- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 102179, 13 pages
Sustainable Algae Biodiesel Production in Cold Climates
Center for the Environment, Clarkson University, 8 Clarkson Aveue, Potsdam, NY 13699-5700, USA
Received 30 November 2009; Accepted 1 April 2010
Academic Editor: Michael K. Danquah
Copyright © 2010 Rudras Baliga and Susan E. Powers. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- DOE Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center, Biodiesel Production. October, 2009, http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/biodiesel_production.html.
- D. Pimentel, S. Williamson, C. E. Alexander, O. Gonzalez-Pagan, C. Kontak, and S. E. Mulkey, “Reducing energy inputs in the US food system,” Human Ecology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 459–471, 2008.
- C. U. Ugwu, H. Aoyagi, and H. Uchiyama, “Photobioreactors for mass cultivation of algae,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 4021–4028, 2008.
- A. Banerjee, R. Sharma, Y. Chisti, and U. C. Banerjee, “Botryococcus braunii: a renewable source of hydrocarbons and other chemicals,” Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 245–279, 2002.
- Y. Li, M. Horsman, N. Wu, C. Q. Lan, and N. Dubois-Calero, “Biofuels from microalgae,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 815–820, 2008.
- E. Ono and J. L. Cuello, “Feasibility assessment of microalgal carbon dioxide sequestration technology with photobioreactor and solar collector,” Biosystems Engineering, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 597–606, 2006.
- M. Olaizola, “Commercial development of microalgal biotechnology, from the test tube to the marketplace,” Biomolecular Engineering, vol. 20, no. 4–6, pp. 459–466, 2003.
- A. Richmond, “Microalgal biotechnology at the turn of the millenniumml: a personal view,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 12, no. 3–5, pp. 441–451, 2000.
- S. Hirata, M. Hayashitani, M. Taya, and S. Tone, “Carbon dioxide fixation in batch culture of Chlorella sp. using a photobioreactor with a sunlight-collection device,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 470–472, 1996.
- J. Sheehan, T. Dunahay, J. Benemannm, and P. Roessler, “A look back at the U.S. Department of Energy's Aquatic Species Program-Biodiesel from Algae,” Tech. Rep. TP-580-24190, NREL, Golden, Colo, USA, 1998, http://www.fuelandfiber.com/Athena/biodiesel_from_algae_es.pdf.
- H. Xu, X. Miao, and Q. Wu, “High quality biodiesel production from a microalga Chlorella protothecoides by heterotrophic growth in fermenters,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 499–507, 2006.
- E. Molina, J. Fernandez, F. G. Acién, and Y. Chisti, “Tubular photobioreactor design for algal cultures,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 113–131, 2001.
- Y. Chisti, “Biodiesel from microalgae,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 294–306, 2007.
- M. Wang, “Overview of GREET model development at Argonne,” in Proceedings of the GREET User Workshop, Center for Transportation Research, Argonne National Laboratory, Sacramento, Calif, USA, March 2008, http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/TA/468.pdf.
- A. Lavigne and S. E. Powers, “Evaluating fuel ethanol feedstocks from energy policy perspectives: a comparative energy assessment of corn and corn stover,” Energy Policy, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 5918–5930, 2007.
- J. Hill, S. Polasky, E. Nelson, et al., “Climate change and health costs of air emissions from biofuels and gasoline,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 2077–2082, 2009.
- CARB, “Detailed California-GREET Pathway for Biodiesel (Esterified Soyoil) from Midwest Soybeans, Ver. 2.1,” Tech. Rep., California Air Resources Board Stationary Source Division, 2009, http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/lcfs/022709lcfs_biodiesel.pdf.
- J. Sheehan, V. Camobreco, J. Duffield, M. Graboski, and H. Shapouri, “Life cycle inventory of biodiesel and petroleum diesel for use in an urban bus,” Tech. Rep. SR-580-24089, NREL, Golden, Colo, USA, 1998.
- E. Molina Grima, E.-H. Belarbi, F. G. A. Fernandez, A. R. Medina, and Y. Chisti, “Recovery of microalgal biomass and metabolites: process options and economics,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 20, no. 7-8, pp. 491–515, 2003.
- G. L. Rorrer and R. K. Mullikin, “Modeling and simulation of a tubular recycle photobioreactor for macroalgal cell suspension cultures,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 54, no. 15-16, pp. 3153–3162, 1999.
- M. Barbosa, Microalgal photobioreactors: scale up and optimization, Ph.D. Dissertation, van Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 2003.
- E. Molina Grima, F. G. A. Fernandez, F. G. Camacho, and Y. Chisti, “Photobioreactors: light regime, mass transfer, and scaleup,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 70, no. 1–3, pp. 231–247, 1999.
- F. G. A. Fernandez, F. G. Camacho, J. A. S. Perez, J. M. F. Sevilla, and E. M. Grima, “Modeling of biomass productivity in tubular photobioreactors for microalgal cultures: affects of dilution rate, tube diameter, and solar irradiance,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 605–616, 1998.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, “National solar radiation database 1991–2005 update: user's manual,” Tech. Rep. TP-581-41364, NREL, Golden, Colo, USA, 2007.
- L. A. Meireles, A. C. Guedes, C. R. Barbosa, J. L. Azevedo, J. P. Cunha, and F. X. Malcata, “On-line control of light intensity in a microalgal bioreactor using a novel automatic system,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 554–559, 2008.
- American Council for Energy Efficient Economy. Water Heating, January 2009, http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm.
- Noritz America Corporation. US Average Groundwater Temperature, November, 2008, http://www.noritz.com/u/US_ground_temperature%5B1%5D.pdf.
- G. Burgess, J. G. Fernandez-Velasco, and K. Lovegrove, “Materials, geometry, and net energy ratio of tubular photobioreactors for microalgal hydrogen production,” in Proceedings of the World Hydrogen Energy Conference (WHEC '06), vol. 16, Lyon, France, June 2006.
- OSRAM Sylvania Corp, “Photosynthetically Active Radiation Units,” October, 2009, http://openwetware.org/images/e/e8/Conversion_lux.pdf.
- M. H. Reddy, Application of algal culture technology for carbon dioxide and flue gas emission control, Master of Science Thesis, Arizona State University, 2002, http://www4.eas.asu.edu/pwest/Theses_Diss/Madhu_Thesis%20Algae%20Photosynthesis.pdf.
- K. L. Kadam, “Microalgae production from power plant flue gas: environmental implications on a life cycle basis,” Tech. Rep. TP-510-29417, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo, USA, 2001.
- K. L. Kadam, “Power plant flue gas as a source of for microalgae cultivation: economic impact of different process options,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. S505–S510, 1997.
- ACF Greenhouses, September, 2008, http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/heat-calc.shtml.
- Weather.com, Syracuse monthly average temperatures, November, 2008, http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/13201?from=month_bottomnav_driving.
- J. M. Lidell, “Extraction of triglycerides from microorganisms,” US Patent no. 6180376, 2001, http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6180376/description.html.
- E. M. Grima, E.-H. Belarbi, F. G. A. Fernandez, A. R. Medina, and Y. Chisti, “Recovery of microalgal biomass and metabolites: process options and economics,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 20, no. 7-8, pp. 491–515, 2003.
- S. Sanford, “Greenhouse unit heaters: types, placement, and efficiency,” 2008, http://learningstore.uwex.edu/pdf/A3784-15.pdf.
- R. Dominguez-Faus, S. E. Powers, J. G. Burken, and P. J. Alvarez, “The water footprint of biofuels: a drink or drive issue?” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 3005–3010, 2009.
- National Research Council, Water Implications of Biofuels Production in the United States, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- J. U. Grobbelaar, “Algal nutrition,” in Handbook of Microalgal Culture: Biotechnology and Applied Phycology, A. Richmond, Ed., Blackwell Publishing, Israel, 2004.
- DOE Energy Information Agency, New York Electricity Profile, 2007, http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/st_profiles/new_york.html.
- H. Huo, M. Wang, C. Bloyd, and V. Putsche, “Life-cycle assessment of energy and greenhouse gas effects of soybean-derived biodiesel and renewable fuels,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 750–754, 2008.
- Environmental Protection Agency. Health and Environmental Effects of Particulate Matter, December, 2008, http://www.epa.gov/ttncaaa1/naaqsfin/pmhealth.html.
- J. A. Duffie and W. A. Beckman, Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- B. Y. H. Liu and R. C. Jordan, “The interrelationship and characteristic distribution of direct, diffuse and total solar radiation,” Solar Energy, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1–19, 1960.
- Sunlit Design, Solar Hour Angle, October, 2008, http://www.sunlit-design.com/infosearch/hourangle.php.