- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 407065, 11 pages
IVIVC from Long Acting Olanzapine Microspheres
1Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc, Marlborough, MA 01752, USA
2Fresenius Kabi USA, Skokie, IL 60077, USA
3Department of Chemistry and Technology of Drugs, Università degli Studi di Perugia, Via del Liceo 1, 06123 Perugia, Italy
4University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Received 27 August 2013; Accepted 20 October 2013; Published 22 January 2014
Academic Editor: Hasan Uludaǧ
Copyright © 2014 Susan D'Souza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- FDA Guidance for Industry, “Extended Release Oral Dosage Forms: Development, Evaluation and Application of in vitro/in vivo Correlations,” 1997.
- C. M. Negrín, A. Delgado, M. Llabrés, and C. Évora, “In vivo-in vitro study of biodegradable methadone delivery systems,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 563–570, 2001.
- D.-F. Chu, X.-Q. Fu, W.-H. Liu, K. Liu, and Y.-X. Li, “Pharmacokinetics and in vitro and in vivo correlation of huperzine A loaded poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) microspheres in dogs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 325, no. 1-2, pp. 116–123, 2006.
- L. C. Amann, M. J. Gandal, R. Lin, Y. Liang, and S. J. Siegel, “In vitro-in vivo correlations of scalable plga-risperidone implants for the treatment of schizophrenia,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1730–1737, 2010.
- S. D. 'Souza, J. A. Faraj, S. Giovagnoli, and P. P. DeLuca, “Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of Olanzapine Poly(D, L-lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA) microspheres,” Journal of Pharmaceutics, Article ID 831381, 2013.
- E. J. Park, S. Amatya, M. S. Kim et al., “Long-acting injectable formulations of antipsychotic drugs for the treatment of schizophrenia,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 36, pp. 651–659, 2013.
- S. S. D'Souza and P. P. DeLuca, “Methods to assess in vitro drug release from injectable polymeric particulate systems,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 460–474, 2006.
- J. C. Middleton and A. J. Tipton, “Synthetic biodegradable polymers as orthopedic devices,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 2335–2346, 2000.
- L. Wu and J. Ding, “In vitro degradation of three-dimensional porous poly(D,L-lactide-co- glycolide) scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 27, pp. 5821–5830, 2004.
- J. L. Cleland, “Protein delivery from biodegradable microspheres,” Pharmaceutical biotechnology, vol. 10, pp. 1–43, 1997.
- T. Morita, Y. Sakamura, Y. Horikiri, T. Suzuki, and H. Yoshino, “Evaluation of in vivo release characteristics of protein-loaded biodegradable microspheres in rats and severe combined immunodeficiency disease mice,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 73, no. 2-3, pp. 213–221, 2001.
- V. R. Sinha and A. Trehan, “Biodegradable microspheres for protein delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 261–280, 2003.
- T. Heya, H. Okada, Y. Ogawa, and H. Toguchi, “Factors influencing the profiles of TRH release from copoly(d,l-lactic/glycolic acid) microspheres,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 199–205, 1991.
- T. Heya, H. Okada, Y. Ogawa, and H. Toguchi, “In vitro and in vivo evaluation of thyrotrophin releasing hormone release from copoly(dl-lactic/glycolic acid) microspheres,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 636–640, 1994.
- M. Ramstack, G. Grandolfi, and E. Mannaert, “Long-acting Risperidone: prolonged release injectable delivery of Risperidone using Medisorb microsphere technology,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 53, abstract 547, 2003.
- B. H. Woo, K.-H. Na, B. A. Dani, G. Jiang, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “In vitro characterization and in vivo testosterone suppression of 6-month release poly(d,l-lactide) leuprolide microspheres,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 546–550, 2002.
- S. S. D'Souza, F. Selmin, S. B. Murty, W. Qiu, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “Assessment of fertility in male rats after extended chemical castration with a GnRH antagonist,” AAPS pharmSci, vol. 6, article 10, 2004.
- S. D'Souza, J. Faraj, and P. DeLuca, “Microsphere delivery of Risperidone as an alternative to combination therapy,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 85, no. 3, part A, pp. 631–639, 2013.
- T. H. Kim, H. H. Jiang, C. W. Park et al., “PEGylated TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-loaded sustained release PLGA microspheres for enhanced stability and antitumor activity,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2011.
- W. W. Fleischhacker, M. Eerdekens, K. Karcher et al., “Treatment of Schizophrenia with long-acting injectable Risperidone: a 12-month open-label trial of the first long-acting second-generation antipsychotic,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 64, pp. 1250–1257, 2003.
- B. Kim, S.-H. Lee, T. K. Choi et al., “Effectiveness of risperidone long-acting injection in first-episode schizophrenia: in naturalistic setting,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1231–1235, 2008.
- H. Okada, “One- and three-month release injectable microspheres of the LH-RH superagonist leuprorelin acetate,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 43–70, 1997.
- E. David Crawford and J. M. Phillips, “Six-month gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist depots provide efficacy, safety, convenience, and comfort,” Cancer Management and Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 201–209, 2011.
- M. J. Blanco-Príeto, M. A. Campanero, K. Besseghir, F. Heimgatner, and B. Gander, “Importance of single or blended polymer types for controlled in vitro release and plasma levels of a somatostatin analogue entrapped in PLA/PLGA microspheres,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 437–448, 2004.
- S. S. D'Souza and P. P. DeLuca, “Development of a dialysis in vitro release method for biodegradable microspheres,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 6, no. 2, article 42, 2005.
- J. W. Kostanski and P. P. DeLuca, “A novel in vitro release technique for peptide containing biodegradable microspheres,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 1, article E4, no. 1, 2000.
- J. W. Kostanski, B. A. Dani, G. A. Reynolds, C. Y. Bowers, and P. P. DeLuca, “Evaluation of Orntide microspheres in a rat animal model and correlation to in vitro release profiles,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 1, article 27, 2000.
- J. G. Wagner and E. Nelson, “Per cent absorbed time plots derived from blood level and/or urinary excretion data,” Journal of pharmaceutical sciences, vol. 52, pp. 610–611, 1963.
- B. H. Woo, J. W. Kostanski, S. Gebrekidan, B. A. Dani, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of 120-day poly(D,L-lactide) leuprolide microspheres,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 307–315, 2001.
- G. Reich, “Use of DSC to study the degradation behavior of PLA and PLGA microparticles,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1177–1189, 1997.
- G. Jiang, W. Qiu, and P. P. DeLuca, “Preparation and in vitro/in vivo evaluation of insulin-loaded poly(acryloyl-hydroxyethyl starch)-PLGA composite microspheres,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 452–459, 2003.