- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 512803, 7 pages
Performance of a 1 kW Class Nafion-PTFE Composite Membrane Fuel Cell Stack
Centre For Fuel Cell Technology, ARC-International, IIT M Research Park, Phase I, 2nd Floor, No. 6, Kanagam Road, Taramani, Chennai 600113, India
Received 29 February 2012; Revised 16 May 2012; Accepted 19 May 2012
Academic Editor: Yoshinobu Tanaka
Copyright © 2012 Pattabiraman Krishnamurthy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Carrette, K. A. Friedrich, and U. Stimming, “Fuel cells: principles, types, fuels, and applications,” Fuel Cells, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 163–193, 2000.
- K. S. Jeong and B. S. Oh, “Fuel economy and life-cycle cost analysis of a fuel cell hybrid vehicle,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2002.
- K. V. Kordesch and G. R. Simader, Fuel Cells and Their Applications, VCH, Weinheim, Germany, Chapter 4, 1996.
- O. Savadogo, “Emerging membranes for electrochemical systems: (I) solid polymer electrolyte membranes for fuel cell systems,” Journal of New Materials for Electrochemical Systems, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 47–66, 1998.
- P. Costamagna and S. Srinivasan, “Quantum jumps in the PEMFC science and technology from the 1960s to the year 2000: part I. Fundamental scientific aspects,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 102, no. 1-2, pp. 242–252, 2001.
- B. Bahar, A. R. Hobson, J. A. Kolde, and D. Zuckerbrod, “Ultra-thin integral composite membrane,” 1996, US Patent 5547551.
- J. M. Gascoyne, G. A. Hards, J. Denton, and T. R. Ralph, “Composite membranes,” 1999, european patent 875524.
- H.-L. Lin, T. L. Yu, W. K. Chang, C. P. Cheng, C. R. Hu, and G. B. Jung, “Preparation of a low proton resistance PBI/PTFE composite membrane,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 481–487, 2007.
- K. M. Nouel and P. S. Fedkiw, “Nafion-based composite polymer electrolyte membranes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 43, no. 16-17, pp. 2381–2387, 1998.
- B. K. Dutta, D. Randolph, and S. K. Sikdar, “Thin and composite high-flux membranes of perfluorosulfonated ion-exchange polymer,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 54, no. 1-2, pp. 51–61, 1990.
- H. Tang, M. Pan, S. P. Jiang, X. Wang, and Y. Ruan, “Fabrication and characterization of PFSI/ePTFE composite proton exchange membranes of polymer electrolyte fuel cells,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 16, pp. 5304–5311, 2007.
- Z. Jie, T. Haolin, and P. Mu, “Fabrication and characterization of self-assembled Nafion-SiO2-ePTFE composite membrane of PEM fuel cell,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 312, no. 1-2, pp. 41–47, 2008.
- K. Pattabiraman and K. Ramya, “Phosphotungstic acid modified expanded PTFE based nafion composites,” Journal of New Materials for Electrochemical Systems, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 217–222, 2011.
- K. Ramya, G. Velayutham, C. K. Subramaniam, N. Rajalakshmi, and K. S. Dhathathreyan, “Effect of solvents on the characteristics of Nafion/PTFE composite membranes for fuel cell applications,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2006.
- H. L. Lin, T. L. Yu, K. S. Shen, and L. N. Huang, “Effect of Triton-X on the preparation of Nafion/PTFE composite membranes,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 237, no. 1-2, pp. 1–7, 2004.
- E. A. Cho, U.-S. Jeon, S. A. Hong, I.-H. Oh, and S.-G. Kang, “Performance of a 1 kW-class PEMFC stack using TiN-coated 316 stainless steel bipolar plates,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 142, no. 1-2, pp. 177–183, 2005.
- M. Wang, K.-D. Woo, D. K. Kim, X. Zhu, and S. Sui, “Development of a kilowatt class PEMFC stack using Au-coated LF11 Al alloy bipolar plates,” Metals and Materials International, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 345–350, 2006.
- X. Li, C. C. Ke, S. G. Qu, J. Li, Z. G. Shao, and B. L. Yi, http://www.intechopen.com/download/pdf/pdfs_id/20373.
- G. C. Bandlamudi, M. Saborni, P. Beckhaus, F. Mahlendorf, and A. Heinzel, “PBI/H3PO4 gel based polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells under the influence of reformates,” Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 0145011–0145012, 2010.
- P. Mocotéguy, B. Ludwig, J. Scholta, Y. Nedellec, D. J. Jones, and J. Rozière, “Long-term testing in dynamic mode of HT-PEMFC H3PO 4/PBI celtec-P based membrane electrode assemblies for micro-CHP applications,” Fuel Cells, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 299–311, 2010.
- L. J. Bonville, H. R. Kunz, Y. Song et al., “Development and demonstration of a higher temperature PEM fuel cell stack,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 107–112, 2005.
- L. N. Huang, L. C. Chen, T. L. Yu, and H. L. Lin, “Nafion/PTFE/silicate composite membranes for direct methanol fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 1096–1105, 2006.
- A. Gruger, A. Régis, T. Schmatko, and P. Colomban, “Nanostructure of Nafion membranes at different states of hydration: an IR and Raman study,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 215–225, 2001.
- E. Endoh, S. Terazono, H. Widjaja, and Y. Takimoto, “Degradation study of MEA for PEMFCs under low humidity conditions,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. A209–A211, 2004.
- V. Ramani, H. R. Kunz, and J. M. Fenton, “Effect of particle size reduction on the conductivity of Nafion/phosphotungstic acid composite membranes,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 266, no. 1-2, pp. 110–114, 2005.
- J. Healy, C. Hayden, T. Xie et al., “Aspects of the chemical degradation of PFSA ionomers used in PEM fuel cells,” Fuel Cells, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 302–308, 2005.
- G. J. M. Janssen, E. F. Sitters, and A. Pfrang, “Proton-exchange-membrane fuel cells durability evaluated by load-on/off cycling,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 501–509, 2009.