- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 639841, 6 pages
Weibull Analysis of Fracture Test Data on Bovine Cortical Bone: Influence of Orientation
1Department of Engineering and Physics, University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK 73034, USA
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
Received 30 June 2013; Revised 3 October 2013; Accepted 3 October 2013
Academic Editor: Abdelwahab Omri
Copyright © 2013 Morshed Khandaker and Stephen Ekwaro-Osire. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Lucksanasombool, W. A. J. Higgs, R. J. E. D. Higgs, and M. V. Swain, “Fracture toughness of bovine bone: influence of orientation and storage media,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 23, pp. 3127–3132, 2001.
- R. K. Nalla, J. S. Stölken, J. H. Kinney, and R. O. Ritchie, “Fracture in human cortical bone: local fracture criteria and toughening mechanisms,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1517–1525, 2005.
- H. Peterlik, P. Roschger, K. Klaushofer, and P. Fratzl, “From brittle to ductile fracture of bone,” Nature Materials, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 52–55, 2006.
- G. Pezzotti and S. Sakakura, “Study of the toughening mechanisms in bone and biomimetic hydroxyapatite materials using Raman microprobe spectroscopy,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 229–236, 2003.
- R. O. Ritchie, J. H. Kinney, J. J. Kruzic, and R. K. Nalla, “A fracture mechanics and mechanistic approach to the failure of cortical bone,” Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 345–371, 2005.
- J. D. Currey, “What determines the bending strength of compact bone?” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 202, no. 18, pp. 2495–2503, 1999.
- R. M. Pidaparti, U. Akyuz, P. A. Naick, and D. B. Burr, “Fatigue data analysis of canine femurs under four-point bending,” Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2000.
- M. Pithioux, D. Subit, and P. Chabrand, “Comparison of compact bone failure under two different loading rates: experimental and modelling approaches,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 647–653, 2004.
- D. Taylor and J. H. Kuiper, “The prediction of stress fractures using a “stressed volume” concept,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 919–926, 2001.
- R. Sadananda, “Probabilistic approach to bone fracture analysis,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 202–206, 1991.
- C. I. Vallo, “Influence of load type on flexural strength of a bone cement based on PMMA,” Polymer Testing, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 793–800, 2002.
- J. P. Morgan and R. H. Dauskardt, “Notch strength insensitivity of self-setting hydroxyapatite bone cements,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 647–653, 2003.
- M. Staninec, G. W. Marshall, J. F. Hilton et al., “Ultimate tensile strength of dentin: evidence for a damage mechanics approach to dentin failure,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 342–345, 2002.
- ASTM, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Section 3, E399-90 Metals Test Methods and Analytical Procedures, 2001.
- D. Vashishth, K. E. Tanner, and W. Bonfield, “Experimental validation of a microcracking-based toughening mechanism for cortical bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 121–124, 2003.
- F. M. Haggag and J. H. Underwood, “Compliance of a three-point bend specimen at load line,” International Journal of Fracture, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. R63–R65, 1984.
- W. W. Dorner, “Using Microsoft Excel for Weibull analysis,” 1999, http://www.qualitydigest.com/jan99/html/body_Weibull.html.
- S. F. Lipson and J. L. Katz, “The relationship between elastic properties and microstructure of bovine cortical bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 231–240, 1984.