- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 146320, 9 pages
Development of Chitosan Nanoparticles as a Stable Drug Delivery System for Protein/siRNA
Centre for Drug Delivery Research, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 2 May 2013; Revised 29 August 2013; Accepted 29 August 2013
Academic Editor: Traian V. Chirila
Copyright © 2013 Haliza Katas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Bowman and K. W. Leong, “Chitosan nanoparticles for oral drug and gene delivery,” International journal of nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 117–128, 2006.
- M. Terbojevich, A. Cosani, and R. A. A. Muzzarelli, “Molecular parameters of chitosans depolymerized with the aid of papain,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 1996.
- H. Devalapally, A. Chakilam, and M. M. Amiji, “Role of nanotechnology in pharmaceutical product development,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 2547–2565, 2007.
- R. Singh and J. W. Lillard, “Nanoparticle-based targeted drug delivery,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 215–223, 2009.
- S. C. W. Richardson, H. V. J. Kolbe, and R. Duncan, “Potential of low molecular mass chitosan as a DNA delivery system: biocompatibility, body distribution and ability to complex and protect DNA,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 231–243, 1999.
- Z. H. Liu, Y. P. Jia, Y. F. Wang, C. R. Zhou, and Z. Y. Zhang, “Polysaccharides-based nanoparticles as drug delivery systems,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 15, pp. 1650–1662, 2008.
- V. Dodane and V. D. Vilivalam, “Pharmaceutical applications of chitosan,” Pharmaceutical Science and Technology Today, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 246–253, 1998.
- K. Kurita, “Chitin and chitosan: functional biopolymers from marine crustaceans,” Journal of Marine Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 203–226, 2005.
- F. Chellat, A. Grandjean-Laquerriere, R. Le Naour et al., “Metalloproteinase and cytokine production by THP-1 macrophages following exposure to chitosan-DNA nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 961–970, 2005.
- J. L. Zhang, J. N. Liu, L. Li, and W. H. Xia, “Dietary chitosan improves hypercholesterolemia in rats fed high-fat diets,” Nutrition Research, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 383–390, 2008.
- K. V. Harish Prashanth and R. N. Tharanathan, “Chitin/chitosan: modifications and their unlimited application potential—an overview,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 117–131, 2007.
- A. Berthold, K. Cremer, and J. Kreuter, “Preparation,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 1996.
- W. Tiyaboonchai, J. Woiszwillo, R. C. Sims, and C. R. Middaugh, “Insulin containing polyethylenimine-dextran sulfate nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 255, no. 1-2, pp. 139–151, 2003.
- K. A. Janes, P. Calvo, and M. J. Alonso, “Polysaccharide colloidal particles as delivery systems for macromolecules,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 83–97, 2001.
- T. Delair, “Colloidal polyelectrolyte complexes of chitosan and dextran sulfate towards versatile nanocarriers of bioactive molecules,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 10–18, 2011.
- T. López-León, E. L. S. Carvalho, B. Seijo, J. L. Ortega-Vinuesa, and D. Bastos-González, “Physicochemical characterization of chitosan nanoparticles: electrokinetic and stability behavior,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. 344–351, 2005.
- P. Calvo, C. Remunan, J. J. L. Vila, and M. J. Alonso, “Chitosan and chitosan/ethylene oxide-propylene oxide block copolymer nanoparticles as novel carriers for proteins and vaccines,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1431–1436, 1997.
- J. Qi, P. Yaoa, P. Heb, C. Yub, and C. Huang, “Nanoparticles with dextran/chitosan shell and BSA/chitosan core—doxorubicin loading and delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 393, no. 1-2, pp. 177–185, 2010.
- Q. Gan and T. Wang, “Chitosan nanoparticle as protein delivery carrier—systematic examination of fabrication conditions for efficient loading and release,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2007.
- Y. Chen, V. J. Mohanraj, and J. E. Parkin, “Chitosan-dextran sulfate nanoparticles for delivery of an anti-angiogenesis peptide,” Letters in Peptide Science, vol. 10, no. 5-6, pp. 621–629, 2003.
- Y. Chen, V. J. Mohanraj, F. Wang, and H. A. E. Benson, “Designing chitosan-dextran sulfate nanoparticles using charge ratios,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 131–139, 2007.
- H. Katas and H. O. Alpar, “Development and characterisation of chitosan nanoparticles for siRNA delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 216–225, 2006.
- S. M. Moghimi, “Mechanisms of splenic clearance of blood cells and particles: towards development of new splenotropic agents,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 103–115, 1995.
- G. Storm, S. O. Belliot, T. Daemen, and D. D. Lasic, “Surface modification of nanoparticles to oppose uptake by the mononuclear phagocyte system,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 31–48, 1995.
- A. Hirano, T. Kawanami, and J. F. Llena, “Electron microscopy of the blood-brain barrier in disease,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 543–556, 1994.
- S. K. Hobbs, W. L. Monsky, F. Yuan et al., “Regulation of transport pathways in tumor vessels: role of tumor type and microenvironment,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 4607–4612, 1998.
- S. Gao, J. Chen, L. Dong, Z. Ding, Y. Yang, and J. Zhang, “Targeting delivery of oligonucleotide and plasmid DNA to hepatocyte via galactosylated chitosan vector,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 327–334, 2005.
- X. G. Zhang, D. Y. Teng, Z. M. Wu et al., “PEG-grafted chitosan nanoparticles as an injectable carrier for sustained protein release,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 3525–3533, 2008.
- X. G. Zhang, H. J. Zhang, Z. M. Wu, Z. Wang, H. M. Niu, and C. X. Li, “Nasal absorption enhancement of insulin using PEG-grafted chitosan nanoparticles,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 526–534, 2008.