- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Corrosion
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 853730, 16 pages
Effect of Nitrite Ions on Steel Corrosion Induced by Chloride or Sulfate Ions
Concrete Laboratory, Department of Civil Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Kitakyushu-shi 804-8550, Japan
Received 24 June 2013; Revised 29 September 2013; Accepted 4 October 2013
Academic Editor: W. Ke
Copyright © 2013 Zhonglu Cao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. K. Sideris and A. E. Savva, “Durability of mixtures containing calcium nitrite based corrosion inhibitor,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 277–287, 2005.
- K. Y. Ann and N. R. Buenfeld, “The effect of calcium nitrite on the chloride-induced corrosion of steel in concrete,” Magazine of Concrete Research, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 689–697, 2007.
- M. Balonis and F. P. Glasser, “Calcium nitrite corrosion inhibitor in portland cement: influence of nitrite on chloride binding and mineralogy,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 2230–2241, 2011.
- C. Alonso and C. Andrade, “Effect of nitrite as a corrosion inhibitor in contaminated and chloride-free carbonated mortars,” ACI Materials Journal, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 130–137, 1990.
- V. T. Ngala, C. L. Page, and M. M. Page, “Corrosion inhibitor systems for remedial treatment of reinforced concrete. Part 1: calcium nitrite,” Corrosion Science, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 2073–2087, 2002.
- M. B. Valcarce, C. López, and M. Vázquez, “The role of chloride, nitrite and carbonate ions on carbon steel passivity studied in simulating concrete pore solutions,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. C244–C251, 2012.
- P. Montes, T. W. Bremner, and D. H. Lister, “Influence of calcium nitrite inhibitor and crack width on corrosion of steel in high performance concrete subjected to a simulated marine environment,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 243–253, 2004.
- I. L. Kondratova, P. Montes, and T. W. Bremner, “Natural marine exposure results for reinforced concrete slabs with corrosion inhibitors,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 25, no. 4-5, pp. 483–490, 2003.
- M. B. Valcarce and M. Vázquez, “Carbon steel passivity examined in alkaline solutions: the effect of chloride and nitrite ions,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 53, no. 15, pp. 5007–5015, 2008.
- L. Mammoliti, C. M. Hansson, and B. B. Hope, “Corrosion inhibitors in concrete. Part II: effect on chloride threshold values for corrosion of steel in synthetic pore solutions,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1583–1589, 1999.
- A. Królikowski and J. Kuziak, “Impedance study on calcium nitrite as a penetrating corrosion inhibitor for steel in concrete,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 56, no. 23, pp. 7845–7853, 2011.
- P. Garcés, P. Saura, E. Zornoza, and C. Andrade, “Influence of pH on the nitrite corrosion inhibition of reinforcing steel in simulated concrete pore solution,” Corrosion Science, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 3991–4000, 2011.
- M. B. Valcarce and M. Vázquez, “Carbon steel passivity examined in solutions with a low degree of carbonation: the effect of chloride and nitrite ions,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 313–321, 2009.
- M. Reffass, R. Sabot, M. Jeannin, C. Berziou, and P. Refait, “Effects of N ions on localised corrosion of steel in NaHCO3 + NaCl electrolytes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 27, pp. 7599–7606, 2007.
- P. Garcés, P. Saura, A. Méndez, E. Zornoza, and C. Andrade, “Effect of nitrite in corrosion of reinforcing steel in neutral and acid solutions simulating the electrolytic environments of micropores of concrete in the propagation period,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 498–509, 2008.
- S. Matsuda and H. H. Uhlig, “Effect of pH, sulfates, and chlorides on behavior of sodium chromate and nitrite as passivators for steel,” Journal of Electrochemical Society, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 156–161, 1964.
- T. Cheng, J. Lee, and W. Tsai, “Corrosion of reinforcements in artificial sea water and concentrated sulfate solution,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 243–252, 1990.
- A. J. Al-Tayyib and M. S. Khan, “Effect of sulfate ions on the corrosion of rebars embedded in concrete,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 123–127, 1991.
- O. S. B. Al-Amoudi and M. Maslehuddin, “The effect of chloride and sulfate ions on reinforcement corrosion,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 139–146, 1993.
- N. R. Jarrah, O. S. B. Al-Amoudi, M. Maslehuddin, O. A. Ashiru, and A. I. Al-Mana, “Electrochemical behaviour of steel in plain and blended cement concretes in sulphate and/or chloride environments,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 97–103, 1995.
- H. A. F. Dehwah, M. Maslehuddin, and S. A. Austin, “Long-term effect of sulfate ions and associated cation type on chloride-induced reinforcement corrosion in Portland cement concretes,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2002.
- M. G. Pujar, T. Anita, H. Shaikh, R. K. Dayal, and H. S. Khatak, “Use of electrochemical noise (EN) technique to study the effect of sulfate and chloride ions on passivation and pitting corrosion behavior of 316 stainless steel,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 501–506, 2007.
- E. E. Abd El Aal, S. Abd El Wanees, A. Diab, and S. M. Abd El Haleem, “Environmental factors affecting the corrosion behavior of reinforcing steel III. Measurement of pitting corrosion currents of steel in Ca(OH)2 solutions under natural corrosion conditions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 1611–1618, 2009.
- M. Stern and A. L. Geary, “Electrochemical polarization. I. A theoretical analysis of the shape of polarization Curves,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1957.
- P. Ghods, O. B. Isgor, G. McRae, and T. Miller, “The effect of concrete pore solution composition on the quality of passive oxide films on black steel reinforcement,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2009.
- M. Moreno, W. Morris, M. G. Alvarez, and G. S. Duffó, “Corrosion of reinforcing steel in simulated concrete pore solutions effect of carbonation and chloride content,” Corrosion Science, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 2681–2699, 2004.
- B. Huet, V. L'Hostis, F. Miserque, and H. Idrissi, “Electrochemical behavior of mild steel in concrete: influence of pH and carbonate content of concrete pore solution,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 172–180, 2005.
- E. E. Stansbury, Fundamentals of Electrochemical Corrosion, pp. 233–254, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, USA, 2000.
- M. J. Pryor, “The significance of the flade potential,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 557–562, 1959.
- H. J. Engell, “Stability and breakdown phenomena of passivating films,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 987–993, 1977.