- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Cell Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 672462, 9 pages
Distinct MicroRNA Subcellular Size and Expression Patterns in Human Cancer Cells
1Laboratory of Bioinformation and Noncoding RNA and Center for Systems Biology, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
2Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Received 27 July 2011; Accepted 9 November 2011
Academic Editor: Ivana De La Serna
Copyright © 2012 Beibei Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. A. Calin and C. M. Croce, “MicroRNA signatures in human cancers,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 857–866, 2006.
- M. Fabbro and B. R. Henderson, “Regulation of tumor suppressors by nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 282, no. 2, pp. 59–69, 2003.
- L. J. Terry, E. B. Shows, and S. R. Wente, “Crossing the nuclear envelope: hierarchical regulation of nucleocytoplasmic transport,” Science, vol. 318, no. 5855, pp. 1412–1416, 2007.
- A. Esquela-Kerscher and F. J. Slack, “Oncomirs—microRNAs with a role in cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 259–269, 2006.
- J. P. Morris and M. T. McManus, “Slowing down the Ras lane: miRNAs as tumor suppressors?” Science's STKE, vol. 2005, no. 297, p. e41, 2005.
- N. R. Smalheiser, “Regulation of mammalian microRNA processing and function by cellular signaling and subcellular localization,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1779, no. 11, pp. 678–681, 2008.
- G. Meister and T. Tuschl, “Mechanisms of gene silencing by double-stranded RNA,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7006, pp. 343–349, 2004.
- K. Chen and N. Rajewsky, “The evolution of gene regulation by transcription factors and microRNAs,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 93–103, 2007.
- A. G. Seto, R. E. Kingston, and N. C. Lau, “The coming of age for piwi proteins,” Molecular Cell, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 603–609, 2007.
- A. A. Aravin, R. Sachidanandam, A. Girard, K. Fejes-Toth, and G. J. Hannon, “Developmentally regulated piRNA clusters implicate MILI in transposon control,” Science, vol. 316, no. 5825, pp. 744–747, 2007.
- A. A. Aravin and D. Bourc'his, “Small RNA guides for de novo DNA methylation in mammalian germ cells,” Genes and Development, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 970–975, 2008.
- D. P. Bartel, “MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function,” Cell, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 281–297, 2004.
- L. Ma, J. Teruya-Feldstein, and R. A. Weinberg, “Tumour invasion and metastasis initiated by microRNA-10b in breast cancer,” Nature, vol. 449, no. 7163, pp. 682–688, 2007.
- K. V. Morris, S. W. L. Chan, S. E. Jacobsen, and D. J. Looney, “Small interfering RNA-induced transcriptional gene silencing in human cells,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5688, pp. 1289–1292, 2004.
- H. Kawasaki and K. Taira, “Induction of DNA methylation and gene silencing by short interfering RNAs in human cells,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7005, pp. 211–217, 2004.
- K. M. Brown, C. Y. Chu, and T. M. Rana, “Target accessibility dictates the potency of human RISC,” Nature Structural and Molecular Biology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 469–470, 2005.
- L. Weinmann, J. Höck, T. Ivacevic et al., “Importin 8 is a gene silencing factor that targets argonaute proteins to distinct mRNAs,” Cell, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 496–507, 2009.
- H. W. Hwang, E. A. Wentzel, and J. T. Mendell, “A hexanucleotide element directs microRNA nuclear import,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5808, pp. 97–100, 2007.
- S. Y. Berezhna, L. Supekova, F. Supek, P. G. Schultz, and A. A. Deniz, “siRNA in human cells selectively localizes to target RNA sites,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 20, pp. 7682–7687, 2006.
- R. D. Morin, M. D. O'Connor, M. Griffith et al., “Application of massively parallel sequencing to microRNA profiling and discovery in human embryonic stem cells,” Genome Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 610–621, 2008.
- Abcam, http://www.abcam.com/index.html?pageconfig=resource&rid=11473.
- UCSC, http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/downloads.html.
- The European ribosomal RNA database, http://www.psb.ugent.be/rRNA/index.html.
- GtRNAdb, http://lowelab.ucsc.edu/GtRNAdb/.
- piRNABank, http://pirnabank.ibab.ac.in/.
- NONCODE, http://www.noncode.org/.
- L. P. Lim, M. E. Glasner, S. Yekta, C. B. Burge, and D. P. Bartel, “Vertebrate microRNA genes,” Science, vol. 299, no. 5612, p. 1540, 2003.
- R. J. Taft, E. A. Glazov, N. Cloonan et al., “Tiny RNAs associated with transcription start sites in animals,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 572–578, 2009.
- T. Watanabe, Y. Totoki, A. Toyoda et al., “Endogenous siRNAs from naturally formed dsRNAs regulate transcripts in mouse oocytes,” Nature, vol. 453, no. 7194, pp. 539–543, 2008.
- O. H. Tam, A. A. Aravin, P. Stein et al., “Pseudogene-derived small interfering RNAs regulate gene expression in mouse oocytes,” Nature, vol. 453, no. 7194, pp. 534–538, 2008.
- A. Azuma-Mukai, H. Oguri, T. Mituyama et al., “Characterization of endogenous human Argonautes and their miRNA partners in RNA silencing,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 23, pp. 7964–7969, 2008.
- I. Satzger, A. Mattern, U. Kuettler et al., “MicroRNA-15b represents an independent prognostic parameter and is correlated with tumor cell proliferation and apoptosis in malignant melanoma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 126, no. 11, pp. 2553–2562, 2010.
- A. Navarro, T. Diaz, A. Martinez et al., “Regulation of JAK2 by miR-135a: prognostic impact in classic Hodgkin lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 114, no. 14, pp. 2945–2951, 2009.
- S. F. Tavazoie, C. Alarcón, T. Oskarsson et al., “Endogenous human microRNAs that suppress breast cancer metastasis,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7175, pp. 147–152, 2008.
- Z. Földes-Papp, K. König, H. Studier et al., “Trafficking of mature miRNA-122 into the nucleus of live liver cells,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 569–578, 2009.
- J. C. Ritland Politz, E. M. Hogan, and T. Pederson, “MicroRNAs with a nucleolar location,” RNA, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1705–1715, 2009.
- J. S. Mattick, P. P. Amaral, M. E. Dinger, T. R. Mercer, and M. F. Mehler, “RNA regulation of epigenetic processes,” BioEssays, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2009.
- A. Bashirullah, R. L. Cooperstock, and H. D. Lipshitz, “Rna localization in development,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 67, pp. 335–394, 1998.
- A. A. Aravin, R. Sachidanandam, D. Bourc'his et al., “A piRNA pathway primed by individual transposons is linked to De Novo DNA methylation in mice,” Molecular Cell, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 785–799, 2008.