- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 956975, 9 pages
CFD Modeling of Solid Suspension in a Stirred Tank: Effect of Drag Models and Turbulent Dispersion on Cloud Height
1ANSYS Fluent India Pvt. Ltd., MIDC, Plot No. 34/1, Rajiv Gandhi IT Park, Hinjewadi, Pune 411057, India
2ANSYS UK Ltd., Sheffield Business Park, 6 Europa View, Sheffield S9 1XH, UK
3ANSYS Inc., 1007 Church Street, Suite 250, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
4BHR Group, The Fluid Engineering Centre, Cranfield, Bedfordshire MK43 0AJ, UK
Received 10 February 2012; Accepted 13 April 2012
Academic Editor: Nandkishor Nere
Copyright © 2012 Shitanshu Gohel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. N. Zwietering, “Suspending of solid particles in liquid by agitators,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 244–253, 1958.
- K. J. Bittorf and S. M. Kresta, “Prediction of cloud height for solid suspensions in stirred tanks,” in Proceedings of the CHISA Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, August 2002.
- A. Ochieng and M. S. Onyango, “CFD simulation of solids suspension in stirred tanks: review,” Hemijska Industrija, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 365–374, 2010.
- S. Decker and M. Sommerfeld, “Calculation of particle suspension in agitated vessels with the Euler-Lagrange approach,” in Proceedings of the IChemE Symposium Series, no. 140, pp. 71–82, July 1996.
- J. J. Derksen, “Numerical simulation of solids suspension in a stirred tank,” AIChE Journal, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 2700–2714, 2003.
- H. Barrue, C. Xureb, and J. Bertrand, “A computational study on solid suspension in stirred reactor,” in Proceedings of the ECCE 1, p. 1843, Florence, Italy, 1997.
- G. Montante and F. Magelli, “Modelling of solids distribution in stirred tanks: analysis of simulation strategies and comparison with experimental data,” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 253–262, 2005.
- G. Micale, F. Grisafi, L. Rizzuti, and A. Brucato, “CFD simulation of particle suspension height in stirred vessels,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 1204–1213, 2004.
- A. R. Khopkar, G. R. Kasat, A. B. Pandit, and V. V. Ranade, “Computational fluid dynamics simulation of the solid suspension in a stirred slurry reactor,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 4416–4428, 2006.
- M. Spidla, M. Mostek, V. Sinevic, M. Jahoda, and V. Machon, “Experimental assessment and CFD simulations of local solid concentration profiles in a pilot-scale stirred tank,” Chemical Papers, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 386–393, 2005.
- G. Micale, G. Montante, F. Grisafi, A. Brucato, and J. Godfrey, “CFD simulation of particle distribution in stirred vessels,” Transactions of IChemE, Part A, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 435–444, 2000.
- G. R. Kasat, A. R. Khopkar, A. B. Pandit, and V. V. Ranade, “CFD simulation of liquid-phase mixing in solid-liquid stirred reactor,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 63, no. 15, pp. 3877–3885, 2008.
- M. V. Sardeshpande, V. A. Juvekar, and V. V. Ranade, “Hysteresis in cloud heights during solid suspension in stirred tank reactor: experiments and CFD simulations,” AIChE Journal, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 2795–2804, 2010.
- M. Ljungqvist and A. Rasmuson, “Numerical simulation of the two-phase flow in an axially stirred vessel,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 533–546, 2001.
- G. Montante, D. Rondini, A. Bakker, and F. Magelli, “CFD predictions of solid concentration distributions in a baffled stirred vessel agitated with multiple PBT impellers,” in Proceedings of the CHISA Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, August 2002.
- A. Ochieng and A. E. Lewis, “CFD simulation of solids off-bottom suspension and cloud height,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 82, no. 1-2, pp. 1–12, 2006.
- R. Angst, E. Harnack, M. Singh, and M. Kraume, “Grid and model dependency of the solid/liquid two-phase flow CFD simulation of stirred reactors,” in Proceedings of the 11th European Conference of Mixing, p. 347, Bambarg, Germany, 2003.
- A. Ochieng and A. E. Lewis, “Nickel solids concentration distribution in a stirred tank,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 180–189, 2006.
- D. F. Fletcher and G. J. Brown, “Numerical simulation of solid suspension via mechanical agitation: effect of the modelling approach, turbulence model and hindered settling drag law,” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 173–187, 2009.
- H. Barrue, J. Bertrand, B. Cristol, and C. Xuereb, “Eulerian simulation of dense solid-liquid suspension in multi-stage stirred vessel,” Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 585–594, 2001.
- ANSYS FLUENT 13.0 Documentation, ANSYS, Inc., Canonsburg, Pa, USA.
- J. Ding and D. Gidaspow, “Bubbling fluidization model using kinetic theory of granular flow,” AIChE Journal, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 523–538, 1990.
- E. Deutsch and O. Simonin, “Large eddy simulation applied to the motion of particles in stationary homogeneous fluid turbulence,” in Turbulence Modifications in Multiphase Flows, vol. 110, pp. 35–42, ASME Fluids Engineering Division, 1991.
- O. Simonin, E. Deutsch, and J. P. Minier, “Eulerian prediction of the fluid/particle correlated motion in turbulent two-phase flows,” Advances in turbulence 4, Applied Scientific Research, vol. 51, no. 1-2, pp. 275–283, 1993.