- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 265603, 7 pages
Oxygen Absorption into Stirred Emulsions of n-Alkanes
Institut für Technische Chemie, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Hans-Sommer-Straße 10, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Received 21 March 2012; Revised 5 June 2012; Accepted 5 June 2012
Academic Editor: Jose Teixeira
Copyright © 2012 Thanh Hai Ngo and Adrian Schumpe. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. G. Clarke and L. D. C. Correia, “Oxygen transfer in hydrocarbon-aqueous dispersions and its applicability to alkane bioprocesses: a review,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 405–429, 2008.
- E. Dumont and H. Delmas, “Mass transfer enhancement of gas absorption in oil-in-water systems: a review,” Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 419–438, 2003.
- A. Kundu, E. Dumont, A. M. Duquenne, and H. Delmas, “Mass transfer characteristics in gas-liquid-liquid system,” Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 81, no. 3-4, pp. 640–646, 2003.
- T. L. Da Silva, A. Mendes, R. L. Mendes et al., “Effect of n-dodecane on Crypthecodinium cohnii fermentations and DHA production,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 408–416, 2006.
- D. R. Nielsen, A. J. Daugulis, and P. J. McLellan, “A novel method of simulating oxygen mass transfer in two-phase partitioning bioreactors,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 735–742, 2003.
- F. Yoshida, T. Yamane, and Y. Miyamoto, “Oxygen absorption into oil-in-water emulsions: a study on hydrocarbon fermentors,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 570–577, 1970.
- E. Dumont, Y. Andrès, and P. Le Cloirec, “Effect of organic solvents on oxygen mass transfer in multiphase systems: application to bioreactors in environmental protection,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 245–252, 2006.
- T. L. da Silva, V. Calado, N. Silva et al., “Effects of hydrocarbon additions on gas-liquid mass transfer coefficients in biphasic bioreactors,” Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 2006.
- S. Jia, G. Chen, P. Kahar, D. B. Choi, and M. Okabe, “Effect of soybean oil on oxygen transfer in the production of tetracycline with an airlift bioreactor,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 825–827, 1999.
- T. H. Ngo and A. Schumpe, “Absorption of CO2 into alkane/water emulsions in a stirred tank,” Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol. 45, 2012.
- H. J. O. Pinho and S. S. Alves, “Effect of spreading coefficient on gas-liquid mass transfer in gas-liquid-liquid dispersions in a stirred tank,” Chemical Engineering Communications, vol. 197, no. 12, pp. 1515–1526, 2010.
- I. T. M. Hassan and C. W. Robinson, “Oxygen transfer in mechanically agitated aqueous systems containing dispersed hydrocarbon,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 661–682, 1977.
- R. C. G. Oliveira, G. Gonzalez, and J. F. Oliveira, “Interfacial studies on dissolved gas flotation of oil droplets for water purification,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 127–135, 1999.
- D. Z. Wei and H. Liu, “Promotion of L-asparaginase production by using n-dodecane,” Biotechnology Techniques, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 129–131, 1998.
- J. L. Rols, J. S. Condoret, C. Fonade, and G. Goma, “Mechanism of enhanced oxygen transfer in fermentation using emulsified oxygen-vectors,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 427–435, 1990.
- R. S. Albal, Y. T. Shah, A. Schumpe, and N. L. Carr, “Mass transfer in multiphase agitated contactors,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 61–80, 1983.
- W. J. Bruining, G. E. H. Joosten, A. A. C. M. Beenackers, and H. Hofman, “Enhancement of gas-liquid mass transfer by a dispersed second liquid phae,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1873–1877, 1986.
- A. H. G. Cents, D. W. F. Brilman, and G. F. Versteeg, “Gas absorption in an agitated gas-liquid-liquid system,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 1075–1083, 2001.
- J. L. Rols, J. S. Condoret, C. Fonade, and G. Goma, “Modeling of oxygen transfer in water through emulsified organic liquids,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1869–1873, 1991.
- D. R. Lide and H. V. Kehiaian, CRC Handbook of Thermophysical and Thermochemical Data, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1994.
- K. H. Ngan, K. Ioannou, L. D. Rhyne, W. Wang, and P. Angeli, “A methodology for predicting phase inversion during liquid-liquid dispersed pipeline flow,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 318–324, 2009.
- S. Maaß, S. Wollny, A. Voigt, and M. Kraume, “Experimental comparison of measurement techniques for drop size distributions in liquid/liquid dispersions,” Experiments in Fluids, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 259–269, 2011.
- S. Maaß, J. Rojahn R. Hänsch, and M. Kraume, “Automated drop detection using image analysis for online particle size monitoring in multiphase systems,” Computers & Chemical Engineering, vol. 87, pp. 27–37, 2012.