- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 749760, 13 pages
Zwietering's Equation for the Suspension of Porous Particles and the Use of Curved Blade Impellers
Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 13 January 2012; Revised 17 March 2012; Accepted 22 March 2012
Academic Editor: Shunsuke Hashimoto
Copyright © 2012 S. Ibrahim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Kolar, “Studies on mixing X: suspending solids particles in liquids by means of mechanical agitation,” Collection of Czechoslovak Chemical Communications, vol. 26, pp. 613–627, 1961.
- K. T. K. Shimizua, K. Takahashi, E. Suzukia, and T. Nomura, “Effect of baffle geometries on crystal size distribution of aluminum potassium sulfate in a seeded batch crystallizer,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 197, no. 4, pp. 921–926, 1999.
- J. Wu, L. Graham, S. Wang, and R. Parthasarathy, “Energy efficient slurry holding and transport,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 705–712, 2010.
- D. Chapple, S. M. Kresta, A. Wall, and A. Afacan, “The effect of impeller and tank geometry on power number for a pitched blade turbine,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 364–372, 2002.
- M. Greaves and Y. Y. Loh, “Power consumption effect in three phase mixing,” ICHEME Symposium Series, vol. 89, pp. 69–96, 1984.
- A. W. Nienow, M. Konno, and W. Bujalski, “Studies on three-phase mixing: a review and recent results,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 1986.
- C. M. Chapman, A. W. Nienow, M. Cooke, and J. C. Middleton, “Particle-gas-liquid mixing in stirred vessels part III: three phase mixing,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 167–181, 1983.
- N. Dohi, T. Takahashi, K. Minekawa, and Y. Kawase, “Power consumption and solid suspension performance of large-scale impellers in gas-liquid-solid three-phase stirred tank reactors,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 97, no. 2-3, pp. 103–114, 2004.
- S. Ibrahim and A. W. Nienow, “The effect of viscosity on particle suspension in an aerated stirred vessel with different impellers and bases,” Chemical Engineering Communications, vol. 197, no. 4, pp. 434–454, 2010.
- A. Brucato, A. Cipollina, G. Micale, F. Scargiali, and A. Tamburini, “Particle suspension in top-covered unbaffled tanks,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 3001–3008, 2010.
- G. Baldi, R. Conti, and E. Alaria, “Complete suspension of particles in mechanically agitated vessels,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 1978.
- M. W. Chudacek, “Relationships between solids suspension criteria, mechanism of suspension, tank geometry, and scale-up parameters in stirred tanks,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Fundamentals, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 391–401, 1986.
- M. W. Chudacek, “Solids suspension behaviour in profiled bottom and flat bottom mixing tanks,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 385–392, 1985.
- R. Conti, S. Sicardi, and V. Specchia, “Effect of the stirrer clearance on particle suspension in agitated vessels,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 247–249, 1981.
- F. Rieger, “Effect of particle content on agitator speed for off-bottom suspension,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2000.
- D. J. Gray, “Impeller clearance effect on off-bottom particle suspension in agitated vessels,” Chemical Engineering Communications, vol. 61, pp. 152–158, 1987.
- S. Ibrahim and A. W. Nienow, “Particle suspension in the turbulent regime: the effect of impeller type and impeller/vessel configuration,” Trans IChemE, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 679–688, 1996.
- S. Ibrahim and A. W. Nienow, “Suspension of microcarriers for cell culture with axial flow impellers,” Transactions of the Institutions of Chemical Engineers A, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 1082–1088, 2004.
- S. Ibrahim and A. W. Nienow, “Comparing impeller performance for solid-suspension in the transitional flow regime with Newtonian fluids,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 721–727, 1999.
- J. Wu, Y. Zhu, and L. Pullum, “Impeller geometry effect on velocity and solids suspension,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 989–997, 2001.
- P. M. Armenante and E. U. Nagamine, “Effect of low off-bottom impeller clearance on the minimum agitation speed for complete suspension of solids in stirred tanks,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1757–1775, 1998.
- T. N. Zwietering, “Suspending of solid particles in liquid by agitators,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 244–253, 1958.
- J. Wu, Y. G. Zhu, and L. Pullum, “Suspension of high concentration slurry,” AIChE Journal, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1349–1352, 2002.