- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 786982, 13 pages
Numerical Studies of the Gas-Solid Hydrodynamics at High Temperature in the Riser of a Bench-Scale Circulating Fluidized Bed
1School of Chemical Engineering, University of Campinas, 500 Albert Einstein Avenue, Campinas 13083-970, SP, Brazil
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Federal University of Technology of Parana, Monteiro Lobato Avenue, 84016-210 Ponta Grossa, PR, Brazil
3Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Campinas, 200 Mendeleyev Avenue, Campinas, 13083-970, SP, Brazil
Received 8 May 2012; Revised 3 July 2012; Accepted 10 July 2012
Academic Editor: Adrian Schumpe
Copyright © 2012 Maximilian J. Hodapp et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Hartge, Y. Li, and J. Werther, “Flow structure in fast fluidized beds,” in Fluidization V, K. Ostergaard and A. Sorensen, Eds., pp. 345–352, Engineering Foundation, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- P. Basu, Combustion and Gasification in Fluidized Beds, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- T. Knowlton, “Nonmechanical solids feed and recycle devices for circulating fluidized beds,” in Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology II, P. Basu and J. Large, Eds., pp. 31–41, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1988.
- X. Wang, M. Rhodes, and B. Gibbs, “Solids flux distribution in a CFB riser operating at elevated temperatures,” in Fluidization VIII, F. Large and C. Laguérie, Eds., pp. 236–244, Engineering Foundation, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- J. F. Davidson, “Circulating fluidised bed hydrodynamics,” Powder Technology, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 249–260, 2000.
- H. Tong, H. Li, X. Lu, and Q. Zheng, “Hydrodynamic modeling of the L-valve,” Powder Technology, vol. 129, no. 1–3, pp. 8–14, 2003.
- A. Gungor and N. Eskin, “Effects of operational parameters on emission performance and combustion efficiency in small-scale CFBCs,” Journal of the Chinese Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 541–556, 2008.
- M. J. Rhodes and P. Laussmann, “Study of the pressure balance around the loop of a circulating fluidized bed,” Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 625–630, 1992.
- M. L. Mastellone and U. Aren, “The effect of particle size and density on solids distribution along the riser of a circulating fluidized bed,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 54, no. 22, pp. 5383–5391, 1999.
- S. W. Kim and S. D. Kim, “Effects of particle properties on solids recycle in loop-seal of a circulating fluidized bed,” Powder Technology, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 76–84, 2002.
- X. Qi, J. Zhu, and W. Huang, “Hydrodynamic similarity in circulating fluidized bed risers,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 63, no. 23, pp. 5613–5625, 2008.
- Y. Chong, D. O'Dea, L. Leung, and D. Nicklin, “Design of standpipe and non-mechanical V-valve for a circulating fluidized bed,” in Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology II, P. Basu and J. Large, Eds., pp. 493–500, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1988.
- X. L. Yin, C. Z. Wu, S. P. Zheng, and Y. Chen, “Design and operation of a CFB gasification and power generation system for rice husk,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 181–187, 2002.
- R. Dewil, J. Baeyens, and B. Caerts, “CFB cyclones at high temperature: operational results and design assessment,” Particuology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 149–156, 2008.
- G. C. Lopes, L. M. Rosa, M. Mori, J. R. Nunhez, and W. P. Martignoni, “Three-dimensional modeling of fluid catalytic cracking industrial riser flow and reactions,” Computers and Chemical Engineering, vol. 35, pp. 2159–2168, 2011.
- L. Yu, J. Lu, X. Zhang, and S. Zhang, “Numerical simulation of the bubbling fluidized bed coal gasification by the kinetic theory of granular flow (KTGF),” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 5-6, pp. 722–734, 2007.
- D. Gidaspow, Multiphase Flow and Fluidization, Academic Press, London, UK, 1994.
- B. G. M. van Wachen, Derivation, implementation and validation of computer simulation models for gas-solid fluidized beds [Ph.D. thesis], Delft University, 1998.
- S. Benyahia, M. Syamlal, and T. J. O'Brien, “Particle Technology and Fluidization. Study of the ability of multiphase continuum models to predict core-annulus flow,” AIChE Journal, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 2549–2568, 2007.
- J. C. S. C. Bastos, L. M. Rosa, M. Mori, F. Marini, and W. P. Martignoni, “Modelling and simulation of a gas-solids dispersion flow in a high-flux circulating fluidized bed (HFCFB) riser,” Catalysis Today, vol. 130, no. 2–4, pp. 462–470, 2008.
- V. Jiradilok, D. Gidaspow, S. Damronglerd, W. J. Koves, and R. Mostofi, “Kinetic theory based CFD simulation of turbulent fluidization of FCC particles in a riser,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 61, no. 17, pp. 5544–5559, 2006.
- X. Lan, C. Xu, G. Wang, L. Wu, and J. Gao, “CFD modeling of gas-solid flow and cracking reaction in two-stage riser FCC reactors,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 64, no. 17, pp. 3847–3858, 2009.
- X. Wang, B. Jin, W. Zhong, and R. Xiao, “Modeling on the hydrodynamics of a high-flux circulating fluidized bed with geldart group a particles by kinetic theory of granular flow,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 1242–1259, 2010.
- A. Samuelsberg and B. H. Hjertager, “An experimental and numerical study of flow patterns in a circulating fluidized bed reactor,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 575–591, 1996.
- J. J. Ramirez-Behainne, Assessment of mercury emissions from Brazilian coal combustion in fast fluidized bed [Ph.D. thesis], UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil, 2007.
- W. C. Yang, “Modification and re-interpretation of Geldart’s classification of powders,” Powder Technology, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 69–74, 2007.
- R. I. Hory, J. J. Ramirez-Behainne, A. A. B. Pécora, and L. Goldstein Jr, “An empirical model to predict the mass flow rate of solids in a high temperature circulating fluidized bed system,” in Proceedings of the 11th Brazilian Congress of Thermal Sciences and Engineering, ENCIT, 2006.
- C. Y. Wen and Y. U. Yu, “A generalized method for predicting the minimum fluidization velocity,” American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, vol. 12, pp. 610–612, 1966.
- D. Bai, Y. Jin, and Z. Yu, “Flow regimes in circulating fluidized beds,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 307–313, 1993.
- D. Kunii and O. Levenspiel, “Entrainment of solids from fluidized beds I. Hold-up of solids in the freeboard II. Operation of fast fluidized beds,” Powder Technology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 193–206, 1990.
- D. Kunii and O. Levenspiel, “Flow modeling of fast fluidized beds,” in Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology III, P. Basu, M. Hasatani, and M. Horio, Eds., pp. 91–98, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1991.
- W. C. Yang, “Criteria for choking in vertical pneumatic conveying lines,” Powder Technology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 143–150, 1983.
- J. Perales, T. Coll, M. Llop, L. Puigjaner, J. Arnaldos, and J. Casal, “On the transition from bubbling to fast fluidization regimes,” in Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology III, P. Basu, M. Hasatani, and M. Horio, Eds., pp. 73–78, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1991.
- J. J. Ramirez-Behainne and G. Martins, “A semi-empirical model to calculate the inert solid inventory and the main dimensions of a CFB reactor aiming biomass thermochemical conversion,” in Proceedings of the 20th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering, 2009.
- E. Muschelknautz and V. Greif, “Cyclone and other gas-solid separators,” in Circulating Fluidized Beds, J. Grace, A. Avidan, and T. Knowlton, Eds., pp. 181–213, Blackie Academic & Professional, London, UK, 1997.
- T. Knowlton, “Standpipes and return systems,” in Circulating Fluidized Beds, J. Grace, A. Avidan, and T. Knowlton, Eds., pp. 214–260, Blackie Academic & Professional, London, UK, 1997.
- D. Geldart and P. Jones, “The behaviour of L-valves with granular powders,” Powder Technology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 163–174, 1991.
- S. Ogawa, A. Umemura, and N. Oshima, “On the equations of fully fluidized granular materials,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 483–493, 1980.
- C. K. K. Lun, S. B. Savage, D. J. Jeffrey, and N. Chepurniy, “Kinetic theories for granular flow: inelastic particles in Couette flow and slightly inelastic particles in a general flowfield,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 140, pp. 223–256, 1984.
- W. E. Ranz and W. R. Marshall Jr., “Evaporation and drops—part I and II,” Chemical Engineering Prog, vol. 48, pp. 173–180, 1952.
- S. Benyahia, H. Arastoopour, T. M. Knowlton, and H. Massah, “Simulation of particles and gas flow behavior in the riser section of a circulating fluidized bed using the kinetic theory approach for the particulate phase,” Powder Technology, vol. 112, no. 1-2, pp. 24–33, 2000.
- S. B. R. Karri and T. M. Knowlton, “A comparison of annulus solids flow direction and radial solids mass flux profiles at low and high mass fluxes in a riser,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Circulating Fluidized Beds, pp. 71–76, 1999.