- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 230310, 6 pages
The Effect of Simplifying Dental Implant Drilling Sequence on Osseointegration: An Experimental Study in Dogs
1Department of Biomaterials and Biomimetics, New York University, 345E 24th Street, Room 813A, New York, NY 10010, USA
2Postgraduate Program in Dentistry, School of Health Sciences, UNIGRANRIO University, Rua Professor José de Souza Herdy, 1.160-25 de Agosto, 25071-202 Duque de Caxias, RJ, Brazil
3Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Odontology, Malmö University, Smedjegatan 16, 214 2 Malmö, Sweden
4Department of Operative Dentistry and Prosthodontics, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, One Kneeland Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
5Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY 10010, USA
6Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, New York University College of Dentistry, 345E 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, USA
Received 9 October 2012; Accepted 15 December 2012
Academic Editor: Carlos Nelson Elias
Copyright © 2013 Gabriela Giro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Esposito, J. M. Hirsch, U. Lekholm, and P. Thomsen, “Biological factors contributing to failures of osseointegrated oral implants. (I). Success criteria and epidemiology,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 527–551, 1998.
- P. I. Brånemark, R. Adell, U. Breine, B. O. Hansson, J. Lindström, and A. Ohlsson, “Intra-osseous anchorage of dental prostheses. I. Experimental studies,” Scandinavian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 81–100, 1969.
- T. Albrektsson, J. Brunski, and A. Wennerberg, “‘A requiem for the periodontal ligament’ revisited,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 120–122, 2009.
- M. Esposito, J. M. Hirsch, U. Lekholm, and P. Thomsen, “Biological factors contributing to failures of osseointegrated oral implants: (II). Etiopathogenesis,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 721–764, 1998.
- T. Albrektsson, P. I. Branemark, H. A. Hansson, and J. Lindstrom, “Osseointegrated titanium implants. Requirements for ensuring a long-lasting, direct bone-to-implant anchorage in man,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 155–170, 1981.
- S. Iyer, C. Weiss, and A. Mehta, “Effects of drill speed on heat production and the rate and quality of bone formation in dental implant osteotomies. Part I: relationship between drill speed and heat production,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 411–414, 1997.
- G. Augustin, S. Davila, K. Mihoci, T. Udiljak, D. S. Vedrina, and A. Antabak, “Thermal osteonecrosis and bone drilling parameters revisited,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 2008.
- Y. Reingewirtz, S. Szmukler-Moncler, and B. Senger, “Influence of different parameters on bone heating and drilling time in implantology,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 189–197, 1997.
- M. Sharawy, C. E. Misch, N. Weller, and S. Tehemar, “Heat generation during implant drilling: the significance of motor speed,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1160–1169, 2002.
- S. J. Kim, J. Yoo, Y. S. Kim, and S. W. Shin, “Temperature change in pig rib bone during implant site preparation by low-speed drilling,” Journal of Applied Oral Science, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 522–527, 2010.
- G. E. Chacon, D. L. Bower, P. E. Larsen, E. A. McGlumphy, and F. M. Beck, “Heat production by 3 implant drill systems after repeated drilling and sterilization,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 265–269, 2006.
- M. Sumer, A. F. Misir, N. T. Telcioglu, A. U. Guler, and M. Yenisey, “Comparison of heat generation during implant drilling using stainless steel and ceramic drills,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 1350–1354, 2011.
- H. J. Oh, U. M. Wikesjö, H. S. Kang, Y. Ku, T. G. Eom, and K. T. Koo, “Effect of implant drill characteristics on heat generation in osteotomy sites: a pilot study,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 722–726, 2011.
- A. Scarano, A. Piattelli, B. Assenza et al., “Infrared thermographic evaluation of temperature modifications induced during implant site preparation with cylindrical versus conical drills,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 319–323, 2011.
- A. C. Carvalho, T. P. Queiroz, R. Okamoto, R. Margonar, I. R. Garcia Jr., and O. M. Filho, “Evaluation of bone heating, immediate bone cell viability, and wear of high-resistance drills after the creation of implant osteotomies in rabbit tibias,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1193–1201, 2011.
- I. C. Benington, P. A. Biagioni, J. Briggs, S. Sheridan, and P. J. Lamey, “Thermal changes observed at implant sites during internal and external irrigation,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 293–297, 2002.
- D. Flanagan, “Osteotomy irrigation: is it necessary?” Implant Dentistry, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 241–249, 2010.
- A. Rashad, A. Kaiser, N. Prochnow, I. Schmitz, E. Hoffmann, and P. Maurer, “Heat production during different ultrasonic and conventional osteotomy preparations for dental implants,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1361–1365, 2011.
- G. Giro, C. Marin, R. Granato et al., “Effect of drilling technique on the early integration of plateau root form endosteal implants: an experimental study in dogs,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 2158–2163, 2011.
- C. Marin, R. Granato, M. Suzuki et al., “Biomechanical and histomorphometric analysis of etched and non-etched resorbable blasting media processed implant surfaces: an experimental study in dogs,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 382–391, 2010.
- G. Leonard, P. Coelho, I. Polyzois, L. Stassen, and N. Claffey, “A study of the bone healing kinetics of plateau versus screw root design titanium dental implants,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 232–239, 2009.
- G. Augustin, S. Davila, T. Udilljak, T. Staroveski, D. Brezak, and S. Babic, “Temperature changes during cortical bone drilling with a newly designed step drill and an internally cooled drill,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1449–1456, 2012.
- G. M. Reiser and M. Nevins, “The implant periapical lesion: etiology, prevention, and treatment,” Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 768–772, 1995.
- K. Yoshida, K. Uoshima, K. Oda, and T. Maeda, “Influence of heat stress to matrix on bone formation,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 782–790, 2009.