- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Cell Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 439349, 10 pages
Distribution of Cytoskeletal Components in Endothelial Cells in the Guinea Pig Renal Artery
Department of Anatomy, Jichi Medical School, 3311-1 Yakushiji, Shimotsuke, Tochigi 329-0498, Japan
Received 19 August 2011; Revised 14 November 2011; Accepted 18 November 2011
Academic Editor: R. Seger
Copyright © 2012 Kazuo Katoh and Yasuko Noda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. T. Flaherty, J. E. Pierce, V. J. Ferrans, D. J. Patel, W. K. Tucker, and D. L. Fry, “Endothelial nuclear patterns in the canine arterial tree with particular reference to hemodynamic events,” Circulation Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 23–33, 1972.
- C. F. Dewey, S. R. Bussolari, M. A. Gimbrone, and P. F. Davies, “The dynamic response of vascular endothelial cells to fluid shear stress,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 177–185, 1981.
- G. E. White, M. A. Gimbrone, and K. Fujiwara, “Factors influencing the expression of stress fibers in vascular endothelial cells in situ,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 416–424, 1983.
- R. P. Franke, M. Grafe, and H. Schnittler, “Induction of human vascular endothelial stress fibres by fluid shear stress,” Nature, vol. 307, no. 5952, pp. 648–649, 1984.
- A. J. Wong, T. D. Pollard, and M. Herman, “Actin filament stress fibers in vascular endothelial cells in vivo,” Science, vol. 219, no. 4586, pp. 867–869, 1983.
- Y. Kano, K. Katoh, and K. Fujiwara, “Lateral zone of cell-cell adhesion as the major fluid shear stress- related signal transduction site,” Circulation Research, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 425–433, 2000.
- M. Osawa, M. Masuda, K. I. Kusano, and K. Fujiwara, “Evidence for a role of platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 in endothelial cell mechanosignal transduction: is it a mechanoresponsive molecule?” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 773–785, 2002.
- P. F. Davies, “Flow-mediated endothelial mechanotransduction,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 519–560, 1995.
- S. Obi, K. Yamamoto, N. Shimizu et al., “Fluid shear stress induces arterial differentiation of endothelial progenitor cells,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 203–211, 2009.
- X. Sai, K. Naruse, and M. Sokabe, “Activation of pp60(src) is critical for stretch-induced orienting response in fibroblasts,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. 1365–1373, 1999.
- K. Kanda and T. Matsuda, “Behavior of arterial wall cells cultured on periodically stretched substrates,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 475–484, 1993.
- K. Katoh, Y. Kano, and S. Ookawara, “Role of stress fibers and focal adhesions as a mediator for mechano-signal transduction in endothelial cells in situ,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1273–1282, 2008.
- K. Katoh, M. Masuda, Y. Kano, Y. Jinguji, and K. Fujiwara, “Focal adhesion proteins associated with apical stress fibers of human fibroblasts,” Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 177–195, 1995.
- Y. Kano, K. Katoh, M. Masuda, and K. Fujiwara, “Macromolecular composition of stress fiber-plasma membrane attachment sites in endothelial cells in situ,” Circulation Research, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 1000–1006, 1996.
- S. G. Eskin, C. L. Ives, L. V. McIntire, and L. T. Navarro, “Response of cultured endothelial cells to steady flow,” Microvascular Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 87–94, 1984.
- M. A. Reidy and B. L. Langille, “The effect of local blood flow patterns on endothelial cell morphology,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 276–289, 1980.
- R. M. Nerem, M. J. Levesque, and J. F. Cornhill, “Vascular endothelial morphology as an indicator of the pattern of blood flow,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 172–176, 1981.
- Y. Yoshida, M. Okano, S. Wang et al., “Hemodynamic-force-induced difference of interendothelial junctional complexes,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 748, pp. 104–121, 1995.
- K. Katoh, Y. Kano, M. Masuda, H. Onishi, and K. Fujiwara, “Isolation and contraction of the stress fiber,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1919–1938, 1998.
- T. Murakami and H. Ishikawa, “Stress fibers in situ in proximal tubules of the rat kidney,” Cell Structure and Function, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 1991.
- V. P. Shirinsky, A. S. Antonov, K. G. Birukov et al., “Mechano-chemical control of human endothelium orientation and size,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 331–339, 1989.
- T. Takemasa, K. Sugimoto, and K. Yamashita, “Amplitude-dependent stress fiber reorientation in early response to cyclic strain,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 230, no. 2, pp. 407–410, 1997.
- P. Sipkema, P. J. W. Van Der Linden, N. Westerhof, and F. C. P. Yin, “Effect of cyclic axial stretch of rat arteries on endothelial cytoskeletal morphology and vascular reactivity,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 653–659, 2003.
- K. Sugimoto, S. Fujii, and K. Yamashita, “Expression of stress fibers in bullfrog mesothelial cells in response to tension,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. 353–361, 1991.
- K. Katoh, Y. Kano, and S. Ookawara, “Morphological differences between guinea pig aortic and venous endothelial cells in situ,” Cell Biology International, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 554–564, 2007.
- K. Katoh, Y. Kano, and S. Ookawara, “Microwave irradiation for fixation and immunostaining of endothelial cells in situ,” Biotechnic and Histochemistry, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 101–108, 2009.
- K. Katoh, “Rapid fixation and immunofluorescent staining of cultured cells using microwave irradiation,” Journal of Histotechnology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2011.
- D. W. Kim, B. L. Langille, M. K. K. Wong, and A. I. Gotlieb, “Patterns of endothelial microfilament distribution in the rabbit aorta in situ,” Circulation Research, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 21–31, 1989.
- S. Jalali, Y. S. Li, M. Sotoudeh et al., “Shear stress activates p60src-Ras-MAPK signaling pathways in vascular endothelial cells,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 227–234, 1998.
- K. Hayakawa, N. Sato, and T. Obinata, “Dynamic reorientation of cultured cells and stress fibers under mechanical stress from periodic stretching,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 104–114, 2001.