- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 396056, 9 pages
The Use of Porous Scaffold as a Tumor Model
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
2Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
3The Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Technology, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
4Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Central Clinical School, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
5Discipline of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney, Richmond, NSW 2751, Australia
6Cancer Pathology, Bosch Institute, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Received 8 April 2013; Revised 12 August 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Bikramjit Basu
Copyright © 2013 Mei Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. W. Hutmacher, D. Loessner, S. Rizzi, D. L. Kaplan, D. J. Mooney, and J. A. Clements, “Can tissue engineering concepts advance tumor biology research?” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 125–133, 2010.
- S. Zhang, “Beyond the Petri dish,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 151–152, 2004.
- M. P. Lutolf, P. M. Gilbert, and H. M. Blau, “Designing materials to direct stem-cell fate,” Nature, vol. 462, no. 7272, pp. 433–441, 2009.
- K. M. Yamada and E. Cukierman, “Modeling tissue morphogenesis and cancer in 3D,” Cell, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 601–610, 2007.
- G. Benton, J. George, H. K. Kleinman, and I. P. Arnaoutova, “Advancing science and technology via 3D culture on basement membrane matrix,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2009.
- D. A. Fletcher and R. D. Mullins, “Cell mechanics and the cytoskeleton,” Nature, vol. 463, no. 7280, pp. 485–492, 2010.
- C. Box, S. J. Rogers, M. Mendiola, and S. A. Eccles, “Tumour-microenvironmental interactions: paths to progression and targets for treatment,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 128–138, 2010.
- J. S. Desgrosellier and D. A. Cheresh, “Integrins in cancer: biological implications and therapeutic opportunities,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 9–22, 2010.
- J. A. Joyce and J. W. Pollard, “Microenvironmental regulation of metastasis,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 239–252, 2009.
- K. Kessenbrock, V. Plaks, and Z. Werb, “Matrix metalloproteinases: regulators of the tumor microenvironment,” Cell, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 52–67, 2010.
- M. B. Meads, R. A. Gatenby, and W. S. Dalton, “Environment-mediated drug resistance: a major contributor to minimal residual disease,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 665–674, 2009.
- I. J. Fidler, “The pathogenesis of cancer metastasis: the “seed and soil” hypothesis revisited,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 453–458, 2003.
- L. Sorokin, “The impact of the extracellular matrix on inflammation,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 712–723, 2010.
- J. Han, H. Chang, O. Giricz et al., “Molecular predictors of 3D morphogenesis by breast cancer cell lines in 3D culture,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e1000684, 2010.
- C. Fischbach, R. Chen, T. Matsumoto et al., “Engineering tumors with 3D scaffolds,” Nature Methods, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 855–860, 2007.
- C. Fischbach, J. K. Hyun, S. X. Hsiong, M. B. Evangelista, W. Yuen, and D. J. Mooney, “Cancer cell angiogenic capability is regulated by 3D culture and integrin engagement,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 399–404, 2009.
- P. A. Kenny and M. J. Bissell, “Tumor reversion: correction of malignant behavior by microenvironmental cues,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 688–695, 2003.
- H. A. Kenny, T. Krausz, S. D. Yamada, and E. Lengyel, “Use of a novel 3D culture model to elucidate the role of mesothelial cells, fibroblasts and extra-cellular matrices on adhesion and invasion of ovarian cancer cells to the omentum,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 1463–1472, 2007.
- Y. Liang, J. Jeong, R. J. DeVolder et al., “A cell-instructive hydrogel to regulate malignancy of 3D tumor spheroids with matrix rigidity,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 35, pp. 9308–9315, 2011.
- D. Loessner, K. S. Stok, M. P. Lutolf, D. W. Hutmacher, J. A. Clements, and S. C. Rizzi, “Bioengineered 3D platform to explore cell-ECM interactions and drug resistance of epithelial ovarian cancer cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 32, pp. 8494–8506, 2010.
- I. Eke and N. Cordes, “Radiobiology goes 3D: how ECM and cell morphology impact on cell survival after irradiation,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 271–278, 2011.
- M. S. Weiss, B. P. Bernabé, A. Shikanov et al., “The impact of adhesion peptides within hydrogels on the phenotype and signaling of normal and cancerous mammary epithelial cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 13, pp. 3548–3559, 2012.
- P. A. Kenny, G. Y. Lee, C. A. Myers et al., “The morphologies of breast cancer cell lines in three-dimensional assays correlate with their profiles of gene expression,” Molecular Oncology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 84–96, 2007.
- R. Rahmanzadeh, P. Rai, J. P. Celli et al., “Ki-67 as a molecular target for therapy in an in vitro three-dimensional model for ovarian cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 22, pp. 9234–9242, 2010.
- I. Rizvi, J. P. Celli, C. L. Evans et al., “Synergistic enhancement of carboplatin efficacy with photodynamic therapy in a three-dimensional model for micrometastatic ovarian cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 22, pp. 9319–9328, 2010.
- I. Eke and N. Cordes, “Dual targeting of EGFR and focal adhesion kinase in 3D grown HNSCC cell cultures,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 2011.
- J. Friedrich, R. Ebner, and L. A. Kunz-Schughart, “Experimental anti-tumor therapy in 3D: spheroids—old hat or new challenge?” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 83, no. 11-12, pp. 849–871, 2007.
- M. D. Martin, B. Fingleton, C. C. Lynch et al., “Establishment and quantitative imaging of a 3D lung organotypic model of mammary tumor outgrowth,” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 877–885, 2008.
- J. L. Horning, S. K. Sahoo, S. Vijayaraghavalu et al., “3D tumor model for in vitro evaluation of anticancer drugs,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 849–862, 2008.
- S.-W. Kang and Y. H. Bae, “Cryopreservable and tumorigenic three-dimensional tumor culture in porous poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) microsphere,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 25, pp. 4227–4232, 2009.
- R. Tasso, A. Augello, M. Carida et al., “Development of sarcomas in mice implanted with mesenchymal stem cells seeded onto bioscaffolds,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 150–157, 2009.
- J. da Silva, F. Lautenschläger, E. Sivaniah, and J. R. Guck, “The cavity-to-cavity migration of leukaemic cells through 3D honey-combed hydrogels with adjustable internal dimension and stiffness,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2201–2208, 2010.
- T. M. Blanco, A. Mantalaris, A. Bismarck, and N. Panoskaltsis, “The development of a three-dimensional scaffold for ex vivo biomimicry of human acute myeloid leukaemia,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2243–2251, 2010.
- J. J. Campbell, N. Davidenko, M. M. Caffarel, R. E. Cameron, and C. J. Watson, “A multifunctional 3D co-culture system for studies of mammary tissue morphogenesis and stem cell biology,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e25661, 2011.
- P. H. S. Tan, K. Z. Aung, S. L. Toh, J. C. H. Goh, and S. S. Nathan, “Three-dimensional porous silk tumor constructs in the approximation of in vivo osteosarcoma physiology,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 26, pp. 6131–6137, 2011.
- J. Choi, K. Kim, T. Kim et al., “Multimodal imaging of sustained drug release from 3D poly(propylene fumarate) (PPF) scaffolds,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 239–245, 2011.
- S. P. Pathi, C. Kowalczewski, R. Tadipatri, and C. Fischbach, “A novel 3D mineralized tumor model to study breast cancer bone metastasis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 1, Article ID e8849, 2010.
- L. Chen, Z. Xiao, Y. Meng et al., “The enhancement of cancer stem cell properties of MCF-7 cells in 3D collagen scaffolds for modeling of cancer and anti-cancer drugs,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1437–1444, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, X. Cai, S.-W. Choi, C. Kim, L. V. Wang, and Y. Xia, “Chronic label-free volumetric photoacoustic microscopy of melanoma cells in three-dimensional porous Scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 33, pp. 8651–8658, 2010.
- Y. Ma, N. S. Bryce, R. M. Whan et al., “Growth of DLD-1 colon cancer cells on Variotis scaffolds of controlled porosity: a preliminary study,” Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials, and Tissue Engineering, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 79–89, 2010.
- T. Yamori, S. Sato, H. Chikazawa, and T. Kadota, “Anti-tumor efficacy of paclitaxel against human lung cancer xenografts,” Japanese Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 1205–1210, 1997.
- M. Zhang, M. Boyer, L. Rivory et al., “Radiosensitization of vinorelbine and gemcitabine in NCI-H460 non-small-cell lung cancer cells,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 353–360, 2004.
- K.-I. Kozaki, K. Koshikawa, Y. Tatematsu et al., “Multi-faceted analyses of a highly metastatic human lung cancer cell line NCI-H460-LNM35 suggest mimicry of inflammatory cells in metastasis,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 31, pp. 4228–4234, 2001.
- D. Yu, S.-S. Wang, K. M. Dulski, C.-M. Tsai, G. L. Nicolson, and M.-C. Hung, “c-erbB-2/neu overexpression enhances metastatic potential of human lung cancer cells by induction of metastasis-associated properties,” Cancer Research, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 3260–3266, 1994.
- M. Dvir-Ginzberg, I. Gamlieli-Bonshtein, R. Agbaria, and S. Cohen, “Liver tissue engineering within alginate scaffolds: effects of cell-seeding density on hepatocyte viability, morphology, and function,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 757–766, 2003.
- P. Thevenot, A. Nair, J. Dey, J. Yang, and L. Tang, “Method to analyze three-dimensional cell distribution and infiltration in degradable scaffolds,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 319–331, 2008.
- B. S. Frank, P. B. Toth, W. K. Wells et al., “Determining cell seeding dosages for tissue engineering human pulmonary valves,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2012.
- A. J. Engler, S. Sen, H. L. Sweeney, and D. E. Discher, “Matrix elasticity directs stem cell lineage specification,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 677–689, 2006.
- M. Miron-Mendoza, J. Seemann, and F. Grinnell, “The differential regulation of cell motile activity through matrix stiffness and porosity in three dimensional collagen matrices,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 25, pp. 6425–6435, 2010.
- G. C. Menezes, M. Miron-Mendoza, C.-H. Ho, H. Jiang, and F. Grinnell, “Oncogenic Ras-transformed human fibroblasts exhibit differential changes in contraction and migration in 3D collagen matrices,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 314, no. 16, pp. 3081–3091, 2008.
- A. Buxboim and D. E. Discher, “Stem cells feel the difference,” Nature Methods, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 695–697, 2010.
- J. T. Erler and V. M. Weaver, “Three-dimensional context regulation of metastasis,” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 35–49, 2009.
- Y.-J. Kim, H.-I. Bae, O. K. Kwon, and M.-S. Choi, “Three-dimensional gastric cancer cell culture using nanofiber scaffold for chemosensitivity test,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2009.
- G. Bao and S. Suresh, “Cell and molecular mechanics of biological materials,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 715–725, 2003.
- K. C. Clause, L. J. Liu, and K. Tobita, “Directed stem cell differentiation: the role of physical forces,” Cell Communication and Adhesion, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 48–54, 2010.
- D. E. Discher, D. J. Mooney, and P. W. Zandstra, “Growth factors, matrices, and forces combine and control stem cells,” Science, vol. 324, no. 5935, pp. 1673–1677, 2009.
- N. Huebsch and D. J. Mooney, “Inspiration and application in the evolution of biomaterials,” Nature, vol. 462, no. 7272, pp. 426–432, 2009.
- S. Kumar and V. M. Weaver, “Mechanics, malignancy, and metastasis: the force journey of a tumor cell,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 28, no. 1-2, pp. 113–127, 2009.
- B. A. Teicher, “Acute and chronic in vivo therapeutic resistance,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1665–1673, 2009.
- T. Ma, W. L. Grayson, M. Fröhlich, and G. Vunjak-Novakovic, “Hypoxia and stem cell-based engineering of mesenchymal tissues,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 32–42, 2009.