- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 240631, 7 pages
Blends of Thermoplastic Polyurethane and Polydimethylsiloxane Rubber: Assessment of Biocompatibility and Suture Holding Strength of Membranes
1Department of Chemical Engineering Technology, Yanbu Industrial College, Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu, P.O. Box 30436, Yanbu Industrial City 21 477, Saudi Arabia
2Biomedical Technology Wing, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Poojapura, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695 012, India
3Rubber Technology Centre, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721302, India
Received 14 June 2013; Accepted 12 November 2013
Academic Editor: Bikramjit Basu
Copyright © 2013 Krishna Prasad Rajan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Bergeron, S. Lévesque, and R. Guidoin, “Biomedical applications of polyurethanes,” in Biomedical Applications of Polyurethanes, P. Vermette, J. H. Griesser, G. Laroche, and R. Guidoin, Eds., pp. 220–251, 2001.
- N. M. K. Lamba, K. A. Woodhouse, S. L. Cooper, and M. D. Lelah, Polyurethanes in Biomedical Applications, CRC, 1998.
- M. D. Lelah and S. L. Cooper, Polyurethanes in Medicine, CRC Press, 1986.
- P. Vermette, H. J. Griesser, G. Laroche, and R. Guidoin, Biomedical Applications of Polyurethanes, Landes Bioscience, 2001.
- F. Abbasi, H. Mirzadeh, and A.-A. Katbab, “Modification of polysiloxane polymers for biomedical applications: a review,” Polymer International, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1279–1287, 2001.
- R. van Noort and M. Black, “Silicone rubbers for medical applications,” in Biocompatibility of Clinical Implant Materials, D. F. Williams, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 79–798, CRC Press, 1981.
- P. K. B. Davis and S. M. Jones, “The complications of silastic implants. Experience with 137 consecutive cases,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 24, pp. 405–411, 1971.
- K. P. Rajan, A. Al-Ghamdi, P. Ramesh, and G. B. Nando, “Blends of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) and polydimethyl siloxane rubber (PDMS), part I: assessment of compatibility from torque rheometry and mechanical properties,” Journal of Polymer Research, vol. 19, no. 5, article 9872, 2012.
- K. Matsumoto, T. Nakamura, S. Fukuda, T. Sekine, H. Ueda, and Y. Shimizu, “A Gelatin coated collagen-polyglycolic acid composite membrane as a dural substitute,” ASAIO Journal, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 641–645, 2001.
- L. Hench and E. Ethridge, Biomaterials: An Interfacial Approach, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- A. Salerno, D. Guarnieri, M. Iannone, S. Zeppetelli, and P. A. Netti, “Effect of micro-and macroporosity of bone tissue three-dimensional- poly(ε-caprolactone) scaffold on human mesenchymal stem cells invasion, proliferation, and differentiation in vitro,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 2661–2673, 2010.
- W. Zheng, W. Zhang, and X. Jiang, “Precise control of cell adhesion by combination of surface chemistry and soft lithography,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 95–108, 2013.
- K. Miyamoto, T. Sugimoto, M. Okada, and S. Maeda, “Usefulness of polyurethane for small-caliber vascular prostheses in comparison with autologous vein graft,” Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 113–116, 2002.
- C. Chandavasu, M. Xanthos, K. K. Sirkar, and C. G. Gogos, “Preparation of microporous films from immiscible blends via melt processing,” Journal of Plastic Film and Sheeting, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 288–300, 2000.
- C. Chandavasu, M. Xanthos, K. K. Sirkar, and C. G. Gogos, “Fabrication of microporous polymeric membranes by melt processing of immiscible blends,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 167–175, 2003.
- M. Xanthos, C. Chandavasu, K. K. Sirkar, and C. G. Gogos, “Melt processed microporous films from compatibilized immiscible blends with potential as membranes,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 810–825, 2002.
- C. T. Hanks, J. C. Wataha, and Z. Sun, “In vitro models of biocompatibility: a review,” Dental Materials, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 186–193, 1996.
- B.-S. Kim, I.-K. Park, T. Hoshiba et al., “Design of artificial extracellular matrices for tissue engineering,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 238–268, 2011.