- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 381535, 5 pages
Effects of Surface Charges on Dental Implants: Past, Present, and Future
Department of Dental Materials Science, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong
Received 20 March 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Carlos Nelson Elias
Copyright © 2012 Cecilia Yan Guo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Albrektsson and C. Johansson, “Osteoinduction, osteoconduction and osseointegration,” European Spine Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. S96–S101, 2001.
- S. Kakuta, K. Miyaoka, S. Fujimori, W. S. Lee, T. Miyazaki, and M. Nagumo, “Proliferation and differentiation of bone marrow cells on titanium plates treated with a wire-type electrical discharge machine,” The Journal of oral implantology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 156–162, 2000.
- P. I. Brånemark, G. A. Zarb, and T. Albreksson, “Tissue-integrated prostheses. osseointegration in clinical dentistry,” Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 496–497, 1986.
- T. Albrektsson, A. R. Eriksson, B. Friberg et al., “Histologic investigations on 33 retrieved nobelpharma implants,” Clinical Materials, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1993.
- C. Y. Guo, A. T. H. Tang, and J. P. Matinlinna, “Insights into surface treatment methods of titanium dental implants,” Journal of Adhesion Science & Technology, vol. 26, pp. 189–205, 2012.
- I. F. Amaral, A. L. Cordeiro, P. Sampaio, and M. A. Barbosa, “Attachment, spreading and short-term proliferation of human osteoblastic cells cultured on chitosan films with different degrees of acetylation,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 469–485, 2007.
- J. P. Matinlinna, S. Areva, L. V. J. Lassila, and P. K. Vallittu, “Characterization of siloxane films on titanium substrate derived front three aminosilanes,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1314–1322, 2004.
- B. D. Boyan, T. W. Hummert, D. D. Dean, and Z. Schwartz, “Role of material surfaces in regulating bone and cartilage cell response,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 137–146, 1996.
- C. F. Bell and K. A. K. Lott, Modern Approach To Inorganic Chemistry, Butterworths, London, UK, 3rd edition, 1972.
- J. P. Matinlinna and P. K. Vallittu, “Silane based concepts on bonding resin composite to metals,” Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 001–008, 2007.
- R. B. Heslop and P. L. Robinson, Inorganic Chemistry, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 3rd edition, 1967.
- R. J. H. Clark, The Chemistry of Titanium and Vanadium, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1968.
- P. Li, C. Ohtsuki, T. Kokubo, K. Nakanishi, N. Soga, and K. De Groot, “The role of hydrated silica, titania, and alumina in inducing apatite on implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 1994.
- L. L. Hench, “Bioceramics: from concept to clinic,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 1487–1510, 1991.
- T. Kokubo, “Bioactive glass ceramics: properties and applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 155–163, 1991.
- H. M. Kim, F. Miyaji, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Preparation of bioactive Ti and its alloys via simple chemical surface treatment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 409–417, 1996.
- D. K. Pattanayak, T. Kawai, T. Matsushita, H. Takadama, T. Nakamura, and T. Kokubo, “Effect of HCl concentrations on apatite-forming ability of NaOH-HCl- and heat-treated titanium metal,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2401–2411, 2009.
- S. Nishiguchi, S. Fujibayashi, H. M. Kim, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Biology of alkali- and heat-treated titanium implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 26–35, 2003.
- T. Kokubo, D. K. Pattanayak, S. Yamaguchi et al., “Positively charged bioactive Ti metal prepared by simple chemical and heat treatments,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. S503–S513, 2010.
- P. Ducheyne, P. Bianco, S. Radin, and E. Schepers, “Bioactive materials: mechanisms and bioengineering considerations,” in Bone Bioactive Biomaterials, P. Ducheyne, T. Kokubo, and C. A. van Blitterswijk, Eds., pp. 1–12, Reed Healthcare Communications, Leiderdorp, The Netherlands, 1993.
- P. Ducheyne and J. M. Cuckler, “Bioactive ceramic prosthetic coatings,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 276, pp. 102–114, 1992.
- L. L. Hench and E. C. Ethridge, Biomaterials: An Interfacial Approach, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- T. Kokubo, “Bioactivity of glasses and glass ceramics,” in Bone-Bonding Materials, P. Ducheyne, T. Kokubo, and C. A. van Blitterswijk, Eds., pp. 31–46, Reed Healthcare Communications, Leiderdorp, The Netherlands, 1992.
- P. Li and F. Zhang, “The electrochemistry of a glass surface and its application to bioactive glass in solution,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 112–118, 1990.
- D. A. Puleo and A. Nanci, “Understanding and controlling the bone-implant interface,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 23-24, pp. 2311–2321, 1999.
- K. Anselme, “Osteoblast adhesion on biomaterials,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 667–681, 2000.
- M. Ohgaki, T. Kizuki, M. Katsura, and K. Yamashita, “Manipulation of selective cell adhesion and growth by surface charges of electrically polarized hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 366–373, 2001.
- J. D. Andrade, “Principles of protein adsorption,” in Surface and Interfacial Aspects of Biomedical Polymers, J. D. Andrade, Ed., pp. 1–80, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- J. L. Brash and T. A. Horbett, “Proteins at interfaces: current issues and future prospects,” in Proteins at Interfaces: Physicochemical and Biochemical Studies, J. L. Brash and T. A. Horbett, Eds., pp. 1–33, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1987.
- K. A. Hing, “Bone repair in the twenty-first century: biology, chemistry or engineering?” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 362, no. 1825, pp. 2821–2850, 2004.
- S. Shimabayashi, C. Tamura, and M. Nakagaki, “Adsorption of hydroxyl ion on hydroxyapatite,” Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 3090–3098, 1981.
- S. K. Nishimoto, M. Nishimoto, S. W. Park et al., “The effect of titanium surface roughening on protein absorption, cell attachment, and cell spreading,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 675–680, 2008.
- C. Y. Guo, J. P. Matinlinna, and A. T. H. Tang, “A novel finding of sandblasting’s effect on titanium surface—static charges generation,” Journal of Adhesion Science & Technology, vol. 26, no. 23, pp. 2603–2613, 2012.