- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 838965, 13 pages
Analysis of Hydrodynamics of Fluid Flow on Corrugated Sheets of Packing
Berlin Institute of Technology, Straß des 17 Juni 135 Berlin, Germany
Received 10 February 2012; Revised 7 May 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Sreepriya Vedantam
Copyright © 2012 Kumar Subramanian and Günter Wozny. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Kister, Distillation Design, McGraw-Hill, 1992.
- S. J. Luo, W. Y. Fei, X. Y. Song, and H. Z. Li, “Effect of channel opening angle on the performance of structured packings,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 227–234, 2008.
- Ž. Olujić, A. F. Seibert, and J. R. Fair, “Influence of corrugation geometry on the performance of structured packings: an experimental study,” Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 335–342, 2000.
- J. T. Davies and K. V. Warner, “The effect of large-scale roughness in promoting gas absorption,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 231–240, 1969.
- L. Zhao and R. L. Cerro, “Experimental characterization of viscous film flows over complex surfaces,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 495–516, 1992.
- S. Shetty and R. L. Cerro, “Flow of a thin fiom over a periodic surface,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1013–1027, 1993.
- S. Shetty and R. L. Cerro, “Spreading of a liquid point source over a complex surface,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 626–635, 1998.
- B. Mahr, “Numerisches Berechnen und tomographisches Messen zwei-phasiger Strömugsfelder in geordneten Schichtungen,” in Institut für Verfahrenstechnik, Leibnitz Universität Hannover, Hanover, Germany, 2007.
- B. Mahr and D. Mewes, “X-ray tomographic visualization of liquid spreading in structured packings using contrast-agent tracer,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Heat Transfer Conference (IHTC '06), Sydney, Australia, 2006.
- J. U. Repke, I. Ausner, S. Paschke, A. Hoffmann, and G. Wozny, “On the track to understanding three phases in one tower,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 50–58, 2007.
- A. Hoffmann, I. Ausner, J. U. Repke, and G. Wozny, “Fluid dynamics in multiphase distillation processes in packed towers,” Computers and Chemical Engineering, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1433–1437, 2005.
- A. Hoffmann, I. Ausner, J. U. Repke, and G. Wozny, “Detailed investigation of multiphase (gas-liquid and gas-liquid-liquid) flow behaviour on inclined plates,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 147–154, 2006.
- Y. Xu, S. Paschke, J. U. Repke, J. Yuan, and G. Wozny, “Portraying the countercurrent flow on packings by three-dimensional computational fluid dynamics simulations,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1445–1452, 2008.
- Y. Haroun, D. Legendre, and L. Raynal, “Direct numerical simulation of reactive absorption in gas-liquid flow on structured packing using interface capturing method,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 351–356, 2010.
- Y. Haroun, D. Legendre, and L. Raynal, “Volume of fluid method for interfacial reactive mass transfer: application to stable liquid film,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 2896–2909, 2010.
- J. M. van Baten and R. Krishna, “Gas and liquid phase mass transfer within KATAPAK-S structures studied using CFD simulations,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1531–1536, 2002.
- A. Viva, S. Aferka, D. Toye, P. Marchot, M. Crine, and E. Brunazzi, “Determination of liquid hold-up and flow distribution inside modular catalytic structured packings,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 1414–1426, 2011.
- Ansys Fluent 12.0 User Guide, 2009.
- J. U. Brackbill, “A continuum method for modeling surface tension,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 335–354, 1992.
- K. Subramanian, S. Paschke, J. U. Repke, and G. Wozny, “Drag force modelling in CFD simulation to gain insight of packed columns,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Chemical and Process Engineering, (ICheaP '09), pp. 561–566, May 2009.
- Ansys ICEM CFD Manual 12.1, 2009.
- S. Paschke, Experimentelle Analyse ein- und zweiphasiger Filmströmungen auf glatten und strukturierten Oberflächen, TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- A. Viva, S. Aferka, E. Brunazzi, P. Marchot, M. Crine, and D. Toye, “Processing of X-ray tomographic images: a procedure adapted for the analysis of phase distribution in MellapakPlus 752.Y and Katapak-SP packings,” Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 279–290, 2011.