- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Corrosion
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 305793, 9 pages
An Overview of Sensitization Dynamics in Ferritic Stainless Steel Welds
Advanced Materials and Surface Engineering Research Unit, Department of Manufacturing and Materials Engineering, International Islamic University Malaysia, P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 26 December 2010; Accepted 27 April 2011
Academic Editor: F. J. M. Pérez
Copyright © 2011 M. O. H. Amuda and S. Mridha. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Balasubramanian, K. Shanmugan, and A. K. Lakshminarayanam, “Effect of autogenous arc welding processes on fatigue crack growth behavior of ferritic stainless steel joints,” Iron and Steel Institute of Japan International, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 489–495, 2008.
- D. Kotecki, “Ensuring the stamina of stainless steel,” Welding Journal, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 41–45, 1998.
- D. Pecker and I. M. Bernstein, Handbook of Stainless Steel, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- B. Holmber, “Stainless steel: their properties and suitability for welding, bronchure, avestapolarit welding,” 2009, http://www.outokumpu.com/applications/upload/pubs_113155252.pdf.
- J. C. Lippold and D. J. Kotecki, Welding Metallurgy and Weldability of Stainless Steel, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
- G. M. Reddy and S. D. Meshran, “Grain refinement in ferritic stainless weld through magnetic arc oscillations and its effect on tensile property,” Indian Welding Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 35–41, 2006.
- G. M. Reddy and T. Mohandas, “Explorative studies on grain refinement of ferritic stainless steel welds,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 721–723, 2001.
- L. M. Matthews, B. Griesel, P. T. Longman, G. T. Van Rooyen, and J. M. Prozzi, “Sensitization in low-carbon 12% chromium containing stainless steel,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Corrosion Congress, p. 332, Cape town, South Africa, 1999.
- R. Nishimura, “Stress corrosion cracking of type 430 ferritic stainless steel in chloride and sulfate solutions,” Corrosion, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 882–890, 1992.
- A. P. Bond, “Mechanism of intergranular corrosion in ferritic stainless steels,” Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers, pp. 2127–2134, 1969.
- J. J. Demo, “Mechanism of high temperature embrittlement and loss of corrosion resistance in AISI type 446 stainless steel,” Corrosion, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 531–544, 1971.
- M. N. Van Warmelo, Susceptibility of 12% Cr steels to sensitization during welding of thick gauge plate, M.S. thesis, University of Wollongong, Australia, 2007.
- M. Du Toit, G. T. Van Rooyen, and D. Smith, An Overview of the Heat-Affected Zone Sensitization and Stress Corrosion Cracking Behavior of 12% Chromium Type 1.4003 Ferritic Stainless Steel, IIW Doc IX-H-640, 2006.
- C. Gobler, Weldability studies on 12% and 14% chromium steels, Ph.D. thesis, University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1987.
- J. F. Lancaster, Metallurgy of Welding, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 5th edition, 1993.
- M. Streicher, “The role of carbon, nitrogen and heat treatment in the dissolution of Iron-chromium alloys in acids,” Corrosion, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 337–360, 1973.
- M. Semchysen, A. P. Bond, and H. J. Dunda, “Effects of composition on ductility and toughness of ferritic stainless steel,” in The Metallurgical Evolution of Stainless Steel, F. B. Pickering, Ed., pp. 260–273, ASM, 1972.
- R. H. Kaltenhuser, “Improving the engineering properties of ferritic stainless steel,” Metals Engineering Quarterly, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 41–47, 1971.
- J. J. Demo, “Weldable and corrosion resistant ferritic stainless steels,” Metallurgical Transactions A, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 2253–2256, 1974.
- C. Strawström and M. Hillert, “An improved depleted zone theory of intergranular corrosion of 18-8 stainless steel,” Journal of Iron and Steel Institute, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 1969.
- N. Parvathavarthimu, “Sensitization and testing for intergranular corrosion,” in Corrosion of Austenitic Stainless Steel: Mechanism, Mitigation and Monitoring, H. S. Khatak and B. Raj, Eds., pp. 117–138, Woodhead, London, UK, 2002.
- Z. Ahmad, Principles of Corrosion Engineering and Corrosion Control, Institution of Chemical Engineers, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK, 2006.
- J. R. Davis, “Corrosion behavior,” in Stainless Steels: An ASM Specialty Handbook, pp. 133–238, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, USA, 1996.
- A. Baumel, H. E. Buhler, H. J. Schuller, et al., “Interpretation of the causes of intergranular corrosion of stainless steels in connection with the chromium depletion theory,” Corrosion Science, vol. 4, no. 1-4, pp. 89–103, 1964.
- V. Cihal, “Intergranular corrosion of steels and alloys,” Materials Science Monographs, vol. 18, pp. 79–83, 1984.
- H. Tomari, K. Fujiwara, K. Shimogori, T. Fukuzuka, and M. Kanda, “Intergranular stress corrosion cracking of 13% and 18% Cr ferritic stainless steels in high temperature purity water,” Corrosion, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 283–294, 1982.
- M. Warmelo, D. Nolan, and J. Norish, “Mitigation of sensitization effects in unstabilized 12% Cr ferritic stainless steel weld,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 464, pp. 157–169, 2007.
- M. L. Greeff and M. Du Toit, “Looking at the sensitization of 11-12% chromium EN 1.4003 stainless steels during welding,” Welding Journal, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 243s–251s, 2006.
- M. C. Balmforth and J. C. Lippold, “New ferritic-martensitic stainless steel constitution diagram,” Welding Journal, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 339s–345s, 2000.
- J. G. Williams and F. J. Barbaro, “Sensitization and intergranular stress corrosion cracking of the HAZ of welded 12% Cr ferritic stainless steels,” Australasian Welding Journal, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 212–218, 2005.
- T. G. Gooch, “Corrosion behavior of welded stainless steel,” Welding Journal, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 135s–154s, 1996.
- R. A. Lula and J. A. Davis, “Intergranular corrosion cracking in 12% Cr ferritic stainless steels,” in Intergranular Corrosion of Stainless Alloys, R. F. Stegerwald, Ed., pp. 233–247, ASTM STP 656, 1978.
- A. W. Marshal and J. C. M. Famar, “Welding of ferritic and martensitic 11–14% Cr steels,” IIW document, IXH-494-200, pp. 1–39, 2000.
- E. Folkhard, Welding Metallurgy of Stainless Steel, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- A. K. Lakshminarayanan and V. Balasubramanian, “An assessment of microstructure, hardness, tensile and impact strength of friction stir welded ferritic stainless steel joints,” Materials and Design, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 4592–4600, 2010.
- A. J. Sedriks, “Effects of alloy composition and microstructure on the passivity of stainless steels,” Corrosion, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 376–389, 1986.
- J. L. Cavazos, “Characterization of precipitates formed in a ferritic stainless steel stabilized with Zr and Ti additions,” Materials Characterization, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 96–101, 2006.
- N. Shigenaka, S. Ono, Y. Isobe, T. Hashimoto, H. Fujimori, and S. Uchida, “Effect of zirconium addition to austenitic stainless steels on suppression of radiation induced chromium segregation at grain boundaries under ion irradiation,” Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 577–581, 1996.
- R. G. Nooning Jr., Effect of stabilizing elements on the precipitation behavior and phase stability of type 409 ferritic stainless steels, M.S. thesis, University of Pittsburgh, 2002.
- W. Gordon and A. Van Bennekom, “Review of stabilisation of ferritic stainless steels,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 126–131, 1996.
- A. A. Ogwu and T. J. Davies, “Improving the sensitisation resistance of ferritic stainless steels,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 259–263, 1997.
- O. Bletton, J. Bayol, and P. Terrien, “Martensitic stainless steel with improved machinability,” 2009, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5427635.html.
- V. S. Yarkovoi, “Thermodynamic analysis and intergranular corrosion of corrosion-resistant chrome-manganese steels with nitrogen,” Metal Science and Heat Treatment, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 273–277, 1993.
- H. J. Dundas and A. P. Bond, “Niobium, titanium requirements for stabilization of ferritic stainless steels,” in Intergranular Corrosion of Stainless Steels, R. F. Stegerwald, Ed., pp. 154–178, ASTM STP 656, 1978.
- J. D. Fritz and I. A. Franson, “Sensitization and stabilization of type 409 ferritic stainless steel,” Materials Performance, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 57–61, 1997.
- T. M. Devine and A. M. Ritter, “Sensitization of 12 Wt Pct chromium, titanium-stabilized ferritic stainless steel,” Metallurgical Transactions A, vol. 14A, no. 8, pp. 1721–1728, 1983.
- J. G. Williams and F. J. Barbaro, “Susceptibility and prevention of HAZ sensitization and intergranular stress corrosion cracking in various 12% Cr steels,” in Proceedings of the Iron and Steel Technology Conference (AIstech '05), Charlotte, NC, USA, May 2005.
- J. W. Fourie and F. P. A. Robinson, “Literature review on the influence of weld-heat inputs on the mechanical and corrosion properties of duplex stainles steels,” Journal of The South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 59–65, 1990.
- N. Sridhar, L. H. Flasche, and J. Kolts, “Effects of welding parameters on mechanical properties and corrosion of duplex stainless steels,” in New Developments in Duplex Stainless Steel Technology, R. A. Lula, Ed., pp. 341–350, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, USA, 1984.