- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 438270, 8 pages
Effect of Additives and Process Variables on Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Macauba Kernel Oil (Acrocomia aculeata)
1Program of Post-Graduation in Bioenergy, Maringa State University, UEM, Avenida Colombo 5790, 87020-900 Maringa, PR, Brazil
2Department of Chemical Engineering, Maringa State University, UEM, Avenida Colombo 5790, 87020-900 Maringa, PR, Brazil
3Department of Technology, Maringá State University, UEM, 87506-370 Umuarama, PR, Brazil
Received 19 August 2013; Accepted 22 September 2013
Academic Editor: Donald L. Feke
Copyright © 2013 Djéssica Tatiane Raspe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Huang, Y. Liu, Z. Song, Q. Jin, Y. Liu, and X. Wang, “Kinetic study on the effect of ultrasound on lipase-catalyzed hydrolysis of soy oil: study of the interfacial area and the initial rates,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 521–525, 2010.
- S. S. Kaki and P. Adlercreutz, “Quantitative analysis of enzymatic fractionation of multiple substrate mixtures,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 78–86, 2013.
- I. I. Junior, M. C. Flores, F. K. Sutili et al., “Fatty acids residue from palm oil refining process as feedstock for lipase catalyzed monoacylglicerol production under batch and continuous flow conditions,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 77, pp. 53–58, 2012.
- I. Itabaiana Jr, F. K. Sutili, S. G. F. Leite et al., “Continuous flow valorization of fatty acid waste using silica-immobilized lipases,” Green Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 518–524, 2013.
- O. W. D. Gamboa and L. A. Gioielli, “Comportamento de Cristalização de Lipídios estruturados obtidos a partir de gordura de palmiste e óleo de peixe,” Química Nova, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 646–653, 2006.
- L. Freitas, T. Bueno, V. H. Perez, J. C. Santos, and H. F. De Castro, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of soybean oil using lipase from different sources to yield concentrated of polyunsaturated fatty acids,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1725–1731, 2007.
- N. Paroul, L. P. Grzegozeski, V. Chiaradia et al., “Solvent-free production of bioflavors by enzymatic esterification of citronella (Cymbopogon winterianus) essential oil,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2012.
- P. Goyal, M. P. Sharma, and S. Jain, “Optimization of conversion of high free fatty acid Jatropha curcas oil to biodiesel using response surface methodology,” ISRN Chemical Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 327049, 8 pages, 2012.
- D. C. Lopes and A. J. Steidle-Neto, “Potential crops for biodiesel production in Brazil: a review,” World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 206–217, 2011.
- P. E. Motta, A. T. Oliveira Filho, and J. B. V. Gomes, “Ocorrência da Macaúba em Minas Gerais: relação com atributos climáticos, pedológicos e vegetacionais,” Pesquisa Agropecuária Brasileira, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1023–1031, 2002.
- J. A. Ratter, S. Bridgewater, and J. F. Ribeiro, “Analysis of the floristic composition of the Brazilian cerrado vegetation III: comparison of the woody vegetation of 376 areas,” Edinburgh Journal of Botany, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 57–109, 2003.
- T. P. Pires, E. S. Souza, K. N. Kuki, and S. Y. Motoike, “Ecophysiological traits of the macaw palm: a contribuition towards the domestication of a novel oil crop,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 200–210, 2013.
- R. Roscoe, A. Richetti, and E. Maranho, “Análise de viabilidade técnica de oleaginosas para produção de biodiesel em Mato Grosso do Sul,” Revista Política Agricola, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 48–59, 2007.
- J. S. S. Pinto and F. M. Lança, “Hidrólise do Óleo de Azadirachta indica em água subcrítica e determinação da composição dos triacilglicerídeos e ácidos graxos por cromatografia gasosa de alta resolução e alta temperatura e cromatografia gasosa de alta resolução acoplada à espectrometria de massas,” Química Nova, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 394–397, 2010.
- D. Goswami, R. Sen, J. K. Basu, and S. De, “Surfactant enhanced ricinoleic acid production using Candida rugosa lipase,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2010.
- D. Goswami, J. K. Basu, and S. De, “Optimal hydrolysis of mustard oil to erucic acid: a biocatalytic approach,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 181-182, pp. 542–548, 2012.
- H. F. De Castro, A. A. Mendes, J. C. Dos Santos, and C. L. De Aguiar, “Modification of oils and fats by biotransformation,” Química Nova, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 146–156, 2004.
- A. A. Mendes and H. Ferreira De Castro, “Effect on the enzymatic hydrolysis of lipids from dairy wastewater by replacing Gum Arabic emulsifier for sodium chloride,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 48, pp. 135–142, 2005.
- P. Skagerlind, M. Jansson, B. Bergenståhl, and K. Hult, “Binding of Rhizomucor miehei lipase to emulsion interfaces and its interference with surfactants,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 129–135, 1995.
- M. Persson, I. Mladenoska, E. Wehtje, and P. Adlercreutz, “Preparation of lipases for use in organic solvents,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 833–841, 2002.
- J. K. Satyarthi, D. Srinivas, and P. Ratnasamy, “Estimation of free fatty acid content in oils, fats, and biodiesel by 1H NMR spectroscopy,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 2273–2277, 2009.
- C. Sharon, M. Nakazato, H. I. Ogawa, and Y. Kato, “Lipase-induced hydrolysis of castor oil: effect of various metals,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 292–295, 1998.
- M. T. Ru, J. S. Dordick, J. A. Reimer, and D. Clark D, “Optimizing the salt-induced activation of enzymes in organic solvents,” Biotechnology Bioengineering, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 233–241, 1999.
- M. H. M. Avelar, D. M. J. Cassimiro, K. C. Santos, R. C. C. Domingues, H. F. Castro, and A. A. Mendes, “Hydrolysis of vegetable oils catalyzed by lipase extract powder from dormant castor bean seeds,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 452–458, 2013.
- S. R. Kulkarni and A. B. Pandit, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of castor oil: an approach for rate enhancement and enzyme economy,” Indian Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 2005.
- M. S. Puthli, V. K. Rathod, and A. B. Pandit, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of castor oil: process intensification studies,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 2006.
- N. A. Serri, A. H. Kamarudin, and S. N. Abdul Rahaman, “Preliminary studies for production of fatty acids from hydrolysis of cooking palm oil using C. rugosa lipase,” Journal of Physical Science, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 79–88, 2008.
- M. M. R. Talukder, J. C. Wu, N. M. Fen, and Y. L. S. Melissa, “Two-step lipase catalysis for production of biodiesel,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 207–212, 2010.
- C. Sharma, P. Satyendra, A. Chaurasiab, and K. Dalai, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of cod liver oil for the fatty acids production,” Catalysis Today, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 93–100, 2013.
- W. J. Ting, K. Y. Tung, R. Giridhar, and W. T. Wu, “Application of binary immobilized Candida rugosa lipase for hydrolysis of soybean oil,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 42, no. 1-2, pp. 32–38, 2006.
- D. Goswami, J. K. Basu, and S. De, “Optimization of process variables in castor oil hydrolysis by Candida rugosa lipase with buffer as dispersion medium,” Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 220–224, 2009.
- V. K. Rathod and A. B. Pandit, “Effect of various additives on enzymatic hydrolysis of castor oil,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 47, no. 1–3, pp. 93–99, 2009.
- E. A. Cavalcanti-Oliveira, P. R. Da Silva, A. P. Ramos, D. A. G. Aranda, and D. M. G. Freire, “Study of soybean oil hydrolysis catalyzed by Thermomyces lanuginosus lipase and its application to biodiesel production via hydroesterification,” Enzyme Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 618692, 8 pages, 2011.
- G. Gomori, “Preparation of buffers for use in enzyme studies,” in “Methods in Enzymology, S. P. Colowick and N. O. Kaplan, Eds., vol. 1, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1955.
- AOCS, American Oil Chemists' Society, Official Methods and Recommended Practices, vol. 2, Champaign, Ill, USA, 4th edition, 1998.
- L. S. Chua and M. R. Sarmidi, “Effect of solvent and initial water content on (R, S)-1-phenylethanol resolution,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 38, no. 3-4, pp. 551–556, 2006.
- Y. Liu, Q. Jin, L. Shan, Y. Liu, W. Shen, and X. Wang, “The effect of ultrasound on lipase-catalyzed hydrolysis of soy oil in solvent-free system,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 402–407, 2008.
- B. D. Ribeiro, M. A. Z. Coelho, and D. W. Barreto, “Production of concentrated natural beta-carotene from buriti (Mauritia vinifera) oil by enzymatic hydrolysis,” Food and Bioproducts Processing, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 141–147, 2012.
- Z. A. Jarjes, R. S. Mohammed, and A. G. Sulaiman, “Bio-electrode in mechanistic study of lipoxygenase with fatty acids from cooking palm oil,” The Open Electrochemistry Journal, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2012.
- R. C. Rodrigues and R. Fernandez-Lafuente, “Lipase from Rhizomucor miehei as a biocatalyst in fats and oils modification,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 66, no. 1-2, pp. 15–32, 2010.
- M. J. Hernáiz, M. Rua, B. Celda, P. Medina, J. V. Sinisterra, and J. M. Sánchez-Montero, “Contribution to the study of the alteration of lipase activity of Candida rugosa by ions and buffers,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 213–229, 1994.
- S. Benjamin and A. Pandey, “Isolation and characterization of three distinct forms of lipases from Candida rugosa produced in solid state fermentation,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 213–221, 2001.
- A. Sadana, Biocatalysis Fundamentals of Enzyme Deactivation Kinetics, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1991.
- I. Babicz, S. G. F. Leite, R. O. M. A. de Souza, and O. A. C. Antunes, “Lipase-catalyzed diacylglycerol production under sonochemical irradiation,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 4–6, 2010.
- J. K. Satyarthi, D. Srinivas, and P. Ratnasamy, “Hydrolysis of vegetable oils and fats to fatty acids over solid acid catalysts,” Applied Catalysis A, vol. 391, no. 1-2, pp. 427–435, 2011.
- L. S. Chua, M. Alitabarimansor, C. T. Lee, and R. Mat, “Hydrolysis of virgin coconut oil using immobilized lipase in a batch reactor,” Enzyme Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 542589, 5 pages, 2012.
- C. Pizarro, M. C. Brañes, A. Markovits et al., “Influence of different immobilization techniques for Candida cylindracea lipase on its stability and fish oil hydrolysis,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 78, pp. 111–118, 2012.
- L. Batistella, M. K. Ustra, A. Richetti et al., “Assessment of two immobilized lipases activity and stability to low temperatures in organic solvents under ultrasound-assisted irradiation,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 351–358, 2012.
- D. Y. Kwon, H. N. Song, and S. H. Yoon, “Synthesis of medium-chain glycerides by lipase in organic solvent,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 73, no. 11, pp. 1521–1525, 1996.
- C. S. Chen and C. J. Sih, “General aspects and optimization of enantioselective biocatalysis in organic solvents: the use of lipases,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 695–707, 1989.
- S.-J. Kuo and K. L. Parkin, “Solvent polarity influences product selectivity of lipase-mediated esterification reactions in microaqueous media,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 73, no. 11, pp. 1427–1433, 1996.
- L. A. Lerin, A. Richetti, R. Dallago et al., “Enzymatic synthesis of ascorbyl palmitate in organic solvents: process optimization and kinetic evaluation,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1068–1076, 2012.
- E.-T. Phuah, O.-M. Lai, T. S.-Y. Choong, C.-P. Tan, and S.-K. Lo, “Kinetic study on partial hydrolysis of palm oil catalyzed by Rhizomucor miehei lipase,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 78, pp. 91–97, 2012.
- N. López, M. A. Pernas, L. M. Pastrana, A. Sánchez, F. Valero, and M. L. Rúa, “Reactivity of pure Candida rugosa lipase isoenzymes (Lip1, Lip2, and Lip3) in aqueous and organic media. Influence of the isoenzymatic profile on the lipase performance in organic media,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 65–73, 2004.
- D. Rooney and L. R. Weatherley, “The effect of reaction conditions upon lipase catalysed hydrolysis of high oleate sunflower oil in a stirred liquid-liquid reactor,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 947–953, 2001.
- Y. Meng, G. Wang, N. Yang et al., “Two-step synthesis of fatty acid ethyl ester from soybean oil catalyzed by Yarrowia lipolytica lipase,” Biotechnology for Biofuels, vol. 4, no. 1, article 6, 2011.