- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 252531, 13 pages
Systemic siRNA Delivery via Peptide-Tagged Polymeric Nanoparticles, Targeting PLK1 Gene in a Mouse Xenograft Model of Colorectal Cancer
1Biomedical Technology and Cell Therapy Research Laboratory, Departments of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, 3775 University Street, Room 311, Lyman Duff Medical Building, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2B4
2Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, 3775 University Street, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2B2
Received 17 June 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Chwee Teck Lim
Copyright © 2013 Meenakshi Malhotra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Anand, A. B. Kunnumakkara, C. Sundaram et al., “Cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2097–2116, 2008.
- A. G. Knudson, “Two genetic hits (more or less) to cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2001.
- D. Sargent, A. Sobrero, A. Grothey et al., “Evidence for cure by adjuvant therapy in colon cancer: observations based on individual patient data from 20,898 patients on 18 randomized trials,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 872–877, 2009.
- S. Mosolits, B. Nilsson, and H. Mellstedt, “Towards therapeutic vaccines for colorectal carcinoma: a review of clinical trials,” Expert Review of Vaccines, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 329–350, 2005.
- G. Wang and R. K. Kelley, “GAPPNet. KRAS mutational analysis for colorectal cancer application: pharmacogenomic,” PLOS Currents, vol. 2, Article ID RRN1175, 2010.
- F. Eckerdt, J. Yuan, and K. Strebhardt, “Polo-like kinases and oncogenesis,” Oncogene, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 267–276, 2005.
- N. Takai, R. Hamanaka, J. Yoshimatsu, and I. Miyakawa, “Polo-like kinases (Plks) and cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 287–291, 2005.
- K. Ando, T. Ozaki, H. Yamamoto et al., “Polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1) inhibits p53 function by physical interaction and phosphorylation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 24, pp. 25549–25561, 2004.
- B. Spänkuch-Schmitt, J. Bereiter-Hahn, M. Kaufmann, and K. Strebhardt, “Effect of RNA silencing of polo-like kinase-1 (PLK1) on apoptosis and spindle formation in human cancer cells,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 24, pp. 1863–1877, 2002.
- X. Liu and R. L. Erikson, “Polo-like kinase (Plk)1 depletion induces apoptosis in cancer cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 5789–5794, 2003.
- X. Liu, M. Lei, and R. L. Erikson, “Normal cells, but not cancer cells, survive severe Plk1 depletion,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 2093–2108, 2006.
- R. Guan, P. Tapang, J. D. Leverson, D. Albert, V. L. Giranda, and Y. Luo, “Small interfering RNA-mediated polo-like kinase 1 depletion preferentially reduces the survival of p53-defective, oncogenic transformed cells and inhibits tumor growth in animals,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 2698–2704, 2005.
- H. A. Lane and E. A. Nigg, “Antibody microinjection reveals an essential role for human polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1) in the functional maturation of mitotic centrosomes,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 1701–1713, 1996.
- J. P. Cogswell, C. E. Brown, J. E. Bisi, and S. D. Neill, “Dominant-negative polo-like kinase 1 induces mitotic catastrophe independent of cdc25C function,” Cell Growth and Differentiation, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 615–623, 2000.
- R. Nahta and F. J. Esteva, “Herceptin: mechanisms of action and resistance,” Cancer Letters, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 123–138, 2006.
- G. Valabrega, F. Montemurro, and M. Aglietta, “Trastuzumab: mechanism of action, resistance and future perspectives in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 977–984, 2007.
- P. Chopra, G. Sethi, S. G. Dastidar, and A. Ray, “Polo-like kinase inhibitors: an emerging opportunity for cancer therapeutics,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 27–43, 2010.
- Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation, “Dose Escalation Study to Determine Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacodynamics of Intravenous TKM-080301,” Identifier: NCT01262235, http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/.
- S. H. Chen and G. Zhaori, “Potential clinical applications of siRNA technique: benefits and limitations,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 221–232, 2011.
- K. Kiefer, J. Clement, P. Garidel, and R. Peschka-Süss, “Transfection efficiency and cytotoxicity of nonviral gene transfer reagents in human smooth muscle and endothelial cells,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1009–1017, 2004.
- J. W. Yoo, S. W. Hong, S. Kim, and D. Lee, “Inflammatory cytokine induction by siRNAs is cell type- and transfection reagent-specific,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 347, no. 4, pp. 1053–1058, 2006.
- “Mirus-The Transfection Experts,” 2011.
- “Polyplus-The Delivery Experts,” 2011.
- “Turbofect In-Vivo Transfection Reagent-Fermentas,” 2011.
- Sigma Aldrich, “N-TER Nanoparticle siRNA Transfection System,” 2011.
- S. E. McNeil, “Nanotechnology for the biologist,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 585–594, 2005.
- A. Aigner, “Delivery systems for the direct application of siRNAs to induce RNA interference (RNAi) in vivo,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2006, Article ID 71659, 15 pages, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, J. Chen, Y. Zhang et al., “Panning and identification of a colon tumor binding peptide from a phage display peptide library,” Journal of Biomolecular Screening, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 429–435, 2007.
- M. Malhotra, C. Tomaro-Duchesneau, and S. Prakash, “Synthesis of TAT peptide-tagged PEGylated chitosan nanoparticles for siRNA delivery targeting neurodegenerative diseases,” Biomaterials, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1270–1280, 2013.
- M. Malhotra, A. Kulamarva, S. Sebak et al., “Ultrafine chitosan nanoparticles as an efficient nucleic acid delivery system targeting neuronal cells ultrafine nanoparticles siRNA delivery system,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 719–726, 2009.
- S. Prakash, M. Malhotra, W. Shao, C. Tomaro-Duchesneau, and S. Abbasi, “Polymeric nanohybrids and functionalized carbon nanotubes as drug delivery carriers for cancer therapy,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 63, no. 14-15, pp. 1340–1351, 2011.
- B. Haley and E. Frenkel, “Nanoparticles for drug delivery in cancer treatment,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 2008.
- Y. W. Cho, J. Kim, and K. Park, “Polycation gene delivery systems: escape from endosomes to cytosol,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 721–734, 2003.
- X. Liu, K. A. Howard, M. Dong et al., “The influence of polymeric properties on chitosan/siRNA nanoparticle formulation and gene silencing,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1280–1288, 2007.
- Y. H. Bae and K. Park, “Targeted drug delivery to tumors: myths, reality and possibility,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 198–205, 2011.
- A. Z. Wang, R. Langer, and O. C. Farokhzad, “Nanoparticle delivery of cancer drugs,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 63, pp. 185–198, 2012.
- L. Huang and S. Guo, “Nanoparticles escaping RES and endosome: challenges for siRNA delivery for cancer therapy,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2011, Article ID 742895, 12 pages, 2011.
- L. A. Tobin, Y. Xie, M. Tsokos et al., “Pegylated siRNA-loaded calcium phosphate nanoparticle-driven amplification of cancer cell internalization in-vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 2980–2990, 2013.
- K. Y. Choi, K. H. Min, H. Y. Yoon et al., “PEGylation of hyaluronic acid nanoparticles improves tumor targetability in vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1880–1889, 2011.
- R. Gref, M. Lück, P. Quellec et al., “‘Stealth’ corona-core nanoparticles surface modified by polyethylene glycol (PEG): influences of the corona (PEG chain length and surface density) and of the core composition on phagocytic uptake and plasma protein adsorption,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 18, no. 3-4, pp. 301–313, 2000.
- S. Hak, E. Helgesen, H. H. Hektoen, et al., “The effect of nanoparticle polyethylene glycol surface density on ligand-directed tumor targeting studied in-vivo by dual modality imaging,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 5648–5658, 2012.
- M. Malhotra, C. Tomaro-Duchesneau, S. Saha, and S. Prakash, “Development and characterization of chitosan-PEG-TAT nanoparticles for the intracellular delivery of siRNA,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 8, pp. 2041–2052, 2013.
- T. Ishida and H. Kiwada, “Accelerated blood clearance (ABC) phenomenon upon repeated injection of PEGylated liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 354, no. 1-2, pp. 56–62, 2008.
- T. Ishihara, T. Maeda, H. Sakamoto et al., “Evasion of the accelerated blood clearance phenomenon by coating of nanoparticles with various hydrophilic polymers,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2700–2706, 2010.
- M. R. Sherman, L. D. Williams, M. A. Sobczyk, S. J. Michaels, and M. G. P. Saifer, “Role of the methoxy group in immune responses to mpeg-protein conjugates,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 485–499, 2012.
- B. Spänkuch, I. Steinhauser, H. Wartlick, E. Kurunci-Csacsko, K. I. Strebhardt, and K. Langer, “Downregulation of Plk1 expression by receptor-mediated uptake of antisense oligonucleotide-loaded nanoparticles,” Neoplasia, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 223–234, 2008.
- I. Steinhauser, K. Langer, K. Strebhardt, and B. Spänkuch, “Uptake of plasmid-loaded nanoparticles in breast cancer cells and effect on Plk1 expression,” Journal of Drug Targeting, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 627–637, 2009.
- S. Dharmapuri, D. Peruzzi, E. Marra et al., “Intratumor RNA interference of cell cycle genes slows down tumor progression,” Gene Therapy, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 727–733, 2011.
- M. M. Schmidt and K. D. Wittrup, “A modeling analysis of the effects of molecular size and binding affinity on tumor targeting,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 2861–2871, 2009.
- C. H. J. Choi, C. A. Alabi, P. Webster, and M. E. Davis, “Mechanism of active targeting in solid tumors with transferrin-containing gold nanoparticles,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 1235–1240, 2010.
- N. Sanvicens and M. P. Marco, “Multifunctional nanoparticles-properties and prospects for their use in human medicine,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 425–433, 2008.
- S. Mishra, P. Webster, and M. Davis, “PEGylation significantly affects cellular uptake and intracellular trafficking of non-viral gene delivery particles,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 97–111, 2004.
- “Tech note: In-vivo RNAi: Biodistribution, Delivery, and Applications,” Thermoscientificbio.
- X. Li, Y. Chen, M. Wang, Y. Ma, W. Xia, and H. Gu, “A mesoporous silica nanoparticle-PEI-fusogenic peptide system for siRNA delivery in cancer therapy,” Biomaterials, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1391–1401, 2013.
- W. J. Kim, J. W. Yockman, J. H. Jeong et al., “Anti-angiogenic inhibition of tumor growth by systemic delivery of PEI-g-PEG-RGD/pCMV-sFlt-1 complexes in tumor-bearing mice,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 381–388, 2006.
- F. Czauderna, M. Fechtner, S. Dames et al., “Structural variations and stabilising modifications of synthetic siRNAs in mammalian cells,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 2705–2716, 2003.
- M. Robbins, A. Judge, L. Liang, K. McClintock, E. Yaworski, and I. MacLachlan, “2′-O-methyl-modified RNAs act as TLR7 antagonists,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1663–1669, 2007.
- M. Malhotra, S. Nambiar, V. Rengaswamy, and S. Prakash, “Small interfering ribonucleic acid design strategies for effective targeting and gene silencing,” Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 269–289, 2011.