- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 513680, 10 pages
Variations to the Nanotube Surface for Bone Regeneration
Materials Science and Engineering Program, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0411, USA
Received 1 June 2012; Accepted 31 March 2013
Academic Editor: Tadashi Kokubo
Copyright © 2013 Christine J. Frandsen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Matassi, L. Nistri, D. C. Paez, and M. Innocenti, “New biomaterials for bone regeneration,” Clinical Cases in Mineral and Bone Metabolism, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 21–24, 2011.
- B. Clarke, “Normal bone anatomy and physiology,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 3, supplement 3, pp. S131–S139, 2008.
- T. Albrektsson and C. Johansson, “Osteoinduction, osteoconduction and osseointegration,” European Spine Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, supplement, pp. S96–S101, 2001.
- L. L. Hench, D. L. Wheeler, and D. C. Greenspan, “Molecular control of bioactivity in sol-gel glasses,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 13, no. 1-3, pp. 245–250, 1999.
- L. L. Hench and J. M. Polak, “Third-generation biomedical materials,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5557, pp. 1014–1017, 2002.
- S. Kress, A. Neumann, B. Weyand, and C. Kasper, “Stem cell differentiation depending on different surfaces,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 126, pp. 263–283, 2012.
- M. Ngiam, L. T. Nguyen, S. Liao, C. K. Chan, and S. Ramakrishna, “Biomimetic nanostructured materials—potential regulators for osteogenesis?” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 213–222, 2011.
- M. Vallet-Regí and D. Arcos, “Nanostructured hybrid materials for bone tissue regeneration,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 179–189, 2006.
- R. McMurray, M. J. Dalby, and N. Gadegaard, “Nanopatterned surfaces for biomedical applications,” in Biomedical Engineering, Trends in Materials Science, A. N. Laskovski, Ed., vol. 22, InTech, 2011.
- Z. G. Zhang, Z. H. Li, X. Z. Mao, and W. C. Wang, “Advances in bone repair with nanobiomaterials: mini-review,” Cytotechnology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 437–443, 2011.
- D. H. Kim, P. P. Provenzano, C. L. Smith, and A. Levchenko, “Matrix nanotopography as a regulator of cell function,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 351–360, 2012.
- J. Y. Lim, A. E. Loiselle, J. S. Lee, Y. Zhang, J. D. Salvi, and H. J. Donahue, “Optimizing the osteogenic potential of adult stem cells for skeletal regeneration,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1627–1633, 2011.
- M. P. Prabhakaran, J. Venugopal, L. Ghasemi-Mobarakeh, et al., “Stem cells and nanostructures for advanced tissue regeneration,” Biomedical Applications of Polymeric Nanofibers, vol. 246, pp. 21–62, 2012.
- B. K. K. Teo, S. Ankam, and E. K. F. Yim, “Stem cell interaction with topography,” in Biomaterials as Stem Cell Niche, K. Roy, Ed., pp. 61–87, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
- M. J. Dalby, N. Gadegaard, M. O. Riehle, C. D. Wilkinson, and A. S. Curtis, “Investigating filopodia sensing using arrays of defined nano-pits down to 35 nm diameter in size,” The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2005–2015, 2004.
- M. J. Dalby, M. O. Riehle, H. Johnstone, S. Affrossman, and A. S. G. Curtis, “Investigating the limits of filopodial sensing: a brief report using SEM to image the interaction between 10 nm high nano-topography and fibroblast filopodia,” Cell Biology International, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 229–236, 2004.
- D. Gong, C. A. Grimes, O. K. Varghese et al., “Titanium oxide nanotube arrays prepared by anodic oxidation,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3331–3334, 2001.
- G. K. Mor, O. K. Varghese, M. Paulose, K. Shankar, and C. A. Grimes, “A review on highly ordered, vertically oriented TiO2 nanotube arrays: fabrication, material properties, and solar energy applications,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 90, no. 14, pp. 2011–2075, 2006.
- W. J. Lee and W. H. Smyrl, “Zirconium oxide nanotubes synthesized via direct electrochemical anodization,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. B7–B9, 2005.
- N. K. Allam, X. J. Feng, and C. A. Grimes, “Self-assembled fabrication of vertically oriented Ta2O5 nanotube arrays, and membranes thereof, by one-step tantalum anodization,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 20, no. 20, pp. 6477–6481, 2008.
- C. Ruan, M. Paulose, O. K. Varghese, G. K. Mor, and C. A. Grimes, “Fabrication of highly ordered TiO2 nanotube arrays using an organic electrolyte,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 33, pp. 15754–15759, 2005.
- S. Oh, C. Daraio, L. H. Chen, T. R. Pisanic, R. R. Fiñones, and S. Jin, “Significantly accelerated osteoblast cell growth on aligned TiO2 nanotubes,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 2006.
- K. C. Popat, L. Leoni, C. A. Grimes, and T. A. Desai, “Influence of engineered titania nanotubular surfaces on bone cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 21, pp. 3188–3197, 2007.
- A. J. Maniotis, C. S. Chen, and D. E. Ingber, “Demonstration of mechanical connections between integrins, cytoskeletal filaments, and nucleoplasm that stabilize nuclear structure,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 849–854, 1997.
- R. H. Getzenberg, K. J. Pienta, W. S. Ward, and D. S. Coffey, “Nuclear structure and the three-dimensional organization of DNA,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 289–299, 1991.
- S. Yoriya and C. A. Grimes, “Self-assembled TiO2 nanotube arrays by anodization of titanium in diethylene glycol: approach to extended pore widening,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 417–420, 2010.
- S. Bauer, J. Park, J. Faltenbacher, S. Berger, K. Von Der Mark, and P. Schmuki, “Size selective behavior of mesenchymal stem cells on ZrO2 and TiO2 nanotube arrays,” Integrative Biology, vol. 1, no. 8-9, pp. 525–532, 2009.
- K. S. Brammer, C. Choi, C. J. Frandsen, S. Oh, G. Johnston, and S. Jin, “Comparative cell behavior on carbon-coated TiO2 nanotube surfaces for osteoblasts vs. osteo-progenitor cells,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 2697–2703, 2011.
- A. Srivastav, “An overview of metallic biomaterials for bone support and replacement,” in Biomedical Engineering, Trends in Materials Science, A. N. Laskovski, Ed., InTech, 2011.
- K. Das, S. Bose, and A. Bandyopadhyay, “TiO2 nanotubes on Ti: influence of nanoscale morphology on bone cell-materials interaction,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 225–237, 2009.
- S. E. Rodil, R. Olivares, H. Arzate, and S. Muhl, “Properties of carbon films and their biocompatibility using in-vitro tests,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 12, no. 3–7, pp. 931–937, 2003.
- F. Z. Cui and D. J. Li, “A review of investigations on biocompatibility of diamond-like carbon and carbon nitride films,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 131, no. 1–3, pp. 481–487, 2000.
- F. Z. Cui, X. L. Qing, D. J. Li, and J. Zhao, “Biomedical investigations on CNx coating,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 200, no. 1–4, pp. 1009–1013, 2005.
- M. Amaral, A. G. Dias, P. S. Gomes et al., “Nanocrystalline diamond: in vitro biocompatibility assessment by MG63 and human bone marrow cells cultures,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 91–99, 2008.
- M. Amaral, P. S. Gomes, M. A. Lopes, J. D. Santos, R. F. Silva, and M. H. Fernandes, “Cytotoxicity evaluation of nanocrystalline diamond coatings by fibroblast cell cultures,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 755–763, 2009.
- F. Chai, N. Mathis, N. Blanchemain, C. Meunier, and H. F. Hildebrand, “Osteoblast interaction with DLC-coated Si substrates,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1369–1381, 2008.
- F. S. M. Ismail, R. Rohanizadeh, S. Atwa et al., “The influence of surface chemistry and topography on the contact guidance of MG63 osteoblast cells,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 705–714, 2007.
- T. Lechleitner, F. Klauser, T. Seppi et al., “The surface properties of nanocrystalline diamond and nanoparticulate diamond powder and their suitability as cell growth support surfaces,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 32, pp. 4275–4284, 2008.
- L. Yang, B. W. Sheldon, and T. J. Webster, “Orthopedic nano diamond coatings: control of surface properties and their impact on osteoblast adhesion and proliferation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 548–556, 2009.
- M. Kalbacova, B. Rezek, V. Baresova, C. Wolf-Brandstetter, and A. Kromka, “Nanoscale topography of nanocrystalline diamonds promotes differentiation of osteoblasts,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 3076–3085, 2009.
- B. D. Boyan, T. W. Hummert, D. D. Dean, and Z. Schwartz, “Role of material surfaces in regulating bone and cartilage cell response,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 137–146, 1996.