- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 579274, 9 pages
Novel Implant Coating Agent Promotes Gene Expression of Osteogenic Markers in Rats during Early Osseointegration
1Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Odontology, Malmö University, 205 06 Malmö, Sweden
2Department of Clinical Dentistry, Center for Clinical Research, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bergen, Årstadveien 17, 5009 Bergen, Norway
Received 9 September 2012; Accepted 6 October 2012
Academic Editor: Carlos Nelson Elias
Copyright © 2012 Kostas Bougas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Jemt and J. Johansson, “Implant treatment in the edentulous maxillae: a 15-year follow-up study on 76 consecutive patients provided with fixed prostheses,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 61–69, 2006.
- T. Jemt, “Single implants in the anterior maxilla after 15 years of follow-up: comparison with central implants in the edentulous maxilla,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 400–408, 2008.
- P. Åstrand, J. Ahlqvist, J. Gunne, and H. Nilson, “Implant treatment of patients with edentulous jaws: a 20-year follow-up,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 207–217, 2008.
- D. F. Williams, The Williams Dictionary of Biomaterials, Liverpool University Press, Liverpool, UK, 1st edition, 1999.
- M. Jungner, P. Lundqvist, and S. Lundgren, “Oxidized titanium implants (Nobel Biocare TiUnite) compared with turned titanium implants (Nobel Biocare mark III) with respect to implant failure in a group of consecutive patients treated with early functional loading and two-stage protocol,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 308–312, 2005.
- B. Friberg and T. Jemt, “Rehabilitation of edentulous mandibles by means of five TiUnite implants after one-stage surgery: a 1-year retrospective study of 90 patients,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2008.
- M. Brechter, H. Nilson, and S. Lundgren, “Oxidized titanium implants in reconstructive jaw surgery,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 7, no. 1, supplement, pp. S83–S87, 2005.
- M. Quirynen and N. Van Assche, “RCT comparing minimally with moderately rough implants—part 2: microbial observations,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 23, pp. 625–634, 2012.
- J. P. Albouy, I. Abrahamsson, L. G. Persson, and T. Berglundh, “Spontaneous progression of peri-implantitis at different types of implants. An experimental study in dogs—I: clinical and radiographic observations,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 997–1002, 2008.
- J. P. Albouy, I. Abrahamsson, L. G. Persson, and T. Berglundh, “Spontaneous progression of ligatured induced peri-implantitis at implants with different surface characteristics. An experimental study in dogs II: histological observations,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 366–371, 2009.
- J. P. Albouy, I. Abrahamsson, and T. Berglundh, “Spontaneous progression of experimental peri-implantitis at implants with different surface characteristics: an experimental study in dogs,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 39, pp. 182–187, 2012.
- J. P. Albouy, I. Abrahamsson, L. G. Persson, and T. Berglundh, “Implant surface characteristics influence the outcome of treatment of peri-implantitis: an experimental study in dogs,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 2011.
- V. Fröjd, L. Chávez de Paz, M. Andersson, A. Wennerberg, J. R. Davies, and G. Svensäter, “In situ analysis of multispecies biofilm formation on customized titanium surfaces,” Molecular Oral Microbiology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 241–252, 2011.
- U. M. E. Wikesjö, Y. H. Huang, A. V. Xiropaidis et al., “Bone formation at recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2-coated titanium implants in the posterior maxilla (Type IV bone) in non-human primates,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 992–1000, 2008.
- F. Thorey, H. Menzel, C. Lorenz, G. Gross, A. Hoffmann, and H. Windhagen, “Osseointegration by bone morphogenetic protein-2 and transforming growth factor beta2 coated titanium implants in femora of New Zealand white rabbits,” Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2011.
- J. Abtahi, P. Tengvall, and P. Aspenberg, “A bisphosphonate-coating improves the fixation of metal implants in human bone. A randomized trial of dental implants,” Bone, vol. 50, pp. 1148–1151, 2012.
- R. Jimbo, T. Sawase, Y. Shibata et al., “Enhanced osseointegration by the chemotactic activity of plasma fibronectin for cellular fibronectin positive cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 24, pp. 3469–3477, 2007.
- M. Nyan, D. Sato, H. Kihara, T. MacHida, K. Ohya, and S. Kasugai, “Effects of the combination with α-tricalcium phosphate and simvastatin on bone regeneration,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 280–287, 2009.
- H. Colognato and P. D. Yurchenco, “Form and function: the laminin family of heterotrimers,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 218, pp. 213–234, 2000.
- P. Roche, H. A. Goldberg, P. D. Delmas, and L. Malaval, “Selective attachment of osteoprogenitors to laminin,” Bone, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 329–336, 1999.
- P. Roche, P. Rousselle, J. C. Lissitzky, P. D. Delmas, and L. Malaval, “Isoform-specific attachment of osteoprogenitors to laminins: mapping to the short arms of laminin-1,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 250, no. 2, pp. 465–474, 1999.
- S. Vukicevic, F. P. Luyten, H. K. Kleinman, and A. H. Reddi, “Differentiation of canalicular cell processes in bone cells by basement membrane matrix components: regulation by discrete domains of laminin,” Cell, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 437–445, 1990.
- K. Bougas, V. Franke Stenport, F. Currie, and A. Wennerberg, “In vitro evaluation of calcium phosphate precipitation on possibly bioactive titanium surfaces in the presence of laminin,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Research, vol. 2, no. 3, article e3, 2011.
- K. Bougas, V. Franke Stenport, P. Tengvall, F. Currie, and A. Wennerberg, “Laminin coating promotes calcium phosphate precipitation on titanium discs in vitro,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Research, vol. 2, no. 4, e5, 2011.
- D. M. Brunette, P. Tengvall, M. Textor, and P. Thomsen, “Proteins at titanium interfaces,” in Titanium in Medicine: Material Science, Surface Science, Engineering, Biological Responses and Medical Applications, pp. 457–483, Sringer, Berlin, Germany, 2001.
- F. Fang, J. Satulovsky, and I. Szleifer, “Kinetics of protein adsorption and desorption on surfaces with grafted polymers,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 1516–1533, 2005.
- P. Linderbäck, N. Harmankaya, A. Askendal, S. Areva, J. Lausmaa, and P. Tengvall, “The effect of heat- or ultra violet ozone-treatment of titanium on complement deposition from human blood plasma,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 18, pp. 4795–4801, 2010.
- F. L. McCrackin, “A FORTRAN program for the analysis of ellipsometer measurements,” NBS technical note 479, Washington, DC, USA, 1969.
- A. Wennerberg and T. Albrektsson, “Suggested guidelines for the topographic evaluation of implant surfaces,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 331–344, 2000.
- T. D. Schmittgen and K. J. Livak, “Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative CT method,” Nature Protocols, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1101–1108, 2008.
- K. Donath and G. Breuner, “A method for the study of undecalcified bones and teeth with attached soft tissues. The Sage-Schliff (sawing and grinding) technique,” Journal of Oral Pathology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 318–326, 1982.
- C. B. Johansson and T. Albrektsson, “A removal torque and histomorphometric study of commercially pure niobium and titanium implants in rabbit bone,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 24–29, 1991.
- C. B. Johansson, L. Sennerby, and T. Albrektsson, “A removal torque and histomorphometric study of bone tissue reactions to commercially pure titanium and Vitallium implants,” The International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 437–441, 1991.
- A. Wennerberg, On surface roughness and implant incorporation [Doctoral thesis], M.S. thesis,, Göteborg, Sweden, 1996.
- O. Omar, S. Svensson, N. Zoric et al., “In vivo gene expression in response to anodically oxidized versus machined titanium implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 1552–1566, 2010.
- O. M. Omar, M. E. Lennerås, F. Suska et al., “The correlation between gene expression of proinflammatory markers and bone formation during osseointegration with titanium implants,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 374–386, 2011.
- O. Omar, F. Suska, M. Lennerås et al., “The influence of bone type on the gene expression in normal bone and at the bone-implant interface: experiments in animal model,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 146–156, 2011.
- T. T. Hägi, L. Enggist, D. Michel, S. J. Ferguson, Y. Liu, and E. B. Hunziker, “Mechanical insertion properties of calcium-phosphate implant coatings,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1214–1222, 2010.
- G. S. Stein, J. B. Lian, A. J. Van Wijnen et al., “Runx2 control of organization, assembly and activity of the regulatory machinery for skeletal gene expression,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 24, pp. 4315–4329, 2004.
- R. T. Franceschi, G. Xiao, D. Jiang, R. Gopalakrishnan, S. Yang, and E. Reith, “Multiple signaling pathways converge on the Cbfa1/Runx2 transcription factor to regulate osteoblast differentiation,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 44, no. 1, supplement, pp. 109–116, 2003.
- M. H. Lee, Y. J. Kim, H. J. Kim et al., “BMP-2-induced Runx2 expression is mediated by Dlx5, and TGF-beta 1 opposes the BMP-2-induced osteoblast differentiation by suppression of Dlx5 expression,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 36, pp. 34387–34394, 2003.
- S. Kuroda, A. S. Virdi, Y. Dai, S. Shott, and D. R. Sumner, “Patterns and localization of gene expression during intramembranous bone regeneration in the rat femoral marrow ablation model,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 212–225, 2005.
- D. Brömme and F. Lecaille, “Cathepsin K inhibitors for osteoporosis and potential off-target effects,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 585–600, 2009.
- K. I. Nakahama, “Cellular communications in bone homeostasis and repair,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 67, no. 23, pp. 4001–4009, 2010.
- R. Jimbo, Y. Xue, M. Hayashi et al., “Genetic responses to nanostructured calcium-phosphate-coated implants,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 90, pp. 1422–1427, 2011.