- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 920608, 9 pages
A Comparison of Nannochloropsis salina Growth Performance in Two Outdoor Pond Designs: Conventional Raceways versus the ARID Pond with Superior Temperature Management
1Marine Sciences Laboratory, Coastal Biogeochemistry Group, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Sequim, WA 98382, USA
2Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
3Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
4College of Agriculture, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
5Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Received 3 December 2011; Revised 11 March 2012; Accepted 14 March 2012
Academic Editor: Jose C. Merchuk
Copyright © 2012 Braden Crowe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [19 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Stamatia Bellou, and George Aggelis, “Biochemical activities in Chlorella sp. and Nannochloropsis salina during lipid and sugar synthesis in a lab-scale open pond simulating reactor,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 318–329, 2012.
- Anita Kirrolia, Narsi R. Bishnoi, and Rajesh Singh, “Response surface methodology as a decision-making tool for optimization of culture conditions of green microalgae Chlorella spp. for biodiesel production,” Annals of Microbiology, 2013.
- Kun Zhang, Bingjie Sun, Xingxing She, Fengmin Zhao, Youfu Cao, Difeng Ren, and Jun Lu, “Lipid production and composition of fatty acids in Chlorella vulgaris cultured using different methods: photoautotrophic, heterotrophic, and pure and mixed conditions,” Annals of Microbiology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 1239–1246, 2014.
- Erik R. Venteris, Richard L. Skaggs, Mark S. Wigmosta, and Andre M. Coleman, “Regional algal biofuel production potential in the coterminous United States as affected by resource availability trade-offs,” Algal Research, 2014.
- Giuseppe Olivieri, Piero Salatino, and Antonio Marzocchella, “Advances in photobioreactors for intensive microalgal production: configurations, operating strategies and applications,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 178–195, 2014.
- Steven Archambault, Cara Meghan Starbuck Downes, Wayne Van Voorhies, Christopher A. Erickson, and Peter Lammers, “Nannochloropsis sp algae for use as biofuel: Analyzing a translog production function using data from multiple sites in the southwestern United States,” Algal Research-Biomass Biofuels And Bioproducts, vol. 6, pp. 124–131, 2014.
- James W. Richardson, Myriah D. Johnson, Xuezhi Zhang, Peter Zemke, Wei Chen, and Qiang Hu, “A financial assessment of two alternative cultivation systems and their contributions to algae biofuel economic viability,” Algal Research, 2014.
- Everett Eustance, Joshua T. Wray, Shahrzad Badvipour, and Milton R. Sommerfeld, “The effects of cultivation depth, areal density, and nutrient level on lipid accumulation of Scenedesmus acutus in outdoor raceway ponds,” Journal of Applied Phycology, 2015.
- Everett Eustance, Shahrzad Badvipour, Joshua T. Wray, and Milton R. Sommerfeld, “Biomass productivity of two Scenedesmus strains cultivated semi-continuously in outdoor raceway ponds and flat-panel photobioreactors,” Journal of Applied Phycology, 2015.
- Jun Cheng, Zongbo Yang, Yun Huang, Lei Huang, Lizuo Hu, Donghua Xu, Junhu Zhou, and Kefa Cen, “Improving growth rate of microalgae in a 1191m2 raceway pond to fix CO2 from flue gas in a coal-fired power plant,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 190, pp. 235–241, 2015.
- Josué Miguel Heinrich, and Horacio Antonio Irazoqui, “ Kinetic Model of Photoautotrophic Growth of Chlorella sp. Microalga, Isolated from the Setúbal Lagoon ,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2015.
- A.K. Azad, M.G. Rasul, M.M.K. Khan, Subhash C. Sharma, and M.A. Hazrat, “Prospect of biofuels as an alternative transport fuel in Australia,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 43, pp. 331–351, 2015.
- A. San Pedro, C.V. González-López, F.G. Acién, and E. Molina-Grima, “Outdoor pilot production of Nannochloropsis gaditana: Influence of culture parameters and lipid production rates in raceway ponds,” Algal Research, vol. 8, pp. 205–213, 2015.
- Scott J. Edmundson, and Michael H. Huesemann, “The dark side of algae cultivation: Characterizing night biomass loss in three photosynthetic algae, Chlorella sorokiniana, Nannochloropsis salina and Picochlorum sp.,” Algal Research, vol. 12, pp. 470–476, 2015.
- Jun Wang, Theresa Rosov, Pierre Wensel, John McGowen, and Wayne R. Curtis, “A preliminary implementation of metabolic-based pH control to reduce CO2 usage in outdoor flat-panel photobioreactor cultivation of Nannochloropsis oceanica microalgae,” Algal Research, vol. 18, pp. 288–295, 2016.
- Tim Granata, “Dependency of Microalgal Production on Biomass and the Relationship to Yield and Bioreactor Scale-up for Biofuels: a Statistical Analysis of 60+ Years of Algal Bioreactor Data,” BioEnergy Research, 2016.
- Qiaoning He, Haijian Yang, and Chunxiang Hu, “Culture modes and financial evaluation of two oleaginous microalgae for biodiesel production in desert area with open raceway pond,” Bioresource Technology, 2016.
- B.S.A.F Brasil, F.C.P. Silva, and F.G. Siqueira, “Microalgae biorefineries: The Brazilian scenario in perspective,” New Biotechnology, 2016.
- M. Huesemann, B. Crowe, P. Waller, A. Chavis, S. Hobbs, S. Edmundson, and M. Wigmosta, “A validated model to predict microalgae growth in outdoor pond cultures subjected to fluctuating light intensities and water temperatures,” Algal Research, vol. 13, pp. 195–206, 2016.