- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 415230, 6 pages
Nanomechanical Characterization of Canine Femur Bone for Strain Rate Sensitivity in the Quasistatic Range under Dry versus Wet Conditions
1Composite Materials and Mechanics Laboratory, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
2Department of Biomaterials and Biomimetics, College of Dentistry, New York University, 345 24th Street 813a, New York, NY 10010, USA
3Department of Epidemiology, New York University, NY 10010, USA
4Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, College of Dentistry, New York University, 345 24th Street 813a, New York, NY 10010, USA
Received 24 April 2012; Revised 7 November 2012; Accepted 8 November 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas J. Webster
Copyright © 2012 Kun-Lin Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Zioupos, “Ageing human bone: factors affecting its biomechanical properties and the role of collagen,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 187–229, 2001.
- J. S. Nyman, A. Roy, X. Shen, R. L. Acuna, J. H. Tyler, and X. Wang, “The influence of water removal on the strength and toughness of cortical bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 931–938, 2006.
- R. M. Kulin, F. Jiang, and K. S. Vecchio, “Effects of age and loading rate on equine cortical bone failure,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 57–75, 2011.
- J. D. Currey, “The effect of porosity and mineral content on the young's modulus of elasticity of compact bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 131–139, 1988.
- R. O. Ritchie, M. J. Buehler, and P. Hansma, “Plasticity and toughness in bone,” Physics Today, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 41–47, 2009.
- X. Wang, R. A. Bank, J. M. TeKoppele, and C. Mauli Agrawal, “The role of collagen in determining bone mechanical properties,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1021–1026, 2001.
- P. Zioupos, J. D. Currey, and A. J. Hamer, “The role of collagen in the declining mechanical properties of aging human cortical bone,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 108–116, 1999.
- M. J. Buehler, “Nanomechanics of collagen fibrils under varying cross-link densities: atomistic and continuum studies,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 59–67, 2008.
- A. Gautieri, M. J. Buehler, and A. Redaelli, “Deformation rate controls elasticity and unfolding pathway of single tropocollagen molecules,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 130–137, 2009.
- W. T. Dempster and R. T. Liddicoat, “Compact bone as a non-isotropic material,” The American Journal of Anatomy, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 331–362, 1952.
- F. G. Evans and M. Lebow, “Regional differences in some of the physical properties of the human femur,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 563–572, 1951.
- E. D. Sedlin and C. Hirsch, “Factors affecting the determination of the physical properties of femoral cortical bone,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 29–48, 1966.
- J. W. Smith and R. Walmsley, “Factors affecting the elasticity of bone,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 93, pp. 503–523, 1959.
- J. D. Currey, “Anelasticity in bone and echinoderm skeletons,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 43, pp. 279–292, 1965.
- D. Zhang, S. Weinbaum, and S. C. Cowin, “Estimates of the peak pressures in bone pore water,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 697–703, 1998.
- J. Y. Rho, L. Kuhn-Spearing, and P. Zioupos, “Mechanical properties and the hierarchical structure of bone,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 92–102, 1998.
- C. Edward Hoffler, X. E. Guo, P. K. Zysset, and S. A. Goldstein, “An application of nanoindentation technique to measure bone tissue lamellae properties,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 127, no. 7, pp. 1046–1053, 2005.
- D. R. Carter and W. C. Hayes, “Bone compressive strength: the influence of density and strain rate,” Science, vol. 194, no. 4270, pp. 1174–1175, 1976.
- T. M. Wright and W. C. Hayes, “Tensile testing of bone over a wide range of strain rates: effects of strain rate, microstructure and density,” Medical and Biological Engineering, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 671–680, 1976.
- B. Yu, G. F. Zhao, J. I. Lim, and Y. K. Lee, “Compressive mechanical properties of bovine cortical bone under varied loading rates,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part H, vol. 225, no. 10, pp. 941–947, 2011.
- J. M. Wallace, “Applications of atomic force microscopy for the assessment of nanoscale morphological and mechanical properties of bone,” Bone, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 420–427, 2012.
- C. E. Hoffler, K. E. Moore, K. Kozloff, P. K. Zysset, M. B. Brown, and S. A. Goldstein, “Heterogeneity of bone lamellar-level elastic moduli,” Bone, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 603–609, 2000.
- P. K. Zysset, X. E. Guo, C. Edward Hoffler, K. E. Moore, and S. A. Goldstein, “Elastic modulus and hardness of cortical and trabecular bone lamellae measured by nanoindentation in the human femur,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1005–1012, 1999.
- S. Hengsberger, A. Kulik, and P. H. Zysset, “Nanoindentation discriminates the elastic properties of individual human bone lamellae under dry and physiological conditions,” Bone, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 178–184, 2002.
- C. H. Turner, J. Rho, Y. Takano, T. Y. Tsui, and G. M. Pharr, “The elastic properties of trabecular and cortical bone tissues are similar: results from two microscopic measurement techniques,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 437–441, 1999.
- K. Tai, M. Dao, S. Suresh, A. Palazoglu, and C. Ortiz, “Nanoscale heterogeneity promotes energy dissipation in bone,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 454–462, 2007.
- H. H. K. Xu, D. T. Smith, S. Jahanmir et al., “Indentation damage and mechanical properties of human enamel and dentin,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 472–480, 1998.
- W. C. Oliver and G. M. Pharr, “A method for interpreting the data from depth-sensing indentation instruments,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 1, pp. 601–609, 1992.
- M. Dickinson, “Nanoindentation of biological composites,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 4, no. 1, Article ID 012015, 2009.
- R. Z. LeGeros, G. Bonel, and R. Legros, “Types of “H2O ” in human enamel and in precipitated apatites,” Calcified Tissue Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 111–118, 1978.
- M. M. Ntim, A. K. Bembey, V. I. Ferguson, and A. J. Bushby, “Hydration effects on the viscoelastic properties of collagen,” MRS Proceedings, vol. 898E, Article ID L05-02.01-05, 2006.
- R. M. Kulin, F. Jaing, and K. S. Vecchio, “Aging and loading rate effects on the mechanical behavior of equine bone,” JOM, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 39–44, 2008.
- F. Linde, P. Nørgaard, I. Hvid, A. Odgaard, and K. Søballe, “Mechanical properties of trabecular bone. Dependency on strain rate,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 803–809, 1991.