- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 617329, 7 pages
Evolving Bioprosthetic Tissue Calcification Can Be Quantified Using Serial Multislice CT Scanning
1Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
2Department of Radiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Received 4 June 2013; Accepted 9 August 2013
Academic Editor: Sean Peel
Copyright © 2013 B. Meuris et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. J. Schoen and R. J. Levy, “Calcification of tissue heart valve substitutes: progress toward understanding and prevention,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 1072–1080, 2005.
- W. Flameng, B. Meuris, J. Yperman, G. de Visscher, P. Herijgers, and E. Verbeken, “Factors influencing calcification of cardiac bioprostheses in adolescent sheep,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 89–98, 2006.
- P. Herijgers, S. Ozaki, E. Verbeken et al., “Calcification characteristics of porcine stentless valves in juvenile sheep,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 134–142, 1999.
- M. Jones, E. E. Eidbo, S. L. Hilbert, V. J. Ferrans, and R. E. Clark, “The effects of anticalcification treatments on bioprosthetic heart valves implanted in sheep,” ASAIO Transactions, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1027–1030, 1988.
- E. Pettenazzo, M. Valente, and G. Thiene, “Octanediol treatment of glutaraldehyde fixed bovine pericardium: evidence of anticalcification efficacy in the subcutaneous rat model,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 418–422, 2008.
- B. Meuris, S. Ozaki, P. Herijgers, E. Verbeken, and W. Flameng, “Influence of species, environmental factors, and tissue cellularity on calcification of porcine aortic wall tissue,” Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 13, no. 4, supplement 1, pp. 99–105, 2001.
- B. Meuris, R. Phillips, M. A. Moore, and W. Flameng, “Porcine stentless bioprostheses: prevention of aortic wall calcification by dye-mediated photo-oxidation,” Artificial Organs, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 537–543, 2003.
- B. Meuris, S. Ozaki, P. Herijgers, E. Verbeken, and W. Flameng, “Bioprosthetic tissue calcification: influence of blood contact and arterial pressure. An experimental study in rats and sheep,” Journal of Heart Valve Disease, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 392–399, 2003.
- H. Javadpour, D. Veerasingam, and A. E. Wood, “Calcification of homograft valves in the pulmonary circulation—is it device or donation related?” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 78–81, 2002.
- S.-M. Yuan, D. Mishaly, A. Shinfeld, and E. Raanani, “Right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction: valved conduit of choice and clinical outcomes,” Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 327–337, 2008.