- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 141034, 6 pages
Acetylation of Wood Flour from Four Wood Species Grown in Nigeria Using Vinegar and Acetic Anhydride
1Department of Chemistry, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Nigeria
2Department of Chemistry, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
3Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
Received 23 November 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editor: R. J. Linhardt
Copyright © 2013 Yakubu Azeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Supri and B. Y. Lim, “Effect of treated and untreated filler loading on the mechanical, morphological, and water absorption properties of water hyacinth fibers-low density polyethylene composites,” Journal of Physical Science, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 85–96, 2009.
- A. Yakubu, G. A. Olatunji, O. Sunday, and A. Olubunmi, “Ketene acetylated wood cellulose for industrial applications in wood-base and polymer industry,” Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 168–176, 2012.
- K. Sriroth, R. Chollakup, K. Piyachomkwan, and C. G. Oates, “Biodegradable Plastics from Cassava Starch in Thailand,” Department of Biotechnology, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand.
- B. K. Segerholm, R. E. Ibach, and M. E. P. Walinder, “Moisture Sorption of artificially aged wood-plastic composite,” BioResources, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1283–1293, 2012.
- R. M. Rowell, R. Simonson, S. Hess, D. V. Plackett, and E. Dunningham, “Acetyl distribution in acetylated whole wood and reactivity of isolated wood cell wall components to acetic anhydride,” Wood Fibre Science, vol. 26, no. 1, p. 11, 1994.
- C. R. Frihart, R. Brandon, and R. E. Ibach, “Selectivity of bonding for modified wood. USDA forest service, forest products laboratory,” in Proceedings of the 27th Annual Meeting of the Adhesion Society, Inco, From Molecules and Mechanic to Optimization and Design of Adhesive Joints, pp. 15329–18332, Adhesion Society, Madison, Wis, USA, 2004.
- S. A. Abdulkareem and B. Garba, “Novel application of polymer dissolution technique,” Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Science, vol. 20, pp. 1799–1485, 2005.
- V. M. Tuong and J. Li, “Effect of heat treatment on the change in color and dimensional stability of acacia hybrid wood,” BioResources, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1257–1267, 2010.
- B. Mohebby, “Application of ATR infrared spectroscopy in wood acetylation,” Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 2008.
- R. Bodîrlǎu and C. A. Teacǎ, “Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and thermal analysis of lignocellulose fillers treated with organic anhydrides,” Romanian Journal in Physics, vol. 54, no. 1-2, pp. 93–104, 2009.
- A. S. H. Callum, How does the chemical modification of wood provide protection against decay fungi, school of agriculture and forest science, Presentation for COST E22, University of Wales Bangor, 2002.
- M. Nasar, A. Emam, M. Sultan, and A. A. Abdel-Hakim, “Optimization of characterization of sugar cane bagasse liquefaction process,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 207–212, 2010.
- Y. Indrayan, S. Yusuf, Y. S. Hadi, D. Nandika, and R. E. Ibach, “Dry wood termite resistance of Acetylated and Polymerized Tributyltin Acrylate (TBTA) indonesian and USA wood,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Wood Science Symposium, Core University Program in the Field of Wood Science, November 2000.
- R. T. Morrison and R. N. Boyd, Organic Chemistry, 6th edition, 1961.
- M. O. Adebajo and R. L. Frost, “Infrared and 13C MAS nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic study of acetylation of cotton,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 60, no. 1-2, pp. 449–453, 2004.
- N. S. Cetin and N. Ozmen, “Acetylation of wood components and fourier transform infra-red spectroscopy studies,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 16, pp. 3091–3096, 2011.
- A. Sandak, J. Sandak, W. Pradzynski, M. Zborowska, and M. Negri, “Near infrared spectroscopy as a tool for characterization of wood surface,” Folia Forestalia Polonica, vol. 40, pp. 31–40, 2009.
- P. Sikorski, M. Wada, L. Heux, H. Shintani, and B. T. Stokke, “Crystal structure of cellulose triacetate I,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 4547–4553, 2004.
- J. George, S. S. Bhagawan, and S. Thomas, “Effects of environment on the properties of low-density polyethylene composites reinforced with pineapple-leaf fibre,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 1471–1485, 1998.
- Y. Azeh, G. A. Olatunji, and P. A. Mamza, “Scanning electron microscopy and kinetic studies of ketene-acetylated wood/cellulose high-density polyethylene blends,” International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry, vol. 2012, Article ID 456491, 7 pages, 2012.