- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 290179, 7 pages
Preparation of Bioactive Titanium Surfaces via Fluoride and Fibronectin Retention
1Biomaterials Laboratory, Instituto Militar de Engenharia, Pr Gen Tibúrcio 80, 22290-270 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
2Avenue Carlos Chagas Filho, 373, Cidade Universitária-21941-902 Rio de janeiro, RJ, Brazil
3Rodovia Washington Luís km 235, 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
Received 4 August 2012; Accepted 26 September 2012
Academic Editor: Paulo Guilherme Coelho
Copyright © 2012 Carlos Nelson Elias et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P.-I. Branemark, “Introduction to osseointegration,” in Tissue- Integrated Prostheses, Osseointegration in Clinical Dentistry, pp. 11–76, Quintessence, Chicago, Ill, USA, 5th edition, 1985.
- C. N. Elias and L. Meirelles, “Improving osseointegration of dental implants,” Expert Review of Medical Devices, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 241–256, 2010.
- L. M. Gil, T. C. Ladeira, G. C. Menezes, and F. C. Silva-Filho, “The cell-extracellular matrix-biomaterial interface and the biocompatibility of titanium implants,” Innovations Implant Journal, vol. 4, pp. 58–64, 2009.
- L. Scheideler, F. Rupp, H. P. Wendel, S. Sathe, and J. Geis-Gerstorfer, “Photocoupling of fibronectin to titanium surfaces influences keratinocyte adhesion, pellicle formation and thrombogenicity,” Dental Materials, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 469–478, 2007.
- S. A. Cho and K. T. Park, “The removal torque of titanium screw inserted in rabbit tibia treated by dual acid etching,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 20, pp. 3611–3617, 2003.
- A. Wennerberg, T. Albrektsson, and J. Lindhe, “Surface topography of titanium implants,” in Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, pp. 821–825, 4th edition, 2003.
- J. E. Davies, “Understanding peri-implant endosseous healing,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 932–949, 2003.
- C. B. Johansson, A. Wennerberg, A. Holmen, and J. E. Ellingsen, “Enhanced fixation of bone to fluoride-modified implants,” in Proceedings of the 6th World Biomaterials Congress, Sydney, Australia, 2000.
- J. E. Ellingsen and S. P. Lyngstadaas, “Increasing biocompatibility by chemical modification of titanium surfaces,” in Bio-Implant Interface: Improving Biomaterials and Tissue Reactions, pp. 323–340, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1st edition, 2003.
- G. D. Menezes, A Interação de Osteoblastos Humanos com Filmes de Fibronectina Plasmática Humana Constituídos Sob Diferentes Condições de pH [Dissertação (Mestrado)], Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, IBCCF, 2003.
- J. M. Park, J. Y. Koak, J. H. Jang, C. H. Han, S. K. Kim, and S. J. Heo, “Osseointegration of anodized titanium implants coated with fibroblast growth factor-fibronectin (FGF-FN) fusion protein,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 859–866, 2006.
- M. Antia, G. Baneyx, K. E. Kubow, and V. Vogel, “Fibronectin in aging extracellular matrix fibrils is progressively unfolded by cells and elicits an enhanced rigidity response,” Faraday Discussions, vol. 139, pp. 229–249, 2008.
- S. Miyamoto, B. Z. Katz, R. M. Lafrenie, and K. M. Yamada, “Fibronectin and integrins in cell adhesion, signaling, and morphogenesis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 857, pp. 119–129, 1998.
- T. A. Petrie, J. E. Raynor, C. D. Reyes, K. L. Burns, D. M. Collard, and A. J. García, “The effect of integrin-specific bioactive coatings on tissue healing and implant osseointegration,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 19, pp. 2849–2857, 2008.
- A. R. Dos Santos, F. Costa E Silva, and G. A. De Soares, “The interaction between human osteoblastic cells and titanium anodized with sulphuric acid coated or not with human plasma fibronectin,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 396-398, pp. 389–392, 2009.
- Y. Ku, C. P. Chung, and J. H. Jang, “The effect of the surface modification of titanium using a recombinant fragment of fibronectin and vitronectin on cell behavior,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 25, pp. 5153–5157, 2005.