stricker, J. Kuschnierz et al., “In vivo comparison of hard tissue regeneration with human mesenchymal stem cells processed with either the ficoll method or the BMAC method,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 215–223, 2010.
- Y. Yamada, S. Nakamura, K. Ito et al., “Injectable tissue-engineered bone using autogenous bone marrow-derived stromal cells for maxillary sinus augmentation: clinical application report from a 2–6-year follow-up,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1699–1707, 2008.
- S. Sakai, H. Mishima, T. Ishii et al., “Concentration of bone marrow aspirate for osteogenic repair using simple centrifugal methods,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 445–448, 2008.
- S. H. Kim, K. H. Kim, B. M. Seo et al., “Alveolar bone regeneration by transplantation of periodontal ligament stem cells and bone marrow stem cells in a canine peri-implant defect model: a pilot study,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1815–1823, 2009.
- Y. J. Hwang and J. Y. Choi, “Addition of mesenchymal stem cells to the scaffold of platelet-rich plasma is beneficial for the reduction of the consolidation period in mandibular distraction osteogenesis,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1112–1124, 2010.
- Y. Wu, L. Chen, P. G. Scott, and E. E. Tredget, “Mesenchymal stem cells enhance wound healing through differentiation and angiogenesis,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2648–2659, 2007.
- M. M. Bornstein, G. Heynen, D. D. Bosshardt, and D. Buser, “Effect of two bioabsorbable barrier membranes on bone regeneration of standardized defects in calvarial bone: a comparative histomorphometric study in pigs,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 80, no. 8, pp. 1289–1299, 2009.
- E. Borie, R. Fuentes, M. del Sol, G. Oporto, and W. Engelke, “The influence of FDBA and autogenous bone particles on regeneration of calvaria defects in the rabbit: a pilot study,” Annals of Anatomy, vol. 193, no. 5, pp. 412–417, 2011.
- T. Berglundh and J. Lindhe, “Healing around implants placed in bone defects treated with Bio-Oss: an experimental study in the dog,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 117–124, 1997.
- M. Piattelli, G. A. Favero, A. Scarano, G. Orsini, and A. Piattelli, “Bone reactions to anorganic bovine bone (Bio-Oss) used in sinus augmentation procedures: a histologic long-term report of 20 cases in humans,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 835–840, 1999.
- M. Hallman, A. Cederlund, S. Lindskog, S. Lundgren, and L. Sennerby, “A clinical histologic study of bovine hydroxyapatite in combination with autogenous bone and fibrin glue for maxillary sinus floor augmentation: results after 6 to 8 months of healing,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 135–143, 2001.
- E. S. Tadjoedin, G. L. De Lange, A. L. J. J. Bronckers, D. M. Lyaruu, and E. H. Burger, “Deproteinized cancellous bovine bone (Bio-Oss®) as bone substitute for sinus floor elevation. A retrospective, histomorphometrical study of five cases,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 261–270, 2003.
- V. Sollazzo, A. Palmieri, L. Scapoli, et al., “Bio-oss acts on stem cells derived from peripheral blood,” Oman Medical Journal, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2010.
- E. Lucarelli, D. Donati, A. Cenacchi, and P. M. Fornasari, “Bone reconstruction of large defects using bone marrow derived autologous stem cells,” Transfusion and Apheresis Science, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 2004.
- D. Paley, M. C. Young, A. M. Wiley, V. L. Fornasier, and R. W. Jackson, “Percutaneous bone marrow grafting of fractures and bony defects: an experimental study in rabbits,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 208, pp. 300–312, 1986.
- C. E. S. Costa, A. A. Pelegrine, D. J. Fagundes, M. J. Simoes, and M. O. Taha, “Use of corticocancellous allogeneic bone blocks impregnated with bone marrow aspirate: a clinical, tomographic, and histomorphometric study,” General Dentistry, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 98–103, 2011.
- D. Busenlechner, M. Kantor, S. Tangl et al., “Alveolar ridge augmentation with a prototype trilayer membrane and various bone grafts: a histomorphometric study in baboons,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 220–227, 2005.
- Y. K. Kim, P. Y. Yun, S. G. Kim, and S. C. Lim, “Analysis of the healing process in sinus bone grafting using various grafting materials,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 204–211, 2009.
- W. E. Roberts, P. K. Turley, N. Brezniak, and P. J. Fielder, “Implants: bone physiology and metabolism,” CDA Journal California Dental Association, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 54–61, 1987.