- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 750162, 16 pages
The Effects of Mixing, Reaction Rates, and Stoichiometry on Yield for Mixing Sensitive Reactions—Part I: Model Development
1Department of Chemical & Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, 7th Floor, Electrical & Computer Engineering Research Facility (ECERF), 9107-116 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2V4
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta, 4-9 Mechanical Engineering Building, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2G8
Received 29 February 2012; Accepted 6 April 2012
Academic Editor: Shunsuke Hashimoto
Copyright © 2012 Syed Imran A. Shah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Baldyga and J. R. Bourne, Turbulent Mixing and Chemical Reactions, Wiley, Chichester, UK, 1999.
- G. K. Patterson, E. L. Paul, S. M. Kresta, and A. W. Etchells III, “Mixing and chemical reactions,” in Handbook of Industrial Mixing—Science and Practice, E. L. Paul, V. A. Atiemo-Obeng, and S. M. Kresta, Eds., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2004.
- J. Baldyga and J. R. Bourne, “Interactions between mixing on various scales in stirred tank reactors,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1839–1848, 1992.
- J. Badyga, J. R. Bourne, and S. J. Hearn, “Interaction between chemical reactions and mixing on various scales,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 457–466, 1997.
- S. M. Cox, M. J. Clifford, and E. P. L. Roberts, “A two-stage reaction with initially separated reactants,” Physica A, vol. 256, no. 1-2, pp. 65–86, 1998.
- M. J. Clifford, E. P. L. Roberts, and S. M. Cox, “The influence of segregation on the yield for a series-parallel reaction,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 1791–1801, 1998.
- S. M. Cox, “Chaotic mixing of a competitive-consecutive reaction,” Physica D, vol. 199, no. 3-4, pp. 369–386, 2004.
- P. V. Danckwerts, “The definition and measurement of some characteristics of mixtures,” Applied Scientific Research, Section A, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 279–296, 1952.
- P. V. Danckwerts, “The effect of incomplete mixing on homogeneous reactions,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 8, no. 1-2, pp. 93–102, 1958.
- O. Levenspiel, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1972.
- S. Bhattacharya, Performance improvement of stirred tank reactors with surface feed [Ph.D. thesis], University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, 2005.
- J. Baldyga and R. Pohorecki, “Turbulent micromixing in chemical reactors—a review,” The Chemical Engineering Journal and The Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 183–195, 1995.
- J. Villermaux and L. Falk, “A generalized mixing model for initial contacting of reactive fluids,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 49, no. 24, pp. 5127–5140, 1994.
- R. O. Fox, “On the relationship between Lagrangian micromixing models and computational fluid dynamics,” Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 521–535, 1998.
- R. O. Fox, Computational Models for Turbulent Reacting Flows, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2003.
- F. J. Muzzio and M. Liu, “Chemical reactions in chaotic flows,” Chemical Engineering Journal and the Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 117–127, 1996.
- M. J. Clifford, “A Gaussian model for reaction and diffusion in a lamellar structure,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 303–310, 1999.
- M. J. Clifford and S. M. Cox, “A simple model for a two-stage chemical reaction with diffusion,” IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 307–318, 1999.
- M. J. Clifford, S. M. Cox, and E. P. L. Roberts, “Lamellar modelling of reaction, diffusion and mixing in a two-dimensional flow,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 1998.
- M. J. Clifford, S. M. Cox, and E. P. L. Roberts, “Reaction and diffusion in a lamellar structure: the effect of the lamellar arrangement upon yield,” Physica A, vol. 262, no. 3-4, pp. 294–306, 1999.
- M. J. Clifford, S. M. Cox, and E. P. L. Roberts, “The influence of a lamellar structure upon the yield of a chemical reaction,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 371–377, 2000.
- I. Hecht and H. Taitelbaum, “Perturbation analysis for competing reactions with initially separated components,” Physical Review E, vol. 74, no. 1, Article ID 012101, 2006.
- M. Sinder, “Theory for competing reactions with initially separated components,” Physical Review E, vol. 65, no. 3, Article ID 037104, pp. 037104/1–037104/4, 2002.
- M. Sinder, J. Pelleg, V. Sokolovsky, and V. Meerovich, “Competing reactions with initially separated components in the asymptotic time region,” Physical Review E, vol. 68, no. 2, Article ID 022101, 4 pages, 2003.
- H. Taitelbaum, B. Vilensky, A. Lin, A. Yen, Y. E. L. Koo, and R. Kopelman, “Competing reactions with initially separated components,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 1640–1643, 1996.
- S. Cornell and M. Droz, “Exotic reaction fronts in the steady state,” Physica D, vol. 103, no. 1–4, pp. 348–356, 1997.
- S. M. Cox and M. D. Finn, “Behavior of the reaction front between initially segregated species in a two-stage reaction,” Physical Review E, vol. 63, no. 5 I, pp. 511021–511027, 2001.
- H. S. Fogler, Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 1999.
- S. I. A. Shah, L. W. Kostiuk, and S. M. Kresta, “The effects of mixing, reaction rates and stoichiometry on yield for mixing sensitive reactions, Part II: design protocols,” International Journal of Chemical Engineering. In press.