- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 267208, 7 pages
Thiolactosides: Scaffolds for the Synthesis of Glycolipids in Animal Cells
1Laboratory of Glyco-Organic Chemistry, The Noguchi Institute, 1-8-1 Kaga, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo 173-0004, Japan
2Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
Received 10 November 2010; Accepted 7 January 2011
Academic Editor: Yuan Chuan Lee
Copyright © 2011 Masako Mori et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. J. Witczak and J. M. Culhane, “Thiosugars: new perspectives regarding availability and potential biochemical and medicinal applications,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 237–244, 2005.
- F. Castaneda, A. Burse, W. Boland, and R. K. H. Kinne, “Thioglycosides as inhibitors of hSGLT1 and hSGLT2: potential therapeutic agents for the control of hyperglycemia in diabetes,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 131–139, 2007.
- Y. Suzuki, K. Sato, M. Kiso, and A. Hasegawa, “New ganglioside analogs that inhibit influenza virus sialidase,” Glycoconjugate Journal, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 349–356, 1990.
- K. Matsuoka, C. Takita, T. Koyama et al., “Novel linear polymers bearing thiosialosides as pendant-type epitopes for influenza neuraminidase inhibitors,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 17, no. 14, pp. 3826–3830, 2007.
- Y. Miura and T. Yamagata, “Glycosylation of lactosylceramide analogs in animal cells: amphipathic disaccharide primers for glycosphingolipid synthesis,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 241, no. 3, pp. 698–703, 1997.
- M. Ito and T. Yamagata, “A novel glycosphingolipid-degrading enzyme cleaves of the linkage between the oligosaccharide and ceramide of neutral and acidic glycosphingolipids,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 261, no. 30, pp. 14278–14282, 1986.
- M. Ito and T. Yamagata, “Purification and characterization of glycosphingolipid-specific endoglycosidases (endoglycoceramidases) from a mutant strain of Rhodococcus sp. Evidence for three molecular species of endoglycoceramidase with different specificities,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 264, no. 16, pp. 9510–9519, 1989.
- J. D. C. Codée, R. E. J. N. Litjens, L. J. Van Den Bos, H. S. Overkleeft, and G. A. Van Der Marel, “Thioglycosides in sequential glycosylation strategies,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 769–782, 2005.
- P. J. Garegg, “Thioglycosides as glycosyl donors in oligosaccharide synthesis,” Advances in Carbohydrate Chemistry and Biochemistry, no. 52, pp. 179–205, 1997.
- J. Krag, M. S. Christiansen, J. G. Petersen, and H. H. Jensen, “Direct chemical glycosylation with pentenyl- and thioglycoside donors of N-acetylglucosamine,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 345, no. 7, pp. 872–879, 2010.
- M. C. Z. Kasuya, L. X. Wang, Y. C. Lee et al., “Azido glycoside primer: a versatile building block for the biocombinatorial synthesis of glycosphingolipid analogues,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 329, no. 4, pp. 755–763, 2000.
- M. C. Z. Kasuya, M. Ikeda, K. Hashimoto, T. Sato, and K. Hatanaka, “Effect of anomeric linkage on the sialylation of glycosides by cells,” Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 705–715, 2005.
- H. Nakajima, Y. Miura, and T. Yamagata, “Glycosylation of amphipathic lactoside primers with consequent inhibition of endogenous glycosphingolipid synthesis,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 148–156, 1998.
- A. K. Sarkar, J. R. Brown, and J. D. Esko, “Synthesis and glycan priming activity of acetylated disaccharides,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 329, no. 2, pp. 287–300, 2000.
- H. H. Freeze, D. Sampath, and A. Varki, “α- and β-xylosides alter glycolipid synthesis in human melanoma and Chinese hamster ovary cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 3, pp. 1618–1627, 1993.
- A. K. Sarkar, K. S. Rostand, R. K. Jain, K. L. Matta, and J. D. Esko, “Fucosylation of disaccharide precursors of sialyl inhibit selectin-mediated cell adhesion,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 41, pp. 25608–25616, 1997.
- A. K. Sarkar, T. A. Fritz, W. H. Taylor, and J. D. Esko, “Disaccharide uptake and priming in animal cells: inhibition of sialyl Lewis X by acetylated naphthalenemethanol,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 3323–3327, 1995.
- A. Miyagawa, M. C. Z. Kasuya, and K. Hatanaka, “Alternative methods of globotrioside production using Vero cells: a microcarrier system procedure,” Chemistry Central Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, article 26, 2007.