- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 632698, 9 pages
Antifungal Activity of Chitosan Nanoparticles and Correlation with Their Physical Properties
1Drug Delivery and Novel Targeting Research Group, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur Campus, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Novel Antibiotic Research Group, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur Campus, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 8 February 2012; Revised 11 May 2012; Accepted 11 May 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas J. Webster
Copyright © 2012 Ling Yien Ing et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Phaechamud, “Hydrophobically modified chitosans and their pharmaceutical applications,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, vol. 1, pp. 2–9, 2008.
- R. Jayakumar, K. P. Chennazhi, R. A. A. Muzzarelli, H. Tamura, S. V. Nair, and N. Selvamurugan, “Chitosan conjugated DNA nanoparticles in gene therapy,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- A. M. De Campos, A. Sánchez, and M. J. Alonso, “Chitosan nanoparticles: a new vehicle for the improvement of the delivery of drugs to the ocular surface. Application to cyclosporin A,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 224, no. 1-2, pp. 159–168, 2001.
- M. G. Guerra-Sánchez, J. Vega-Pérez, M. G. Velázquez-del Valle, and A. N. Hernández-Lauzardo, “Antifungal activity and release of compounds on Rhizopus stolonifer (Ehrenb.:Fr.) Vuill. by effect of chitosan with different molecular weights,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 18–22, 2009.
- Z. Zhong, R. Chen, R. Xing et al., “Synthesis and antifungal properties of sulfanilamide derivatives of chitosan,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 342, no. 16, pp. 2390–2395, 2007.
- K. Ziani, I. Fernández-Pan, M. Royo, and J. I. Mate, “Antifungal activity of films and solutions based on chitosan against typical seed fungi,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 2309–2314, 2009.
- A. A. Tayel, S. Moussa, W. F. El-Tras, D. Knittel, K. Opwis, and E. Schollmeyer, “Anticandidal action of fungal chitosan against Candida albicans,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 454–457, 2010.
- V. E. Tikhonov, E. A. Stepnova, V. G. Babak et al., “Bactericidal and antifungal activities of a low molecular weight chitosan and its N-/2(3)-(dodec-2-enyl)succinoyl/-derivatives,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 66–72, 2006.
- F. Seyfarth, S. Schliemann, P. Elsner, and U. C. Hipler, “Antifungal effect of high- and low-molecular-weight chitosan hydrochloride, carboxymethyl chitosan, chitosan oligosaccharide and N-acetyl-d-glucosamine against Candida albicans, Candida krusei and Candida glabrata,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 353, no. 1-2, pp. 139–148, 2008.
- Z. Guo, R. Chen, R. Xing et al., “Novel derivatives of chitosan and their antifungal activities in vitro,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 341, no. 3, pp. 351–354, 2006.
- J. García-Rincón, J. Vega-Pérez, M. G. Guerra-Sánchez, A. N. Hernández-Lauzardo, A. Peña-Díaz, and M. G. Velázquez-Del Valle, “Effect of chitosan on growth and plasma membrane properties of Rhizopus stolonifer (Ehrenb.:Fr.) Vuill,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 275–278, 2010.
- H. Liu, Y. Du, X. Wang, and L. Sun, “Chitosan kills bacteria through cell membrane damage,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 147–155, 2004.
- S. Roller and N. Covill, “The antifungal properties of chitosan in laboratory media and apple juice,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 1-2, pp. 67–77, 1999.
- M. Kong, X. G. Chen, K. Xing, and H. J. Park, “Antimicrobial properties of chitosan and mode of action: a state of the art review,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 51–63, 2010.
- P. Calvo, C. Remuñán-López, J. L. Vila-Jato, and M. J. Alonso, “Novel hydrophilic chitosan-polyethylene oxide nanoparticles as protein carriers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 1997.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Reference Method for Broth Dilution Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Filamentous Fungi, vol. 28 of no. 16, 2nd edition, 2008.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Reference Method for Broth Dilution Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Yeasts, vol. 28 of no. 14, 3rd edition, 2008.
- J. Ling, K. W. Chan, K. L. E. Ling, and G. L. French, “BASIC programs to analyse minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) antimicrobial susceptibility results,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 97–99, 1988.
- Y. Chen, V. J. Mohanraj, F. Wang, and H. A. E. Benson, “Designing chitosan-dextran sulfate nanoparticles using charge ratios,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 8, no. 4, article 98, 2007.
- Q. Gan, T. Wang, C. Cochrane, and P. McCarron, “Modulation of surface charge, particle size and morphological properties of chitosan-TPP nanoparticles intended for gene delivery,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 44, no. 2-3, pp. 65–73, 2005.
- H. Katas and H. O. Alpar, “Development and characterisation of chitosan nanoparticles for siRNA delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 216–225, 2006.
- V. Dehousse, N. Garbacki, S. Jaspart et al., “Comparison of chitosan/siRNA and trimethylchitosan/siRNA complexes behaviour in vitro,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 342–349, 2010.
- V. J. Mohanraj and Y. Chen, “Nanoparticles-a review,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 5, pp. 561–573, 2006.
- L. C. Chen, S. K. Kung, H. H. Chen, and S. B. Lin, “Evaluation of zeta potential difference as an indicator for antibacterial strength of low molecular weight chitosan,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 913–919, 2010.
- W. Boonyo, H. E. Junginger, N. Waranuch, A. Polnok, and T. Pitaksuteepong, “Preparation and characterization of particles from chitosan with different molecular weights and their trimethyl chitosan derivatives for nasal immunization,” Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals, vol. 18, pp. 59–65, 2008.
- K. Wilson and J. Walker, “Centrifugation techniques,” in Principles and Techniques of Practical Biochemistry, pp. 263–311, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 5th edition, 2000.
- C. Seebacher and B. H. Renate, Mykosen: Epidemiologie, Diagnostik, Therapie, vol. 1, Gustav-Fischer, Jena, Germany, 1990.
- P. Godoy, F. Nunes, V. Silva, J. Tomimori-Yamashita, L. Zaror, and O. Fischman, “Onychomycosis caused by Fusarium solani and Fusarium oxysporum in São Paulo, Brazil,” Mycopathologia, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 287–290, 2004.
- I. Sebti, A. Martial-Gros, A. Carnet-Pantiez, S. Grelier, and V. Coma, “Chitosan polymer as bioactive coating and film against Aspergillus niger contamination,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. M100–M104, 2005.
- L. Qi, Z. Xu, X. Jiang, C. Hu, and X. Zou, “Preparation and antibacterial activity of chitosan nanoparticles,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 339, no. 16, pp. 2693–2700, 2004.
- T. Singh, D. Vesentini, A. P. Singh, and G. Daniel, “Effect of chitosan on physiological, morphological, and ultrastructural characteristics of wood-degrading fungi,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 116–124, 2008.
- Z. Ma and L. Y. Lim, “Uptake of chitosan and associated insulin in Caco-2 cell monolayers: a comparison between chitosan molecules and chitosan nanoparticles,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1812–1819, 2003.
- Y. J. Jeon, P. J. Park, and S. K. Kim, “Antimicrobial effect of chitooligosaccharides produced by bioreactor,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 71–76, 2001.
- H. K. No, N. Young Park, S. Ho Lee, and S. P. Meyers, “Antibacterial activity of chitosans and chitosan oligomers with different molecular weights,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 65–72, 2002.
- C. Qin, H. Li, Q. Xiao, Y. Liu, J. Zhu, and Y. Du, “Water-solubility of chitosan and its antimicrobial activity,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 367–374, 2006.
- A. Balicka-Ramisz, A. Wojtasz-Pajak, B. Pilarczyk, A. Ramisz, and L. Laurans, “Antibacterial and Antifungal Activity of Chitosan,” in Proceedings of the 12th ISAH Congress on Animal Hygiene, vol. 2, pp. 406–408, 2005.
- F. Martinez-Gutierrez, P. L. Olive, A. Banuelos et al., “Synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of antimicrobial and cytotoxic effect of silver and titanium nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 681–688, 2010.
- D. Sharma, J. Rajput, B. S. Kaith, M. Kaur, and S. Sharma, “Synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles and study of their antibacterial and antifungal properties,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 519, no. 3, pp. 1224–1229, 2010.
- O. Wiarachai, N. Thongchul, S. Kiatkamjornwong, and V. P. Hoven, “Surface-quaternized chitosan particles as an alternative and effective organic antibacterial material,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 92, pp. 121–129, 2012.
- N. Vallapa, O. Wiarachai, N. Thongchul et al., “Enhancing antibacterial activity of chitosan surface by heterogeneous quaternization,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 868–875, 2011.
- B. Prapagdee, K. Kotchadat, A. Kumsopa, and N. Visarathanonth, “The role of chitosan in protection of soybean from sudden death syndrome caused by Fusarium solani f. sp. glycines,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1353–1358, 2007.
- D. F. Kendra and L. A. Hadwiger, “Characterization of the smallest chitosan oligomer that is maximally antifungal to Fusarium solani and elicits pisatin formation in Pisum sativum,” Experimental Mycology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 276–281, 1984.
- M. Eweis, S. S. Elkholy, and M. Z. Elsabee, “Antifungal efficacy of chitosan and its thiourea derivatives upon the growth of some sugar-beet pathogens,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2006.
- C. R. Allan and L. A. Hadwiger, “The fungicidal effect of chitosan on fungi of varying cell wall composition,” Experimental Mycology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 285–287, 1979.
- F. M. Klis, A. F. J. Ram, and P. W. J. De Groot, “A molecular and genomic view of the fungal cell wall,” in Biology of the Fungal Cell, R. J. Howard and N. A. R. Gow, Eds., pp. 97–112, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.