- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 128936, 13 pages
Hybrid Multiphase CFD Solver for Coupled Dispersed/Segregated Flows in Liquid-Liquid Extraction
1Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
2OpenCFD Limited Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1BW, UK
Received 26 November 2012; Accepted 19 February 2013
Academic Editor: Alírio Rodrigues
Copyright © 2013 Kent E. Wardle and Henry G. Weller. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Cerne, S. Petelin, and I. Tiselj, “Coupling of the interface tracking and the two-fluid models for the simulation of incompressible two-phase flow,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 776–804, 2001.
- L. Strubelj and I. Tiselj, “Two-fluid model with interface sharpening,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 85, pp. 575–590, 2011.
- L. Štrubelj, I. Tiselj, and B. Mavko, “Simulations of free surface flows with implementation of surface tension and interface sharpening in the two-fluid model,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 741–750, 2009.
- K. Yan and D. Che, “A coupled model for simulation of the gas-liquid two-phase flow with complex flow patterns,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 333–348, 2010.
- K. E. Wardle, T. R. Allen, M. H. Anderson, and R. E. Swaney, “Analysis of the effect of mixing vane geometry on the flow in an annular centrifugal contactor,” AIChE Journal, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 2244–2259, 2009.
- K. E. Wardle, T. R. Allen, and R. Swaney, “CFD simulation of the separation zone of an annular centrifugal contactor,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 517–542, 2009.
- S. Vedantam, K. E. Wardle, T. V. Tamhane, V. V. Ranade, and J. B. Joshi, “CFD simulation of annular centrifugal extractors,” International Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 759397, 31 pages, 2012.
- K. E. Wardle, “Open-source CFD simulations of liquid-liquid flow in the annular centrifugal contactor,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 46, no. 15, pp. 2409–2417, 2011.
- N. T. Padial-Collins, D. Z. Zhang, Q. Zou, X. Ma, and W. B. VanderHeyden, “Centrifugal contactors: separation of an aqueous and an organic stream in the rotor zone (LA-UR-05-7800),” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1001–1023, 2006.
- S. Li, W. Duan, J. Chen, and J. Wang, “CFD simulation of gas-liquid-liquid three-phase flow in an annular centrifugal contactor,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 51, pp. 11245–11253, 2012.
- K. E. Wardle, “FY12 summary report on liquid-liquid contactor experiments for CFD model validation,” Tech. Rep., Argonne National Laboratory, 2012.
- J. Brackbill, D. Kothe, and C. Zemach, “A continuum method for modeling surface tension,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 335–354, 1992.
- L. Schiller and Z. Naumann, “A drag coefficient corellation,” Zeitschrift des Vereins Deutscher Ingenieure, vol. 77, p. 318, 1935.
- H. G. Weller, “A new approach to VOF-based interface capturing methods for incompressible and compressible flow,” Tech. Rep., OpenCFD, 2008.
- V. R. Gopala and B. G. M. van Wachem, “Volume of fluid methods for immiscible-fluid and free-surface flows,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 141, no. 1–3, pp. 204–221, 2008.
- G. Erne, S. Petelin, and I. Tiselj, “Numerical errors of the volume-of-fluid interface tracking algorithm,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 329–350, 2002.
- K. E. Wardle, T. R. Allen, M. H. Anderson, and R. E. Swaney, “Free surface flow in the mixing zone of an annular centrifugal contactor,” AIChE Journal, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 74–85, 2008.
- M. J. Sathe, S. S. Deshmukh, J. B. Joshi, and S. B. Koganti, “Computational fluid dynamics simulation and experimental investigation: study of two-phase liquid-liquid flow in a vertical Taylor-couette contactor,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 14–28, 2010.
- K. E. Wardle, T. R. Allen, M. H. Anderson, and R. E. Swaney, “Experimental study of the hydraulic operation of an annular centrifugal contactor with various mixing vane geometries,” AIChE Journal, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1960–1974, 2010.
- M. Attarakih, M. Jaradat, C. Drumm et al., “Solution of the population balance equation using the one primary and one secondary particle method,” in Proceedings of the 19th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering (ESCAPE '09), 2009.
- C. Drumm, M. Attarakih, M. W. Hlawitschka, and H. J. Bart, “One-group reduced population balance model for CFD simulation of a pilot-plant extraction column,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 3442–3452, 2010.