- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 632698, 9 pages
Antifungal Activity of Chitosan Nanoparticles and Correlation with Their Physical Properties
1Drug Delivery and Novel Targeting Research Group, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur Campus, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Novel Antibiotic Research Group, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur Campus, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 8 February 2012; Revised 11 May 2012; Accepted 11 May 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas J. Webster
Copyright © 2012 Ling Yien Ing et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Antonio Rampino, Massimiliano Borgogna, Paolo Blasi, Barbara Bellich, and Attilio Cesàro, “Chitosan Nanoparticles: Preparation, Size Evolution and Stability,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2013.
- Wei Zhang, Jiali Zhang, Qixing Jiang, and Wenshui Xia, “The hypolipidemic activity of chitosan nanopowder prepared by ultrafine milling,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 487–491, 2013.
- Qian Yao, Wei Liu, Xiao-Jun Gou, Xiao-Qiang Guo, Jun Yan, Qin Song, Feng-Zheng Chen, Qi Zhao, Chao Chen, and Tian Chen, “Preparation, Characterization, and Cytotoxicity of Various Chitosan Nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2013, pp. 1–6, 2013.
- Simona Morariu, Maria Bercea, and Liviu Sacarescu, “Tailoring of Clay/Poly(ethylene oxide) Hydrogel Properties by Chitosan Incorporation,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 53, no. 35, pp. 13690–13698, 2014.
- Sara Eshghi, Maryam Hashemi, Abdorreza Mohammadi, Fojan Badii, Zahra Mohammadhoseini, and Karim Ahmadi, “Effect of Nanochitosan-Based Coating With and Without Copper Loaded on Physicochemical and Bioactive Components of Fresh Strawberry Fruit (Fragaria x ananassa Duchesne) During Storage,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2397–2409, 2014.
- Elon I. Cadogan, Ching-Hwa Lee, Srinivasa R. Popuri, and Hang-Yi Lin, “Efficiencies of chitosan nanoparticles and crab shell particles in europium uptake from aqueous solutions through biosorption: Synthesis and characterization,” International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 2014.
- Atif Sarwar, Haliza Katas, and Noraziah Mohamad Zin, “Antibacterial effects of chitosan–tripolyphosphate nanoparticles: impact of particle size molecular weight,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 16, no. 7, 2014.
- M.R. Gaafar, R.F. Mady, R.G. Diab, and Th.I. Shalaby, “Chitosan and silver nanoparticles: promising anti-toxoplasma agents,” Experimental Parasitology, 2014.
- Patomporn Chantarasataporn, Preenapha Tepkasikul, Yuthana Kingcha, Rangrong Yoksan, Rath Pichyangkura, Wonnop Visessanguan, and Suwabun Chirachanchai, “Water-based oligochitosan and nanowhisker chitosan as potential food preservatives for shelf-life extension of minced pork,” Food Chemistry, 2014.
- Vuk Uskokovic, and Tejal A. Desai, “In Vitro Analysis of Nanoparticulate Hydroxyapatite/Chitosan Composites as Potential Drug Delivery Platforms for the Sustained Release of Antibiotics in the Treatment of Osteomyelitis,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 567–579, 2014.
- Andréia Lange de Pinho Neves, Camila Cardoso Milioli, Leidiani Müller, Humberto Gracher Riella, Nivaldo Cabral Kuhnen, and Hellen Karine Stulzer, “Factorial design as tool in chitosan nanoparticles development by ionic gelation technique,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2014.
- Jaime Ibarra, Julio Melendres, Mario Almada, María G Burboa, Pablo Taboada, Josué Juárez, and Miguel A Valdez, “Synthesis and characterization of magnetite/PLGA/chitosan nanoparticles,” Materials Research Express, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 095010, 2015.
- Seema Dharni, Sanchita, SreeKuttan M. Unni, Sreekumar Kurungot, Abdul Samad, Ashok Sharma, and Dharani Dhar Patra, “ In vitro and in silico antifungal efficacy of nitrogen-doped carbon nanohorn (NCNH) against Rhizoctonia solani ,” Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, pp. 1–11, 2015.
- Atif Sarwar, Haliza Katas, Siti Noradila Samsudin, and Noraziah Mohamad Zin, “Regioselective Sequential Modification of Chitosan via Azide-Alkyne Click Reaction: Synthesis, Characterization, and Antimicrobial Activity of Chitosa,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 4, 2015.
- Murat Kaya, Talat Baran, Meltem Asan-Ozusaglam, Yavuz Selim Cakmak, Kabil Ozcan Tozak, Abbas Mol, Ayfer Mentes, and Goksal Sezen, “Extraction and characterization of chitin and chitosan with antimicrobial and antioxidant activities from cosmopolitan Orthoptera species (Insecta),” Biotechnology And Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 168–179, 2015.
- Nenad Ignjatović, Victoria Wu, Zorica Ajduković, Tatjana Mihajilov-Krstev, Vuk Uskoković, and Dragan Uskoković, “Chitosan-PLGA polymer blends as coatings for hydroxyapatite nanoparticles and their effect on antimicrobial properties, osteoconductivity and regeneration of osseous tissues,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 2015.
- Maria L. Ojeda-Martinez, Irinea Yanez-Sanchez, Celso Velasquez-Ordonez, Maria M. Martinez-Palomar, Adriana Alvarez-Rodriguez, Miguel A. Garcia-Sanchez, Fernando Rojas-Gonzalez, and Francisco J. Galvez-Gastelum, “Skin wound healing with chitosan thin films containing supported silver nanospheres,” Journal Of Bioactive And Compatible Polymers, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 617–632, 2015.
- Matthew S. P. Boyles, Theresa Kristl, Ancuela Andosch, Mirjam Zimmermann, Ngoc Tran, Eudald Casals, Martin Himly, Victor Puntes, Christian G. Huber, Ursula Luetz-Meindl, and Albert Duschl, “Chitosan functionalisation of gold nanoparticles encourages particle uptake and induces cytotoxicity and pro-inflammatory conditions in phagocytic cel,” Journal Of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 13, 2015.
- Ke Xing, Xiaoqiang Shen, Xiao Zhu, Xiuyun Ju, Xiangmin Miao, Jun Tian, Zhaozhong Feng, Xue Peng, Jihong Jiang, and Sheng Qin, “Synthesis and in vitro antifungal efficacy of oleoyl-chitosan nanoparticles against plant pathogenic fungi,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2015.
- Henrique Sette de Souza Pedro, Dantas de Medeiros Francinalva, Gerlane de Oliveira Pinto Martina, Cesar Queiroz Julio, Izabel Maciel de Sousa Rayanne, Meira Bento Patricia, Pita de Melo Daniela, Muniz Alves Pollianna, and Claudia Dantas de Medeiros Ana, “Antimicrobial potential of chitosan,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 147–154, 2015.
- Angelo Landriscina, Jamie Rosen, and Adam J. Friedman, “Biodegradable chitosan nanoparticles in drug delivery for infectious disease,” Nanomedicine, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1609–1619, 2015.
- Fatma M. Helmi, Naglaa M. Ali, and Sahar M. Ismael, “Nanomaterials For The Inhibition Of Microbial Growth On Ancient Egyptian Funeral Masks,” Mediterranean Archaeology & Archaeometry, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 87–95, 2015.
- Sedef Ilk, Necdet Saglam, and Mustafa Özgen, “Kaempferol loaded lecithin/chitosan nanoparticles: preparation, characterization, and their potential applications as a sustainable antifungal agent,” Artificial Cells, Nanomedicine, and Biotechnology, pp. 1–10, 2016.
- Esmaeil Darabpour, Nasim Kashef, and Shohreh Mashayekhan, “Chitosan nanoparticles enhance the efficiency of methylene blue-mediated antimicrobial photodynamic inactivation of bacterial biofilms: An in vitro study,” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, vol. 14, pp. 211–217, 2016.
- Almudena Aranda-Martinez, Federico Lopez-Moya, and Luis Vicente Lopez-Llorca, “Cell wall composition plays a key role on sensitivity of filamentous fungi to chitosan,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, 2016.
- Lluís Palou, Asgar Ali, Elazar Fallik, and Gianfranco Romanazzi, “GRAS, plant- and animal-derived compounds as alternatives to conventional fungicides for the control of postharvest diseases of fresh horticultural produce,” Postharvest Biology and Technology, 2016.
- Baozhen Sun, Haizhi Quan, and Fei Zhu, “Dietary chitosan nanoparticles protect crayfish Procambarus clarkii against white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) infection,” Fish & Shellfish Immunology, 2016.
- Ana Guadalupe Luque-Alcaraz, Mario Onofre Cortez-Rocha, Carlos Arturo Velázquez-Contreras, Ana Lilian Acosta-Silva, Hisila del Carmen Santacruz-Ortega, Armando Burgos-Hernández, Waldo Manuel Argüelles-Monal, and Maribel Plascencia-Jatomea, “ Enhanced Antifungal Effect of Chitosan/Pepper Tree ( Schinus molle ) Essential Oil Bionanocomposites on the Viability of Aspergillus parasiticus Spores ,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2016, pp. 1–10, 2016.