- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 582685, 9 pages
Polyvinyl Alcohol Hydrogel Irradiated and Acetalized for Osteochondral Defect Repair: Mechanical, Chemical, and Histological Evaluation after Implantation in Rat Knees
1Orthopaedic Biomaterials Laboratory, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas (UNICAMP), Rua Tessália Vieira de Camargo, no. 126, Cidade Universitária “Zeferino Vaz”, 13083-887 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Department of Plastic, Technical College Campinas (COTUCA), University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-887 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 10 March 2012; Revised 20 August 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Frank Feyerabend
Copyright © 2012 N. A. Batista et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. J. Mankin, H. Dorfman, L. Lippiello, and A. Zarins, “Biochemical and metabolic abnormalities in articular cartilage from osteo-arthritic human hips. II. Correlation of morphology with biochemical and metabolic data,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 523–537, 1971.
- H. Mankin, V. C. Mow, J. A. Buckwalter, J. P. Iannotti, and A. Ratcliffe, “Articular cartilage structure, composition and function,” in Orthopaedic Basic Science: Biology and Biomechanics of the Musculoskeletal System, J. A. Buckwalter, T. A. Einhorn, and S. R. Simon, Eds., p. 443, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2000.
- D. Barnewitz, M. Endres, I. Krüger et al., “Treatment of articular cartilage defects in horses with polymer-based cartilage tissue engineering grafts,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 14, pp. 2882–2889, 2006.
- V. C. Mow, M. H. Holmes, and W. M. Lai, “Fluid transport and mechanical properties of articular cartilage: a review,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 377–394, 1984.
- G. M. Peretti, A. Pozzi, R. Ballis, D. Deponti, and F. Pellacci, “Current surgical options for articular cartilage repair,” Acta Neurochirurgica. Supplement, vol. 108, pp. 213–219, 2011.
- W. W. Curl, J. Krome, E. S. Gordon, J. Rushing, B. P. Smith, and G. G. Poehling, “Cartilage injuries: a review of 31,516 knee arthroscopies,” Arthroscopy, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 456–460, 1997.
- A. E. Beris, M. G. Lykissas, C. D. Papageorgiou, and A. D. Georgoulis, “Advances in articular cartilage repair,” Injury, vol. 36, no. 4, supplement, pp. S14–S23, 2005.
- E. B. Hunziker, “Articular cartilage repair: basic science and clinical progress. A review of the current status and prospects,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 432–463, 2002.
- L. L. Johnson, “Arthroscopic abrasion arthroplasty historical and pathologic perspective: present status,” Arthroscopy, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 54–69, 1986.
- J. A. Stammen, S. Williams, D. N. Ku, and R. E. Guldberg, “Mechanical properties of a novel PVA hydrogel in shear and unconfined compression,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 799–806, 2001.
- P. C. Kreuz, S. Müller, C. Ossendorf, C. Kaps, and C. Erggelet, “Treatment of focal degenerative cartilage defects with polymer-based autologous chondrocyte grafts: four-year clinical results,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 11, no. 2, article R33, 2009.
- K. Mithoefer, T. R. McAdams, J. M. Scopp, and B. R. Mandelbaum, “Emerging options for treatment of articular cartilage injury in the athlete,” Clinics in Sports Medicine, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 25–40, 2009.
- R. J. Williams and S. C. Gamradt, “Articular cartilage repair using a resorbable matrix scaffold,” Instructional Course Lectures, vol. 57, pp. 563–571, 2008.
- L. Hangody, G. Kish, Z. Kárpáti, I. Szerb, and I. Udvarhelyi, “Arthroscopic autogenous osteochondral mosaicplasty for the treatment of femoral condylar articular defects: a preliminary report,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 262–267, 1997.
- L. Hangody and P. Füles, “Autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty for the treatment of full-thickness defects of weight-bearing joints: ten years of experimental and clinical experience,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2003.
- M. Brittberg, A. Lindahl, A. Nilsson, C. Ohlsson, O. Isaksson, and L. Peterson, “Treatment of deep cartilage defects in the knee with autologous chondrocyte transplantation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 14, pp. 889–895, 1994.
- I. Martin, D. Schaefer, and B. Dozin, Repair of Osteochondral Lesions, Bookshelf, 2008.
- K. Rezwan, Q. Z. Chen, J. J. Blaker, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Biodegradable and bioactive porous polymer/inorganic composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 18, pp. 3413–3431, 2006.
- J. R. Jones, L. M. Ehrenfried, and L. L. Hench, “Optimising bioactive glass scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 964–973, 2006.
- C. Liu, C. Gong, Y. Pan et al., “Synthesis and characterization of a thermosensitive hydrogel based on biodegradable amphiphilic PCL-Pluronic (L35)-PCL block copolymers,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 302, no. 1–3, pp. 430–438, 2007.
- S. H. Barbanti, C. A. C. Zavaglia, and E. A. R. Duek, “Polímeros Bioreabsorvíveis na Engenharia de Tecidos,” Polimeros, vol. 15, pp. 13–21, 2005.
- V. P. Bavaresco, L. Garrido, N. A. Batista, S. M. Malmonge, and W. D. Belangero, “Mechanical and morphological evaluation of osteochondral implants in dogs,” Artificial Organs, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 310–316, 2008.
- N. A. Batista, Evaluation Behavior Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Hydrogel Acetalized and Irradiated as Substitute of Articular Cartilage Implanted in Wistar Hannover Rat Knees, Unicamp, 2011.
- A. N. Suciu, T. Iwatsubo, M. Matsuda, and T. Nishino, “A study upon durability of the artificial knee joint with PVA hydrogel cartilage,” JSME International Journal C, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 199–208, 2004.
- C. H. Cho, T. Murakami, Y. Sawae et al., “Elasto-plastic contact analysis of an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene tibial component based on geometrical measurement from a retrieved knee prosthesis,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers H, vol. 218, no. 4, pp. 251–259, 2004.
- M. Oka, K. Ushio, P. Kumar et al., “Development of artificial articular cartilage,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers H, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2000.
- Y. Sawae, T. Murakami, H. Higaki, and S. Moriyama, “Lubrication property of total knee prostheses with PVA hydrogel layer as artificial cartilage,” JSME International Journal C, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 356–364, 1996.
- M. Kobayashi, Y. S. Chang, and M. Oka, “A two year in vivo study of polyvinyl alcohol-hydrogel (PVA-H) artificial meniscus,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 3243–3248, 2005.
- V. P. Bavaresco, Estudo Tribológico de hidrogéis poliméricos para serem utilizados como cartilagem articular artificial [Ph.D. thesis], University of Campinas, Campinas—SP, Brazil, 2004.
- Z. Q. Gu, J. M. Xiao, and X. H. Zhang, “Development of a kind of artificial articular cartilage-PVA-hydrogel,” Journal of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 1999.
- A. A. Rodrigues, N. A. Batista, V. P. Bavaresco et al., “Polyvinyl alcohol associated with carbon nanotube scaffolds for osteogenic differentiation of rat bone mesenchymal stem cells,” Carbon, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 450–459, 2012.
- A. A. Rodrigues, N. A. Batista, V. P. Bavaresco et al., “In vivo evaluation of hydrogels of polyvinyl alcohol with and without carbon nanoparticles for osteochondral repair,” Carbon, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 2091–2099, 2012.
- S. M. Malmonge, C. A. C. Zavaglia, and W. D. Belangero, “Biomechanical and histological evaluation of hydrogel implants in articular cartilage,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 307–312, 2000.
- G. E. Kempson, M. A. R. Freeman, and S. A. V. Swanson, “The determination of a creep modulus for articular cartilage from indentation tests on the human femoral head,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 239–250, 1971.
- R. Jekkings and J. L. de Vries, Practical X-Ray Spectrometry, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1970.
- J. W. Criss and L. S. Birks, “Calculation methods for fluorescent X-ray spectrometry: empirical coefficients versus fundamental parameters,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1080–1086, 1968.