- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Biomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 768136, 5 pages
A Novel Qualitative and Quantitative Biofilm Assay Based on 3D Soft Tissue
1Medibiome AB, 431 53 Mölndal, Sweden
2Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, 413 45 Göteborg, Sweden
Received 23 October 2013; Revised 22 December 2013; Accepted 9 January 2014; Published 18 February 2014
Academic Editor: Sanjukta Deb
Copyright © 2014 Bodil Hakonen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Schachter, “Slimy business—the biotechnology of biofilms,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 361–365, 2003.
- H. Ceri, M. E. Olson, C. Stremick, R. R. Read, D. Morck, and A. Buret, “The calgary biofilm device: new technology for rapid determination of antibiotic susceptibilities of bacterial biofilms,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1771–1776, 1999.
- R. M. Donlan and J. W. Costerton, “Biofilms: survival mechanisms of clinically relevant microorganisms,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 167–193, 2002.
- D. E. Saye, “Recurring and antimicrobial-resistant infections: considering the potential role of biofilms in clinical practice,” Ostomy Wound Management, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 46–62, 2007.
- G. Cook, J. W. Costerton, and R. O. Darouiche, “Direct confocal microscopy studies of the bacterial colonization in vitro of a silver-coated heart valve sewing cuff,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 169–173, 2000.
- J. H. Merritt, D. E. Kadouri, and G. A. O'Toole, “Growing and analyzing static biofilms,” Current Protocols in Microbiology, no. 22, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- A. L. Clutterbuck, C. A. Cochrane, J. Dolman, and S. L. Percival, “Evaluating antibiotics for use in medicine using a poloxamer biofilm model,” Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, vol. 6, p. 2, 2007.
- M. Werthén, L. Henriksson, P. Ø. Jensen, C. Sternberg, M. Givskov, and T. Bjarnsholt, “An in vitro model of bacterial infections in wounds and other soft tissues,” Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica, et Immunologica Scandinavica, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 156–164, 2010.
- G. Brackman, P. Cos, L. Maes, H. J. Nelis, and T. Coenye, “Quorum sensing inhibitors increase the susceptibility of bacterial biofilms to antibiotics in vitro and in vivo,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 2655–2661, 2011.
- A. W. Bauer, W. M. Kirby, J. C. Sherris, and M. Turck, “Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 493–496, 1966.
- C. L. Gallant-Behm, H. Q. Yin, S. Liu et al., “Comparison of in vitro disc diffusion and time kill-kinetic assays for the evaluation of antimicrobial wound dressing efficacy,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 412–421, 2005.
- S. Thomas, Surgical Dressings and Wound Management, Medetec Publications, South Wales, UK, 2010.
- P. S. Stewart, J. Rayner, F. Roe, and W. M. Rees, “Biofilm penetration and disinfection efficacy of alkaline hypochlorite and chlorosulfamates,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 525–532, 2001.
- C. Lipp, K. Kirker, A. Agostinho, G. James, and P. Stewart, “Testing wound dressings using an in vitro wound model,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 220–226, 2010.
- D. Djordjevic, M. Wiedmann, and L. A. McLandsborough, “Microtiter plate assay for assessment of Listeria monocytogenes biofilm formation,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 2950–2958, 2002.
- B. Fink, “Revision of late periprosthetic infections of total hip endoprostheses: pros and cons of different concepts,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 287–295, 2009.