- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 297941, 9 pages
Effect of Operating Conditions on Catalytic Gasification of Bamboo in a Fluidized Bed
1Division of Agricultural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Agro-Industry, Maejo University, Chiang Mai 50290, Thailand
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Received 19 March 2013; Revised 3 June 2013; Accepted 3 June 2013
Academic Editor: Deepak Kunzru
Copyright © 2013 Thanasit Wongsiriamnuay et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Lv, J. Chang, T. Wang, Y. Fu, Y. Chen, and J. Zhu, “Hydrogen-rich gas production from biomass catalytic gasification,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 228–233, 2004.
- L. Wei, S. Xu, L. Zhang, C. Liu, H. Zhu, and S. Liu, “Steam gasification of biomass for hydrogen-rich gas in a free-fall reactor,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2007.
- S. Panigrahi, A. K. Dalai, S. T. Chaudhari, and N. N. Bakhshi, “Synthesis gas production from steam gasification of biomass-derived oil,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 637–642, 2003.
- M. K. Ko, W.-Y. Lee, S.-B. Kim, K.-W. Lee, and H.-S. Chun, “Gasification of food waste with steam in fluidized bed,” The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 961–964, 2001.
- E. Kantarelis, J. Liu, W. Yang, and W. Blasiak, “Sustainable valorization of bamboo via high-temperature steam pyrolysis for energy production and added value materials,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 6142–6150, 2010.
- T. Wongsiriamnuay and N. Tippayawong, “Thermogravimetric analysis of giant sensitive plants under air atmosphere,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 23, pp. 9314–9320, 2010.
- B. Acharya, A. Dutta, and P. Basu, “An investigation into steam gasification of biomass for hydrogen enriched gas production in presence of CaO,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 1582–1589, 2010.
- J. Li, Y. Yin, X. Zhang, J. Liu, and R. Yan, “Hydrogen-rich gas production by steam gasification of palm oil wastes over supported tri-metallic catalyst,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 34, no. 22, pp. 9108–9115, 2009.
- T. Wongsiriamnuay and N. Tippayawong, “Product gas distribution and composition from catalyzed gasification of mimosa,” International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 363–368, 2012.
- B. Moghtaderi, “Effects of controlling parameters on production of hydrogen by catalytic steam gasification of biomass at low temperatures,” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 15, pp. 2422–2430, 2007.
- A. C. C. Chang, H.-F. Chang, F.-J. Lin, K.-H. Lin, and C.-H. Chen, “Biomass gasification for hydrogen production,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 36, no. 21, pp. 14252–14260, 2011.
- C. Li and K. Suzuki, “Tar property, analysis, reforming mechanism and model for biomass gasification-An overview,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 594–604, 2009.
- Q.-Z. Yu, C. Brage, T. Nordgreen, and K. Sjöström, “Effects of Chinese dolomites on tar cracking in gasification of birch,” Fuel, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 1922–1926, 2009.
- A. K. Dalai, E. Sasaoka, H. Hikita, and D. Ferdoust, “Catalytic gasification of sawdust derived from various biomass,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1456–1463, 2003.
- M. Asadullah, S.-I. Ito, K. Kunimori, M. Yamada, and K. Tomishige, “Biomass gasification to hydrogen and syngas at low temperature: novel catalytic system using fluidized-bed reactor,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 208, no. 2, pp. 255–259, 2002.
- K.-Y. Chiang, Y.-S. Chen, W.-S. Tsai, C.-H. Lu, and K.-L. Chien, “Effect of calcium based catalyst on production of synthesis gas in gasification of waste bamboo chopsticks,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 37, no. 18, pp. 13737–13745, 2012.
- G. Akay and C. A. Jordan, “Gasification of fuel cane bagasse in a downdraft gasifier: influence of lignocellulosic composition and fuel particle size on syngas composition and yield,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 2274–2283, 2011.
- S. Dasappa, H. V. Sridhar, G. Sridhar, P. J. Paul, and H. S. Mukunda, “Biomass gasification—a substitute to fossil fuel for heat application,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 637–649, 2003.
- G. Xiao, M.-J. Ni, H. Huang et al., “Fluidized-bed pyrolysis of waste bamboo,” Journal of Zhejiang University A, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1495–1499, 2007.
- W. K. Yu, K. F. Chung, and S. L. Chan, “Axial buckling of bamboo columns in bamboo scaffolds,” Engineering Structures, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 61–73, 2005.
- Y. Li, H. Shen, W. Shan, and T. Han, “Flexural behavior of lightweight bamboosteel composite slabs,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 53, pp. 83–90, 2012.
- T. Y. Lo, H. Z. Cui, P. W. C. Tang, and H. C. Leung, “Strength analysis of bamboo by microscopic investigation of bamboo fibre,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1532–1535, 2008.
- K. Ghavami, “Bamboo as reinforcement in structural concrete elements,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 637–649, 2005.
- W. H. Cheung, S. S. Y. Lau, S. Y. Leung, A. W. M. Ip, and G. McKay, “Characteristics of chemical modified activated carbons from bamboo scaffolding,” The Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 515–523, 2012.
- K. K. H. Choy, J. P. Barford, and G. McKay, “Production of activated carbon from bamboo scaffolding waste—process design, evaluation and sensitivity analysis,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 147–165, 2005.
- A. W. M. Ip, J. P. Barford, and G. McKay, “Production and comparison of high surface area bamboo derived active carbons,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 18, pp. 8909–8916, 2008.
- Q.-S. Liu, T. Zheng, P. Wang, and L. Guo, “Preparation and characterization of activated carbon from bamboo by microwave-induced phosphoric acid activation,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 233–238, 2010.
- S.-F. Lo, S.-Y. Wang, M.-J. Tsai, and L.-D. Lin, “Adsorption capacity and removal efficiency of heavy metal ions by Moso and Ma bamboo activated carbons,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 1397–1406, 2011.
- E. L. K. Mui, W. H. Cheung, M. Valix, and G. Mckay, “Activated carbons from bamboo scaffolding using acid activation,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 213–218, 2010.
- Z. Jiang, Z. Liu, B. Fei, Z. Cai, Y. Yu, and X. Liu, “The pyrolysis characteristics of moso bamboo,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 94, pp. 48–52, 2012.
- S.-H. Jung, B.-S. Kang, and J.-S. Kim, “Production of bio-oil from rice straw and bamboo sawdust under various reaction conditions in a fast pyrolysis plant equipped with a fluidized bed and a char separation system,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 240–247, 2008.
- M. Krzesińska and J. Zachariasz, “The effect of pyrolysis temperature on the physical properties of monolithic carbons derived from solid iron bamboo,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 209–215, 2007.
- R. Lou, S.-B. Wu, and G.-J. Lv, “Effect of conditions on fast pyrolysis of bamboo lignin,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 2010.
- E. L. K. Mui, W. H. Cheung, V. K. C. Lee, and G. McKay, “Compensation effect during the pyrolysis of tyres and bamboo,” Waste Management, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 821–830, 2010.
- K. Umeki, T. Namioka, and K. Yoshikawa, “The effect of steam on pyrolysis and char reactions behavior during rice straw gasification,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 2012.
- G. Xiao, Y. Chi, M. Ni, and K. Cen, “Study on fluidized-bed gasification of bamboo,” Acta Energiae Solaris Sinica, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 814–818, 2007.
- N. Kannang, T. Wongsiriamnuay, and N. Tippayawong, “Fuel gas production from low temperature gasification of bamboo in fluidized bed reactor,” in Proceedings of the International conference of the Thai Society of Agricultural Engineering, Chiangmai, Thailand., 2012.
- G. Gautam, S. Adhikari, S. Thangalazhy-Gopakumar, C. Brodbeck, S. Bhavnani, and S. Taylor, “Tar analysis in syngas derived from pelletized biomass in a commercial stratified downdraft gasifier,” BioResources, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 4652–4661, 2011.
- P. M. Lv, Z. H. Xiong, J. Chang, C. Z. Wu, Y. Chen, and J. X. Zhu, “An experimental study on biomass air-steam gasification in a fluidized bed,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2004.
- S. H. Lee, K. B. Choi, J. G. Lee, and J. H. Kim, “Gasification characteristics of combustible wastes in a 5 ton/day fixed bed gasifier,” The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 576–580, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, S. Kajitani, M. Ashizawa, and Y. Oki, “Tar destruction and coke formation during rapid pyrolysis and gasification of biomass in a drop-tube furnace,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 302–309, 2010.
- V. Skoulou, G. Koufodimos, Z. Samaras, and A. Zabaniotou, “Low temperature gasification of olive kernels in a 5-kW fluidized bed reactor for H2-rich producer gas,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 33, no. 22, pp. 6515–6524, 2008.
- A. Montoya, T.-T. T. Truong, F. Mondragón, and T. N. Truong, “CO desorption from oxygen species on carbonaceous surface: 1. Effects of the local structure of the active site and the surface coverage,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 105, no. 27, pp. 6757–6764, 2001.
- H.-K. Seo, S. Park, J. Lee et al., “Effects of operating factors in the coal gasification reaction,” The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1851–1858, 2011.
- K. G. Mansaray, A. E. Ghaly, A. M. Al-Taweel, F. Hamdullahpur, and V. I. Ugursal, “Air gasification of rice husk in a dual distributor type fluidized bed gasifier,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 315–332, 1999.
- J. M. de Andrés, A. Narros, and M. E. Rodríguez, “Behaviour of dolomite, olivine and alumina as primary catalysts in air-steam gasification of sewage sludge,” Fuel, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 521–527, 2011.
- P. Subramanian, A. Sampathrajan, and P. Venkatachalam, “Fluidized bed gasification of select granular biomaterials,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 1914–1920, 2011.
- I. Narváez, A. Orío, M. P. Aznar, and J. Corella, “Biomass gasification with air in an atmospheric bubbling fluidized bed. Effect of six operational variables on the quality of the produced raw gas,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 2110–2120, 1996.
- T.-Y. Mun, P.-G. Seon, and J.-S. Kim, “Production of a producer gas from woody waste via air gasification using activated carbon and a two-stage gasifier and characterization of tar,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 3226–3234, 2010.
- P. Basu, Biomass Gasification and Pyrolysis: Practical Design and Theory, Academic Press, Boston, Mass, USA, 2010.