- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Corrosion
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 506501, 17 pages
Experimental Investigation on Corrosion of Cast Iron Pipes
School of Engineering, University of Greenwich, Medway ME4 4TB, UK
Received 1 December 2010; Accepted 15 March 2011
Academic Editor: Flavio Deflorian
Copyright © 2011 H. Mohebbi and C. Q. Li. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Rajani and J. Makar, “A methodology to estimate remaining service life of grey cast iron water mains,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1259–1272, 2000.
- K. Atkinson, et al., “Failure of small diameter cast iron pipes,” Urban Water, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 263–271, 2002.
- K. Yamamoto, et al., “Service life prediction of industrial pipeline,” Tetsu-To-Hagane/Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 121–126, 1985.
- P. Marshall, “The residual structural properties of cast iron pipes- structural and design criteria for lining for water mains in pipeline innovation,” 2001.
- M. Najafi and S. Gokhale, Trenchless Technology Pipeline and Utility Design, Construction, and Renewal, McGraw–Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- R. Mehra and A. Soni, “Cast iron deterioration with time in various aqueous salt solutions,” Bulletin of Materials Science, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2002.
- A. E. Krivosheev, B. V. Marinchenko, and N. M. Fetisov, “Corrosion resistance of cast iron with and without additive treatment,” Russ Cast Prod, no. 3, pp. 86–87, 1973.
- N. R. Smart, D. J. Blackwood, and L. Werme, “Anaerobic corrosion of carbon steel and cast iron in artificial groundwaters: part 2-gas generation,” Corrosion, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 627–637, 2002.
- N. R. Smart, D. J. Blackwood, and L. Werme, “Anaerobic corrosion of carbon steel and cast iron in artificial groundwaters: part 1—electrochemical aspects,” Corrosion, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 547–559, 2002.
- T. V. Jayaraman, et al., “Corrosion studies of single crystals of iron-gallium alloys in aqueous environments,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 4015–4027, 2007.
- H. M. S. Belmonte, M. J. Mulheron, and P. A. Smith, “Some observations on the strength and fatigue properties of samples extracted from cast iron water mains,” Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 916–925, 2009.
- H. Mohebbi, et al., “The fracture and fatigue properties of cast iron used in the water industry,” Materials Science and Engineering: A Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructure and Processing, vol. 527, no. 21-22, pp. 5915–5923, 2010.
- H. Mohebbi, et al., “Characterisation of the fatigue properties of cast irons used in the water industry and the effect on pipe strength and performance,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Modern Practice in Stress and Vibration Analysis, IOP Publishing, Cambridge, UK, September 2009.
- L. L. Shreir, R. A. Jarman, and G. T. Burstein, Corrosion, Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, UK, 3rd edition, 1994.
- K. R. Trethewey and J. Chamberlain, Corrosion Science and Engineering, Longman, 2nd edition, 1995.
- S. S. Abdel-Rehim, K. F. Khaled, and N. S. Abd-Elshafi, “Electrochemical frequency modulation as a new technique for monitoring corrosion inhibition of iron in acid media by new thiourea derivative,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 16, pp. 3269–3277, 2006.
- R. W. Bosch, et al., “Electrochemical frequency modulation: a new electrochemical technique for online corrosion monitoring,” Corrosion, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 60–70, 2001.
- J. F. Watts and J. Wolstenholme, An Introduction to Surface Analysis by XPS and AES, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- O. N. Tel'manova, P. P. Karyazin, and V. M. Shtanko, “Behavior of cast-iron with lamellar and globular graphite in dilute acids,” Protection of Metals, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 45–47, 1980.
- E. Lunarska, “Effect of graphite shape on the corrosion of grey cast iron in phosphoric acid,” Materials and Corrosion, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 539–544, 1996.
- M. Ruscak and T. P. Perng, “Effect of ferrite on corrosion of Fe-Mn-Al alloys in sodium-chloride solution,” Corrosion, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 738–743, 1995.
- M. N. Srinivasan and V. Kondic, “Relating microstructure to mechanical properties of flake cast iron,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Metallurgy of Cast Iron, Georgi Publishing Company, Geneva, Switzerland, 1975.
- S. Al-Hassan, et al., “Effect of microstructure on corrosion of steels in aqueous solutions containing carbon dioxide,” Corrosion, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 480–491, 1998.
- S. T. Shih, C. Y. Tai, and T. P. Perng, “Corrosion behavior of two-phase Fe-Mn-Al alloys in 3.5-percent NaCl solution,” Corrosion, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 130–134, 1993.
- A. A. Abdul Azim and S. H. Sanad, “Corrosion and corrosion inhibition of C-steel and cast Fe in acid solution,” Corrosion Science, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 337–347, 1972.
- F. M. Song, et al., “Effect of ferrous ion oxidation on corrosion of active iron under an aerated solution layer,” Corrosion, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 145–154, 2002.
- T. Ujiro, K. Yoshioka, and R. W. Staehle, “Differences in corrosion behavior of ferritic and austenitic stainless-steels,” Corrosion, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 953–962, 1994.
- V. Arjunan, et al., “Electrochemical corrosion behavior of low-carbon I-beam steels in a simulated Yucca Mountain repository environment,” Corrosion, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 381–391, 2005.
- J. F. Moulder, et al., Handbook of X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, Physical Electronics, Eden Prairie, Minn, USA, 1995.
- S. E. Ziemniak, “Metal oxide solubility behavior in high temperature aqueous solutions,” Journal of Solution Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 745–760, 1992.
- G. L. Makar and D. Tromans, “Pitting corrosion of iron in weakly alkaline chloride solutions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 250–261, 1995.