- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 854539, 8 pages
Deformation Behavior of Human Dentin under Uniaxial Compression
1Ural State University, Lenin Avenue 51, Ekaterinburg 620000, Russia
2Ural State Medical Academy, Repin Street 3, Ekaterinburg, 620219, Russia
Received 8 July 2011; Accepted 17 October 2011
Academic Editor: Sanjukta Deb
Copyright © 2012 Dmitry Zaytsev et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. E. Waters, “Some mechanical and physical properties of teeth,” Symposia of the Society for Experimental Biology, vol. 34, pp. 99–135, 1980.
- L. H. He and M. V. Swain, “Understanding the mechanical behaviour of human enamel from its structural and compositional characteristics,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 18–29, 2008.
- R. G. Graig and F. A. Peyton, “Elastic and mechanical properties of human dentin,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 710–718, 1958.
- J. W. Stanford, K. V. Weigel, G. C. Paffenberger, and W. T. Sweeney, “Compressive properties of hard tooth tissues and some restorative materials,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 57, pp. 487–495, 1958.
- J. H. Kinney, M. Balooch, S. J. Marshall, and G. W. Marshall, “A micromechanics model of the elastic properties of human dentine,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 813–822, 1999.
- S. Bechtle, T. Fett, G. Rizzi, S. Habelitz, A. Klocke, and G. A. Schneider, “Crack arrest within teeth at the dentinoenamel junction caused by elastic modulus mismatch,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 4238–4247, 2010.
- J. J. Kruzic, R. K. Nalla, J. H. Kinney, and R. O. Ritchie, “Mechanistic aspects of in vitro fatigue-crack growth in dentin,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1195–1204, 2005.
- R. L. Lyles and H. G. F. Wilsdorf, “Microcrack nucleation and fracture in silver crystals,” Acta Metallurgica, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 269–277, 1975.
- I. M. Robertson and H. K. Birnbaum, “An HVEM study of hydrogen effects on the deformation and fracture of nickel,” Acta Metallurgica, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 353–366, 1986.
- E. Riande, R. Diaz-Calleja, M. G. Prolongo, R. M. Masegosa, and C. Saldm, Polymer Viscoelasticity: Stress and Strain in Practice, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- J. A. Brydson, Plastics Materials, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK, 7th edition, 1999.
- J. H. Kinney, S. J. Marshall, and G. W. Marshall, “The mechanical properties of human dentin: a critical review and re-evaluation of the dental literature,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 13–29, 2003.
- F. A. Peyton, D. B. Mahler, and B. Hershanov, “Physical properties of dentin,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 366–370, 1952.
- D. C. Watts, O. M. El Mowafy, and A. A. Grant, “Temperature-dependence of compressive properties of human dentin,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 1987.
- D. Arola, J. Reid, M. E. Cox, D. Bajaj, N. Sundaram, and E. Romberg, “Transition behavior in fatigue of human dentin: structure and anisotropy,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 26, pp. 3867–3875, 2007.
- R. K. Nalla, J. H. Kinney, and R. O. Ritchie, “Effect of orientation on the in vitro fracture toughness of dentin: the role of toughening mechanisms,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 22, pp. 3955–3968, 2003.
- J. Betten, Creep Mechanics, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2nd edition, 2005.
- I. M. Low, N. Duraman, J. Fulton, N. Tezuka, and J. Davies, “A comparative study of the microstructure-property relationship in human adult and baby teeth,” Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 145–152, 2005.
- J. W. Stanford, K. V. Weigel, G. C. Paffenberger, and W. T. Sweeney, “Compressive properties of hard tooth tissues and some restorative materials,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 60, pp. 746–751, 1960.
- J. H. Kinney, J. Oliveira, D. L. Haupt, G. W. Marshall, and S. J. Marshall, “The spatial arrangement of tubules in human dentin,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 743–751, 2001.
- J. H. Kinney, J. R. Gladden, G. W. Marshall, S. J. Marshall, J. H. So, and J. D. Maynard, “Resonant ultrasound spectroscopy measurements of the elastic constants of human dentin,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 437–441, 2004.