- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 920608, 9 pages
A Comparison of Nannochloropsis salina Growth Performance in Two Outdoor Pond Designs: Conventional Raceways versus the ARID Pond with Superior Temperature Management
1Marine Sciences Laboratory, Coastal Biogeochemistry Group, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Sequim, WA 98382, USA
2Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
3Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
4College of Agriculture, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
5Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Received 3 December 2011; Revised 11 March 2012; Accepted 14 March 2012
Academic Editor: Jose C. Merchuk
Copyright © 2012 Braden Crowe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Oswald, “Current status of algae from wastes,” Chemical Engineering Symposium Series, vol. 65, pp. 87–92, 1969.
- D. Chaumont, “Biotechnology of algal biomass production: a review of systems for outdoor mass culture,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 593–604, 1993.
- E. Becker, Microalgae. Biotechnology and Microbiology, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1994.
- C. H. Su, L. J. Chien, J. Gomes et al., “Factors affecting lipid accumulation by Nannochloropsis oculata in a two-stage cultivation process,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 903–908, 2011.
- B. Pushparaj, E. Pelosi, M. R. Tredici, E. Pinzani, and R. Materassi, “An integrated culture system for outdoor production of microalgae and cyanobacteria,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 1997.
- R. Ryan, P. Waller, M. Kacira, and P. Li, “Aquaculture raceway integrated design,” US Patent 0023360 A1, 2011.
- P. Waller, R. Ryan, M. Kacira, and P. Li, “The algae Raceway integrated design for optimal temperature management,” Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy. In press.
- I. Setlik, S. Veladimir, and I. Malek, “Dual purpose open circulation units for large scale culture of algae in temperature zones. I. Basic design considerations and scheme for pilot plant,” Algological Studies, vol. 1, pp. 111–164, 1970.
- R. R. Guillard and J. H. Ryther, “Studies of marine planktonic diatoms. I. Cyclotella nana Hustedt, and Detonula confervacea (cleve),” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 8, pp. 229–239, 1962.
- M. H. Huesemann, T. S. Hausmann, R. Bartha et al., “Biomass productivities in wild type and pigment mutant of Cyclotella sp. (Diatom),” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 507–526, 2009.
- Product no. 2106103, http://www.hach.com/.
- Product no. 2106103, http://www.hach.com/.
- E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer, “A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification.,” Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 911–917, 1959.
- W. Christie and X. Han, Lipid Analysis—Isolation, Separation, Identification and Lipidomic Analysis, The Oily Press, Bridgwater, UK, 2010.
- February 2011 climate report for Tucson, National Weather Service Forecast Office, Tucson AZ, 2011, http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/climate/monthly/feb11.php.
- S. Boussiba, A. Vonshak, Z. Cohen, Y. Avissar, and A. Richmond, “Lipid and biomass production by the halotolerant microalga Nannochloropsis salina,” Biomass, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 1987.
- J. van Wagenen, S. Hobbs, P. Hooke, B. Crowe, and M. Huesemann, “Effect of light intensity and temperature on growth rate and fatty acid composistion in Nannochloropsis salina,” Energies, no. 3, pp. 731–740.
- M. Borowitza, “Culturing microalgae in outdoor ponds,” in Algal Culturing Techniques, R. Andersen, Ed., pp. 205–218, Elsevier Academic Press, Burlington, Mass, USA, 2005.
- Q. Hu, M. Sommerfeld, E. Jarvis et al., “Microalgal triacylglycerols as feedstocks for biofuel production: perspectives and advances,” Plant Journal, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 621–639, 2008.
- P. Leonardi, C. Popovich, and M. Damiani, Feedstocks for Second-Generation Biodiesel: Microalgae's Biology and Oil Composition, Economic Effects of Biofuel Production, 2011, http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/feedstocks-for-second-generation-biodiesel-microalgae-s-biology-and-oil-composition.
- H. Hu and K. Gao, “Response of growth and fatty acid compositions of Nannochloropsis sp. to environmental factors under elevated CO2 concentration,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 28, no. 13, pp. 987–992, 2006.
- L. Rodolfi, G. C. Zittelli, N. Bassi et al., “Microalgae for oil: strain selection, induction of lipid synthesis and outdoor mass cultivation in a low-cost photobioreactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 100–112, 2009.
- S. M. Renaud, D. L. Parry, L. V. Thinh, C. Kuo, A. Padovan, and N. Sammy, “Effect of light intensity on the proximate biochemical and fatty acid composition of Isochrysis sp. and Nannochloropsis oculata for use in tropical aquaculture,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 43–53, 1991.
- A. Sukenik and Y. Carmeli, “Regulation of Fatty Acid Composition by Irradiance Level in the Eustigmatophyte Nannochloropsis sp.,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 25, pp. 686–692, 1989.
- D. Pal, I. Khozin-Goldberg, Z. Cohen, and S. Boussiba, “The effect of light, salinity, and nitrogen availability on lipid production by Nannochloropsis sp.,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1429–1441, 2011.
- A. Converti, A. A. Casazza, E. Y. Ortiz, P. Perego, and M. del Borghi, “Effect of temperature and nitrogen concentration on the growth and lipid content of Nannochloropsis oculata and Chlorella vulgaris for biodiesel production,” Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1146–1151, 2009.
- A. Sukenik, O. Zmora, and Y. Carmeli, “Biochemical quality of marine unicellular algae with special emphasis on lipid composition. II. Nannochloropsis sp.,” Aquaculture, vol. 117, no. 3-4, pp. 313–326, 1993.
- J. Volkman, M. Brown, G. Dunstan, and S. Jeffrey, “Biochemical composition of marine microalgae from the class Eustigmatophyceae,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 29, pp. 69–78, 1993.
- I. Khozin-Goldberg and S. Boussiba, “Concerns over the reporting of inconsistent data on fatty acid composition for microalgae of the genus Nannochloropsis (Eustigmatophyceae),” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 933–934, 2011.
- P. A. Hodgson, R. J. Henderson, J. R. Sargent, and J. W. Leftley, “Patterns of variation in the lipid class and fatty acid composition of Nannochloropsis oculata (Eustigmatophyceae) during batch culture,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 169–181, 1991.
- A. Sukenik, Y. Yamaguchi, and A. Livne, “Alterations in lipid molecular species of the marine eustigmatophyte Nannochloropsis sp.,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 620–626, 1993.